Battlefield 4 and All Frostbite 3 Titles Optimized for AMD GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 4 and All Frostbite 3 Titles Optimized for AMD GPUs

EA announced a new partnership with AMD that will see all Frostbite 3 titles, including Battlefield 4, optimized for AMD Radeon graphics cards.

The first optimized title will be Battlefield 4, with later releases of Need for Speed Rivals, Mirror's Edge 2, and the rest to all feature the same exclusive optimizations for AMD GPUs and CPUs. While Nvidia cards will be supported, the drivers from Nvidia will not be updated until after the games are released instead of before as will be the case with AMD.

This is, of course, putting into question my decision to go for an Nvidia GTX 770 4GB as the Radeon HD 7970 suddenly became a lot more attractive given this news. Keep in mind that both next-gen consoles (PS4, Wii U, and XBone) are using AMD GPUs and that most cross-platform titles, even those not using Frostbite 3, will probably be better geared for AMD cards at launch.

(via IGN)

Damn. I wanted to build a new computer in a few months and now I'm in doubt.

Comment

Nvidia is probably worrying a bit. AMD is in control of consoles and that gives them this advantage in the PC market.
      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I really wanted a 4GB GTX 770 but now I'm not so sure. If they're priced almost identically to the 7970 GHz Edition, and the performance is almost on par for most benchmarks, I'm not sure what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Zips View Post
          I'm in the same boat. I really wanted a 4GB GTX 770 but now I'm not so sure. If they're priced almost identically to the 7970 GHz Edition, and the performance is almost on par for most benchmarks, I'm not sure what to do.
          The 770 is basically just a 680, but take another look at the 780, it's a bigger step up. The 780 and the Titan are the only cards with the newer core and it's decently priced. Definitely my next card over my current 570.

Comment

I bought a 7970M for my laptop. I usually go Nvidia but I couldn't justify the extra $200 for the 680M. I don't regret that at all. Their performance is almost identical. I assume the same is true for the desktop cards, but I haven't looked into them. I am starting to lean AMD now for my desktop upgrade.
            Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

I might have to go the AMD route when I upgrade my graphics card. Right now I am using a 560 ti which is only two years old.

Comment

I have never had an issue running any "AMD Optimized" game on Nvidia. So I am not too concerned about this news. I dont see it changing anything that is happening today with existing titles and NVidia.
                Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I'm an AMD fanboy (for GPU's at least) so I've had no trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by adamjmac View Post
                    The 770 is basically just a 680, but take another look at the 780, it's a bigger step up. The 780 and the Titan are the only cards with the newer core and it's decently priced. Definitely my next card over my current 570.
                    I'm not jumping up another $100 for a slight performance boost. Right now, yes the 770 is a reworked 680 but at $100 less with clock speeds that are a bit higher.

Comment

All my rigs are AMD so this is wonderful news! The only thing I should need to upgrade when I get back from my deployment is my graphics card. I'll probably shoot for 2 7970s

Comment

I'm still sticking with Nvidia, I did ATI for a long time but got drove nuts with horrible drivers for the video cards in the day and it crashing, never had problems with Nvidia in the past or now. I don't think Nvidia is worried either because they have all their own devices and gadgets that they are coming out with their own products. Again just because things are being set to use ATI's stuff doesn't mean Nvidia won't perform just as well in these games. Plus I'm not worry because I don't plan to buy or play an EA game for the rest of my life lol.

Comment

Intel and NVidia have it all figured out. They are a dominant force and their items have a lot more longevity than other CPU's and GPU's. Point being that a 4 year old Intel machine has a much easier time running a title than a 4 year old AMD. The threading model is something AMD jumped on quickly but never really implemented it efficiently and that is why now Intel is just starting to release quad core processors with threading and the community is actually starting to embrace it. This is all just a marketing ploy from AMD and Battlefield's bosses. Intel will run them just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SvenskaGeoff View Post
                            Intel and NVidia have it all figured out. They are a dominant force and their items have a lot more longevity than other CPU's and GPU's. Point being that a 4 year old Intel machine has a much easier time running a title than a 4 year old AMD. The threading model is something AMD jumped on quickly but never really implemented it efficiently and that is why now Intel is just starting to release quad core processors with threading and the community is actually starting to embrace it. This is all just a marketing ploy from AMD and Battlefield's bosses. Intel will run them just fine.
                            I thought this was more about GPU's than CPU's, so I didn't think it mattered whether you were running an intel processor or not. Even then, its not like nvidia suddenly won't work so you're right about it being pretty much all marketing.

Comment

And exactly how long will it take for Nvidia to put out a BF4 update for their drivers? 2-3 days.
                              As said before; it is not that the game cannot run.

I´m going to upgrade my rig by the time of release and that will be to a 4th gen Intel CPU and if I win the lottery a 780/Titan (who are we kidding, only the Titan if I win a million).

Comment

Working...
                              X