Process Behind Creating the Armored Kill Environments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process Behind Creating the Armored Kill Environments

The latest Inside DICE blog on the Battlefield blog has Senior Environment Artist, Andrew Hamilton, detailing the goals and the steps taken to create the environments in Armored Kill.

Travelling up the side of Alborz Mountain the fog and snow in the air gets thicker and starts to feel colder. Continuing above the clouds the sky parts and shines brighter. Birds are scattered throughout the levels and in trees, only to be spooked by explosions or approaching enemies, flying off out of harm’s way. Much greater depth and perception of distance shines through in the levels through use of fog and actual clouds in the sky you can fly through, adding a whole new dimension to traversing the environments.

To accompany the more highly detailed environments, audio and effects also came into great play. When there isn’t a barrage of explosions and gunfire you can hear the trees creek in the wind, ice grinding under the frozen surface, and flags gently flapping in the wind. Likewise, explosion effects fill with dirt from underneath a thin layer of snow, leaves on the ground kick up from the forest floor, and hollow dead trees shatter into splinters when you crash through them with a quad bike. The combination of all these elements work together to create a vibrant, living environment.

There is plenty more to see and read over at the Battlefield blog. It's incredibly interesting to see how they drew inspiration from actual acts of nature and incorporated them into the maps. It's also worth noting that the distant mountains are actually there now instead of just being an image slapped into the scene.

(via Battlefield blog)

Re: Process Behind Creating the Armored Kill Environments

I'd love to be able to take a look at that screenshot of the editor

Comment

Oh look a map editor...I bet modders can learn to master it just as easy as we mastered other map editors...but according to dice were to stupid to use there tools...

Comment

Re: Process Behind Creating the Armored Kill Environments

Originally posted by zuiquan1
        Oh look a map editor...I bet modders can learn to master it just as easy as we mastered other map editors...but according to dice were to stupid to use there tools...
        I think the actual reason was that it was too complicated to make distributable tools, but of course the gaming media made it out to be them calling us stupid. Something like that looks like something that would cost in the thousands, but them being under a big publisher they probably short sightedly didn't see any reason to let Dice do it.

Comment

I want this EDITOR sooooooooo Bad!!

Comment

Working...
          X