The Road to Battlefield 4: Dialing Up the Team Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road to Battlefield 4: Dialing Up the Team Play

The Battlefield 4 team updated their blog with a new entry that highlights the focus on team play. Here is Thomas "Tompen" Andersson, the Lead Multiplayer Designer for Battlefield 4, talking up the importance of teamwork and how Levolution plays a role in it.
    Class reunion with a twist
    The four playable kits from Battlefield 3 will be back in Battlefield 4: Engineer, Recon, Support, and Assault. While keeping these core kits intact, we are increasing the ability for players to more strongly specialize their combat role while also increasing flexibility and catering to different play styles. At the same time, we’re maintaining a distinct flavor in the different kits and building more meaningful interactions between them. We will go more in-depth on the specific classes in the next blog post.

No matter your play style, we have an extremely deep collection of features in Battlefield 4, and we want to make sure that you can experience that wide array of options available to you. Looking at Battlefield 3, I think only a fraction of our players have tried all available gadgets or vehicles in multiplayer. Of course you don’t have to use everything in the game, but I think we can do a better job in BF4 of letting players make more educated choices in their kit loadouts and combat roles.

I think some players in Battlefield 3 stuck with the default Assault loadout. That’s fine – there’s a reason why it’s the default – but I think they’re missing out on so much amazing variety. In Battlefield 4, we’re clearly displaying what gadgets can do for you, how different weapons compare, and how they affect your options on the Battlefield.

Great team play = great perks
    We have this new concept called Field Upgrades. If you’re a long term fan that played Battlefield 2142, you will already have an idea what these are, but we have tweaked them for Battlefield 4. In short, Field Upgrades are chained boosts that can affect a number of gameplay mechanics for your player. Similar to the specializations in Battlefield 3, these can for example provide you with faster sprint speed, stronger personal armor, or expanded ammo capacity.

The idea behind Field Upgrades is to give individual rewards for squad based team play performance. You earn them through squad scoring such as squad healing, completing objectives with your squad members, squad resupplies, squad repairs, and other squad actions. Instead of one single specialization like in Battlefield 3, you can now pick from different upgrades paths, each containing four specializations. Keep the squad alive, and you will move through the accumulative upgrade path. But watch out! If your entire squad is eliminated, you will lose some of your progress.

Showing you how team play gives you the edge in the bigger battle is paramount for us, and it involves all elements of the game: audiovisual feedback, user interface, gameplay mechanics, and the way the entire persistence system is designed. When we tie all of these elements together with the tweaked team-based scoring, we have a game where I think everyone will find it satisfying and deeply engrossing to truly be part of a team.

Creating a positive feedback loop
    I’ve always been fascinated by creating interconnected systems and seeing how players use them. A great example in Battlefield 4 is the reward cycle incorporating every link in the chain of command. For example: The Commander issues an order (example: “Capture Base A!”), the Squad Leader passes it on to his squad mates, and the squad gets the work done. This executed order will reward everyone in the command chain and also open up ways for the Commander to further reward his team. This creates an eco-system that I believe will take team play in Battlefield 4 to new heights.

Levolution: The perfect storm
    Watching our fans play Battlefield 3 has taught us a lot about player behavior. As developers, we tend to play our games one way, while fans try a lot of interesting things that we never thought of. Take the antenna on Caspian Border, for example. After players had seen it fall once, we could see them using everything in their arsenal to try and bring it down themselves. It might sound like a simple example, but it was one of the factors that initially made us think about incorporating bigger player-triggered destruction in Battlefield 4 – and that in turn led us to the game-changing concept that is Levolution.

Levolution is an overarching design concept incorporating a lot of features both big and small, that all affect gameplay in some way. You’ve probably already seen what it can do to skyscrapers but it also includes features like changing weather conditions that affects visibility, car alarms and metal detectors alerting players of enemy presence, or the ability to completely shroud a building in darkness and take out the enemies within using your IRNV scopes. Much more than just massive feats of destruction or pretty graphics, the exciting thing about Levolution is how it affects gameplay. From bringing down a skyscraper to securing a zone from enemy vehicles by raising bollards to block entry, Levolution will let you dynamically shape every game. And like so many other elements in Battlefield 4, Levolution also ties into the team play aspect of the game.

For example, depending on your team strengths, collapsing the skyscraper on our E3 map “Siege of Shanghai” can be either a positive or a negative. When you’ve knocked out its four main pillars, the skyscraper will fall in a massive cloud of dust and debris, killing all players unfortunate to be trapped inside. The base that used to be capture point C at the very top of the skyscraper will now be found at ground level, amidst the jarring blocks of concrete and rubble. This new infantry battleground will be clouded by dust, making navigation hard and often seeing players switch to infrared night vision scopes or FLIR. What used to be sniper heaven and the ideal paradrop base has suddenly turned into a low-visibility close quarters combat arena. This is great if you’re all about infantry combat, but if you have a team of great pilots, you will probably want the skyscraper to stay intact.

The next episode of "The Road to Battlefield 4" will include a look at Field Upgrades and how the various upgrade paths work in the game.

(via Battlefield)

Yeah, this is all great and everything, but I played 2142 and believe me when I say that the team play objective stuff happens by accident.

Yes, clans take big advantage of that, but when you are pubbing, its going to be whatever.

Don't get me wrong, Im glad they are adding some of these things, but teamwork is a mindset, not a game feature.
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Yeah, their "positive feedback loops" are going to mean jack. People will cooperate if they will cooperate. It's definitely nice that they reward people who make use of the teamwork features, but it isn't going to influence anyone who would have otherwise not used them to use them.
      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

The absolute number one thing they can do to improve team play in public games is allow public in-game VOIP.

If I can't at least talk to the random people I happen to be in a squad with, you can forget even ATTEMPTING to team play with them.

Yes, voice comm doesn't guarantee team play, but you really can't have it without it.

Comment

Well, good thing they added in-game voip then.

Though I am looking forward to all the people complaining about it not working well and how people just whine on it or dont use it.

That was a big argument I had with people about VoIP. For whatever reason they think it will make Battlefield 100% teamwork like it was in BF2. No, it was never like that, but BF2 is the Holy Land of gaming and that is all they remember.

They will probably just blame console kids for it

Comment

I hardly remember people using VoIP on bf2 or bf2142.

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa View Post
              I hardly remember people using VoIP on bf2 or bf2142.
              RIGHT! And when they did, it sucked.

People dont seem to get how complicated it is to make a good VoIP system. VoIP is VERY latency sensitive and HEY, here is an idea! Lets take a server, make it into 4 BF4 servers with 64 players and each of them have VoIP. What could go wrong? VoIP, thats what!

Comment

I'm not looking forward to constant latency complaints from others in Battlefield 4 then...

Comment

Everyone used external voice chat programs in BF2, just like they did in BF3 and will do in BF4. I'm not really planning on using in-game VOIP at all. I will continue to use Vent to talk to my friends. I doubt I will miss anything.
                  Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

To be fair, Thortok2000 mentioned in the last sentence of his post that in-game VOIP contributes to the foundations of promoting team play, rather than guarantees it. As CptainCrunch and Anarchy1 said, teamwork is a mindset rather than a gameplay feature that can be added into a game. Still, there are features that can encourage and even provoke the player to consider teamwork over YOLOing.

Left 4 Dead encouraged protection of teammates by reducing/cancelling out damage when shooting at teammates under attack, yet discouraged friendly fire and stupid behavior (triggering car alarms, alerting the witch) by notifying all players as to who did it. Hostile Intent encouraged communication by NOT showing who is dead to all players who are alive, which made the voice command "enemy down" that much more useful to both users of VOIP and non-users (heck even the act of tapping the voice chat button on and off is useful to quickly notify all teammates you're still alive). Thing is, both games can still have trolls who have fun by metagaming the intended mechanics of the game.

It's fun to mess around, because if we are all serious gamers, then Saints Row, Garry's Mod, and Just Cause would've failed miserably. So the real question is, aside from having dedicated admins, how can you make players treat the game as it's originally intended? Well, DICE's answer seems to be to make teamplay more fun than YOLOing with improved scoring and better recognition of players who contribute more than troll.

I say HAH! Good luck with that. I just want to see if my character will fart by falling for too long without a parachute in BF4.

Comment

The VOIP moments I recall from BF2 are hearing germans speak while babies where crying on the background, or dogs where barking or their TV was on. Or all of these at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                      X