Call of Duty: Ghosts Dev Says Engine is Not New, Just an Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of Duty: Ghosts Dev Says Engine is Not New, Just an Upgrade

I am shocked at this news that the "next-gen" engine at work in Call of Duty: Ghosts is just another incremental update to the Quake III engine base that the series has used for the past eight years now.

So, despite their claims of Ghosts running on a "new next-gen engine" (as actually said during the Xbox One reveal event) it seems as though it's not all that new after all. Here is Infinity Ward's Animation Lead, Zach Volker, fielding a few questions from OPM.
    Can you say what tech the new engine’s built on?

Zach Volker
    The original engine years ago was built on Quake engine. We’ve done so many new engines and overhauls on top of that I’m not sure any of it still exists.

Is it still built from the original tech or is it built on something new?

Zach Volker
    When we’re talking about a new engine we’re talking about upgrading significant systems within in that engine. We’re not talking about throwing it all away and saying we’re starting from the ground up. It comes down to the systems we’re augmenting and upgrading, and trying to decide what is the significance of this upgrade. So there is certainly going to be remnants here and there of our pieces of our last engine, where it was appropriate when, you know what, this doesn’t need any changing. It’s good the way it is. Because at Infinity Ward we make a really clear point to make sure we only upgrade the things that are necessary for driving the things and the gameplay experience we want to push for that project. So just because we could do some cool 3D smoke, that if you walk through it, it ‘poofs’ and moves to the side, if that doesn’t aid in the gameplay experience we’re trying to push then we’re not going to pursue that technology even though we would have the capabilities for it. We make sure the engine is built the way we want it to be built so that it handles as efficiently as possible the things we want to show on the screen.

Shocked, I tell you!

lol, no comment about this on my part. I don't think have anything more to add

Comment

SHOCKED!

Comment

yay! been waiting for this moment... *ahem*

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEE ED IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0 View Post
          yay! been waiting for this moment... *ahem*

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEE ED IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!
          I agree with this statement LOL.

Comment

I am SHOCKED as well!

I mean, who saw this coming? Well, other than the millions of people who stated it and made videos showing how it was not new as well as posting screenshot comparisons.

But aside from that, who would have thought?
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I think they are so scared that if they build a new one, players won't like it and cod will fall off

Comment

Originally posted by Chibabreatha View Post
                I think they are so scared that if they build a new one, players won't like it and cod will fall off
                In my eyes that's not really the only problem. The problem is the graphical and feature updates they are doing now (such as the multiplayer changing map) should have been stuff they have added years ago. But all they changed where the maps, some weapons and some killstreaks. Now people seem to be finally seeing how behind they are, specially with Battlefield 4 which has a clearly superior engine having tons of vehicles, lots of players, lots of action going on, beautiful graphics and all this happening in a huge map at 60fps too and at 1080p.

Comment

IDK, we shall see with Ghosts.

With Activision and Bobby at the helm I don't think it has anything to do with being scared. They have beaten all the selling records since CoD4 and only tweaked things or redone a few items. It's name recognition that drives it now. They don't even market it.

So why put all this time and money on a new engine and design when the old stuff is beating Battlefield 3 in purchases? It's not broke.

If Ghosts is a huge success and breaks all the records again, I dont think we are going to see a lot of change in the next one either. They might use that creepy engine they are working on that reminds me of LA Noir, but just to keep the par on course, not because everyone demanded it or sales were down. It will be the exact same game and features on a new engine. Who knows, they may just reboot them all on the new engine and not make any new CoDs for another 8 years.
                  Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                  Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

We shall see.... Seeing that cod didn't really shock/whoa anyone at e3 and bf4 kind of shitted on everything at e3.... This could be the year they go down. I'm just glad it will be over rated Infinity ward and not Treyarch when it happens. Because Treyarch at least try's to be creative. Infinity ward REALLY treats the game like a cash cow

Comment

True, most COD inovations came with treyarch, where Infinity Ward tries to copy some of those in the year after. Cod Ghosts is a good example of that where they are bringing the dolphin diving and those dynamic elements in the map. Both things introduced by treyarch

Comment

Working...
                      X