Rockstar Warns Against Installing the Grand Theft Auto V Play Disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockstar Warns Against Installing the Grand Theft Auto V Play Disc

Grand Theft Auto V comes on two discs, at least for the Xbox 360 version of the game. One is an install disc while the other is labeled as the play disc. Some gamers may think that installing both discs to the hard drive would result in the best loading times possible, right? Wrong!
    [tweet]379493174768439296[/tweet]

Rockstar has issued a warning that you should only install the content from the install disc and not anything from the play disc. If you ignore this warning, be prepared to experience a higher than normal rate of texture loading and objects popping in. Eurogamer's Digital Foundry released a video and explanation for why this is important.

"When you first get the game, the first order of business is installing the mandatory content from disc one - this accounts for 7.7GB of data to install on your hard drive. Now, there's absolutely nothing stopping you installing disc two - the 'play' disc - onto the hard drive too, using the Xbox 360's dashboard to do so. It takes up an additional 7.8GB of storage. However, doing so impacts the game's ability to stream texture data, resulting in regular pop-in of in-game objects and textures.

"So what's the story here? Well, optimal streaming is achieved by making us of all the available bandwidth in the system. Why stream just from the hard drive when you can run in data simultaneously from both the disc and the HDD? Based on what we're seeing on the Xbox 360 version, perhaps running both DVD and HDD assets from just the one source slows down access times, impacting streaming performance. It's not game-breaking stuff, but it does take you out of the moment when it does manifest and for that reason we can't recommend installing the play disc."

It should be noted that there will be a digital only release of the game for the PlayStation 3. It will be interesting to see how that version of the game compares with the mix of hard drive and disc for the non-digital release.

maybe rhw PS has a faster HDD.

By the way. is there a SSD for the existing consoles?

Comment

I also heard that if you don't want to have the disc spinning constantly you can install it onto a flash drive and play from that.

Comment

Originally posted by papasmurf128 View Post
        I also heard that if you don't want to have the disc spinning constantly you can install it onto a flash drive and play from that.
        I would look into that.

The whole idea of a spinning platter for the graphics boggles my mind. Its like going backwards.
        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by papasmurf128 View Post
          It works, I tried it yesterday.

There is a video and it looks the same (perhaps 5% better) as the disc.

I really prefer installing in the HDD/flash drive than hearing the jumbo jet engine noise the fans make.

Comment

Working...
          X