System Shock 2 is Now Available on GOG.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Shock 2 is Now Available on GOG.com

System Shock 2, one of the most critically and fan acclaimed games ever, is now available on GOG.com.

The second--and best!--game in the series stands all on its own as a masterpiece of gaming history. The starship Von Braun took a giant leap for mankind as it made its first interstellar journey. The mission was going as planned until a lone distress call from the Tau Ceti V sector was picked up. An away team was sent on a rescue mission, but once it arrived at its destination, there was no sign of any humans and the source of the signal remained unclear. They didn't realize something crucial, though: they brought something back with them when they returned. Now, you--a member of the ship's security team--awake from cryostasis to the sounds of screams of pain and horror as everything falls apart. The state-of-the-art spaceship becomes a deathtrap, and the only hope you have is the contemptuous whisper of a voice guiding you through the dark corridors, leading you towards the ominous secrets that lurk in the shadows.

A game like this is a masterpiece; you must experience it firsthand. System Shock™ 2 arguably offers the most intense storytelling in the history of computer games. It perfectly splices Sci-Fi with survival horror, FPS gameplay with character stats, upgrades, and inventory system of the role-playing genre, fast paced action with chilling terror. As you slowly and carefully explore your surroundings, the game begins to swallow you whole, and soon enough you feel completely immersed in the terrifying reality of an interstellar ghost-ship. Then, even years after your first contact with the game, just hearing the words "System Shock™ 2" will make your heart race. This is going to be a hell of a journey, for a pathetic creature of meat and bone such as yourself.

Perhaps the greatest part of all of this, is that it incorporates the mysterious 2.4 fan update from last year. This leads some to believe that either GOG or Night Dive had a hand in either making it or obtaining the rights to incorporate it into this release.

System Shock 2 features support for widescreen resolutions, full mod support including any visual enhancement mods you want, and more. The GOG.com version comes with the soundtrack, avatars, renders, artwork, wallpaper, no DRM, and more. It is available for just $9.99 (USD) from GOG.com and it is supposedly coming at some point to Steam.

If you're someone like me who hasn't ever played this game, now is as good a time as any.

One of the best games ever made. This is like the collectors edition of the game because of the extra goodies that come with the gog version. I just hope the sources for the engine are officially released soon.

Comment

The game didn't aged well, hard to be immersed like the first time.

Comment

You're the first and possibly only person to say that, Infernalis.

Comment

Is this ironic? I just wish they would make a remake because the atmosphere is such a huge part of the game.

Comment

What part of what I said would even be considered irony? You are the only one I've seen say that.

If improved visuals are really that important to you, go get SHTUP, SHMUP, Rebirth 0.2, etc.

Rebirth 02 This is an extended version of Cyberblutch's Rebirth Beta 01 Mod. The extensions were either released by Cyberblutch himself (like the monkeys) or taken from a fanmission that he had contributed a model to (like the rumbler) or are modifications...

Tags: °texture °object °fixup SHTUP-ND Shock Texture Upgrade Project – NewDark Requires SS2 NewDark is a mod for System Shock 2 that increases the resolution of most object textures, improves some object models, and corrects graphical glitches such as typos, continuity errors, texture alignment

Tags: °sound °SS2 This mod enhances the sound quality of the music in SS2. ( As discussed on TTLG .)April 23rd 2007 MysteryDev provided a high quality version of the System Shock 2 soundtrack in a thread on the TTLG forums . I made a small mod so you can enjoy the high quality music in the game.

Tags: °weapon °SS2 >>System Shock 2 Tacticool Weapon Replacements<< Last Updated and discussed here on TTLG Created by Mercurius **NEW** Grenade Launcher ReplacementAssault Rifle Replacement------------Description:These are replacement weapon models for System Shock 2. So far these a

Comment

It's the way you said it, it felt strange and since we're on the net I wasn't really sure.

As for the improved visuals it won't do, it's not just the textures it's the whole game that feel old. Maybe it's because of nostalgia but SS2 is one of the few old game I can't really enjoy anymore it seems.

Comment

Never played it. Is it worth getting? I didnt get my own gaming computer until MOH: Spearhead came out so I missed this one.

Comment

Working...
                X