Battlefield Dev Says the Modern Warfare Setting is Getting 'Stale'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield Dev Says the Modern Warfare Setting is Getting 'Stale'

In an interview with Edge Online, DICE's Karl Magnus Troedsson voiced his opinion about the direction of where first-person shooters are headed and said that the modern war setting is starting to get stale.

"I think we're going to start seeing people moving away from the modern setting, because every now and again settings or themes start to get stale and then everyone jumps over," he continues. "Y'know, at some point dinosaurs are the hottest thing and everyone is making games with dinosaurs, but there are trends. It used to be WWII, and recently it's been the modern era and people are now moving towards near future.

"But it's a bit cheap to just say, 'Okay, we're going to switch and go back in time or into the future and that will be innovation'. It will definitely drive the franchise forward for whatever game, but it's not true innovation, it's more a thematic change that has a perceived value to the gamers out there. But as a developer you can only make so many games in one particular era, and then you personally start to get a bit bored with it."

What do you think? Does this seem to maybe hint that Battlefield 2143 might actually become a reality? Let us know!

(via)

Re: Battlefield Dev Says the Modern Warfare Setting is Getting 'Stale'

Might be interesting. What did happen to the US in 2142? I know it makes it sound cliched... but hearing about the divided states or something would be interesting... maybe even a 4 way war... Though from BF3 they probably wouldn't put 4 factions in.

Comment

I don't think it matters what he thinks. If EA sees more money in the modern warfare setting than a future setting (and there is arguably more money there at the moment), then the next game will probably be modern warfare. I will be hoping for 2143 though, and I think DICE are definitely planning it. I think BC3 will be the last modern game in the series before 2143.

Funny, it seems like just a couple of years ago when we were talking about how stale WWII was and how modern settings were revolutionary. What are we going to do when future gets stale?
      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
        Might be interesting. What did happen to the US in 2142? I know it makes it sound cliched... but hearing about the divided states or something would be interesting... maybe even a 4 way war... Though from BF3 they probably wouldn't put 4 factions in.
        No offence to the yankees, but playing as the US is also getting stale.
        Their absense from 2142 was a breath of fresh air.

The MW setting has been getting stale for years. EA and Activision are both infamous for milking a concept until the mere mention of the name causes nausea.

Comment

BATTLEFIELD 2143!

Comment

For everything that is great and holy, I hope we will see BF2143 or something similar.

BF2142 was so memorable. Honestly, it is the only game I would rate 10/10 - so perfect and everything just worked.

I agree as well, playing another scenario other than 'US v. Russia/Chine/Iran/Iraq' would be nice.

Comment

I have to agree, i absolutely loved BF2142 and its easily one of my favourite FPS experiences of all time. I would kill to have a 2143 Battlefield game!

Comment

Yes, Battlefield 2143 please! I just hope that other fans don't put on their nostalgia goggles and expect 2143 to be the same as 2142, as 3 has been compared to 2. As long as Titan mode is present, I will be a happy man. That mode gave such a perfect blend of classic BF conquest with intense CQB later on, much more effectively than clumping all the control points close to each other in an otherwise large map.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtrooper
                  Yes, Battlefield 2143 please! I just hope that other fans don't put on their nostalgia goggles and expect 2143 to be the same as 2142, as 3 has been compared to 2. As long as Titan mode is present, I will be a happy man. That mode gave such a perfect blend of classic BF conquest with intense CQB later on, much more effectively than clumping all the control points close to each other in an otherwise large map.
                  Certainly, though it will be hard to not make direct comparisons; however, I am sure most (if not all) previous issues will be addressed (there weren't many anyway)

Titan mode made BF2142 the game it was. It was new, different and allowed a combination of the close-quarter combat with the scale of a large map.

Comment

BF2143? Titans and destruction? YES PLEASE, TAKE MY MONEY

I just hope they now make a really fun titan crash or titan explosion at the end of the titan round, and not just dull titan explosions.... come on, they even force you to see the final explosion in a static final cam.
                    I want the titan to start exploding and falling at the same time you are exiting it! There should be debree and electricity and explosions everywhere! Then, when you reach the ground, you should be still be able to control your character and watch the titan slowly fall and explode in the air (no static cam). That would be way more epic!

Originally posted by Anarchy1

Funny, it seems like just a couple of years ago when we were talking about how stale WWII was and how modern settings were revolutionary. What are we going to do when future gets stale?
                    Go back into the past?

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki

The MW setting has been getting stale for years. EA and Activision are both infamous for milking a concept until the mere mention of the name causes nausea.
                      well how about the United Kiwgaroo empire of Australasia?

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki

No offense taken. To be honest we get tired of being protrayed in every game when its proven that many other countries have helped us in every war. Yes, the odds were against us many times and yes we fought hard and brave and never gave up, but we were not always alone.

Of course, when it comes to modern warfare, we are in a lot of places and we do have a lot of cool weapons of destruction.
                        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Future or not I hope they'll go back to their roots and not make a BF3 : 2143 edition. If I want a a sci-fi game Planetside 2 looks way more ambitious than what BF2143 can possibly bring unless they really try to innovate.

And I also hope that I'll see a WW1 game before I'm old and senile.

Comment

Originally posted by jimykx
                            Go back into the past?
                            The past is too stale
                            Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Lot of interesting things to do from the past, it's far from being stale, it's just not for the pure PVP FPS genre. All the medieval PVP FPS even with solid melee mechanics aren't interesting. I think FPS will always be WW2 to future/sci-fi with Vietnam, Cold War, modern in between with some weird things here and there.

Comment

Working...
                              X