Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battlefield 1942 is Free as Thanks for Ten Years of Battlefield and Two Million BF3 Premium Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 1942 is Free as Thanks for Ten Years of Battlefield and Two Million BF3 Premium Members

Congratulations, everyone! You did it! Without you, the Battlefield series wouldn't have been around for as long as it has, and we wouldn't be offered up a free copy of Battlefield 1942 today as a result! Go on, give yourselves a pat on the back.

Yes, as a thanks for ten years of Battlefield and two million subscribers on Battlefield 3 Premium, DICE and EA are offering up a free PC download of Battlefield 1942.
    “When we launched Battlefield 1942 ten years ago, we had lofty ambitions to create a first-person shooter that would push the boundaries of innovation, creativity and design. We evolved the FPS gameplay formula by introducing the world to all-out warfare via land, air and sea,” said Karl Magnus Troedsson, Vice President and General Manager of DICE. “Since the beginning, the reception to the Battlefield series has been incredible thanks to our amazing fans. Every day, we strive to provide our community with great games and new ways to play as evident with Battlefield 3 Premium. We wanted to thank our fans who have supported us throughout the years by restoring Battlefield 1942 for a digital re-release and give everyone a chance to play the game that started it all.”

Since its release last October, there have been some crazy milestones hit in Battlefield 3.
    • 95 billion total heals
    • 4 billion total revives
    • 3 billion vehicles destroyed
    • 2 trillion bullets fired

Battlefield 3 has apparently been the fastest selling title in EA's history, with over 17 million units sold since its release. To add to that, Battlefield 3: Aftermath is slated for release starting on November 27 for PS3 Premium subscribers, December 4 for PC and Xbox 360 Premium members, December 11 for non-Premium PS3 gamers, and December 18 for everyone else.

But hey, enough about that. You came here for a free copy of Battlefield 1942. Well, go get your free copy of Battlefield 1942 then! Be sure to note that the "free download expires on March 1, 2013." So, you may want to act fast.

What I am sorta iffy about is that it is in the DEMO section, I hope it doesn't go away when I reinstall Origin.

EDIT: Ok, opened Origin on another PC and it is in my Library. AWESOME!

Comment

Awesome! I was going to install this earlier this year (i still have my cd), but after looking into it found people saying the game was unplayable because PB didn't support it anymore and the game would not run without PB. I guess EA fixed it?
      "Crunch's First Officer"
      twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Seems like it. It autoloaded after it was done downloading (WTF?) and I looked at the servers. Good number of servers already, which is a good sign.

Comment

Go Go Desert Combat!

Comment

This is a different version from the disc version (and as such you can't play with people with the disc version). It's possible it works completely differently and has PB or whatever.
            Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

awesomesauce, i still play the game lmao! this is where it started

Comment

Played 2-3 rounds for nostalgia's sake, then deinstalled. The game really didn't aged well.

Comment

For those of you who use Qtracker to get your server listings for this game, I created a Filter to list the new "Origin" 1942 servers:

"Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Yeah, people with the Free version can't play on the same servers as the cd server

Comment

Why don't they just, oh I don't know, get the free version then?

Comment

Because of mods maybe but I'm not really sure.

Comment

There is a post on the Battlelog forums showing how to get mods working with it.

I had just had a look in qtracker and found these servers running the origin version:
                          • 426 servers world wide
                          • 12 Desert Combat mod
                          • 4 Forgotten Hope mod
                          • 1 DC Galactic Conquest mod
                          • 77 total servers with people playing on them.
                          "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Damn, lately I've been having so much fun with it. More than with BF3

Just too bad there is no widescreen

Comment

Originally posted by jimykx
                              Damn, lately I've been having so much fun with it. More than with BF3

Just too bad there is no widescreen
                              here you go Jimy

widescreengaming.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, widescreengaming.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I still play the game lol from the CD! ahahaah love it

Comment

Working...
                              X