Activision Has Some Rather Strict Contract Terms with Bungie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision Has Some Rather Strict Contract Terms with Bungie

The terms of the contract between Bungie and Activision have been revealed to the public this past week. While you may already have a hatred for Activision for one reason or another, it may be interesting to note some of the rather unique stipulations included in their contract with the newly "freed" Bungie.

The highlights of the contract

• Bungie's new title is codenamed Destiny
    • Comet is the "stand-alone expansion" already named for Destiny
    • Bungie is under an obligation of eight titles, at a rate of one per year
    • The sequels to Destiny (Xbox 360 and possibly Xbox 720) are tentatively planned for PS4, PC, and Xbox 720
    • Bonuses of $2.5M, $25M, and $25M are dependent on if Destiny achieves a Metacritic score of 90 or above, if Activision makes $720M in operating income in a year, and if Activision makes $1B in operating income in a year (respectively)
    • 2022 is the year in which Bungie can move to another publisher to publish "Destiny" titles with a publisher other than Activision. Activision still retains the first-negotiating rights.
    • Marathon will be free to be published once $375M is hit through operating income via Destiny.
    • $750M is the mark at which 25% of Bungie is free to work on non-Activision games
      ----------
    • Key staff had to sign a long-term contract with Activision. Violation of said contract results on loss of equity if they leave before Destiny 2 launches in Fall of 2015.
    • If 33% or more of Bungie leave in any 12-month period, Activision assumes control of the Destiny and Comet IP's and the game engine.
    • Staff cannot quit and join competing development firms.
    • Activision can terminate the contract given the following conditions:
      1. If Destiny does not sell 5M units after six months
      2. After Comet 2 (expansion) releases in 2016 for any reason.
      3. If Halo Reach did not hit 80% on Metacritic
      4. If Halo Reach failed to hit 6 million sales in six months
      ----------
    • Valve, Epic, and Gearbox are banned from developing any Destiny or Comet related adaptations
    • Bungie must provide a list of Easter Eggs included in the game to Activision prior to release
    • Each Bungie employee receives, at most, two Activision published titles per year for free.
    • Bungie will be given 1,000 copies of Destiny to distribute as they see fit upon release (play, share, review, promote, gift, etc.)
    • Destiny and Comet should strive to be rated Teen by the ESRB

There you have it. Those are the major highlights of the contract stipulations between Bungie and Activision. Now, I thought Bungie left Microsoft because they wanted to be free to do their own thing? Curious, isn't it?

(via)

Bungie is under an obligation of eight titles, at a rate of one per year...God i hate this company....

Comment

Re: Activision Has Some Rather Strict Contract Terms with Bungie

Originally posted by =[BG*D]=ApHeX
      Bungie is under an obligation of eight titles, at a rate of one per year...God i hate this company....
      That and they're relaying on a Metacritic score as part of the agreement which is the biggest piece of shit on the Internet.

Comment

God i hate this company, i thought at some point EA was evil but i take it all back now i guess the devil has shown its true reds in 'activsuction' of gamer dollars. Since BF3 EA has won me back tbqh.

Comment

Re: Activision Has Some Rather Strict Contract Terms with Bungie

So releasing a game with a downer ending is the worst thing in the world but forcing a company by contract to release a game every year is A-Okay? Fucking hell the internet sucks right now.

Comment

Its kinda sickening to see a publisher force a them to make a eight titles at one per a year imo. I mean its like borderlined slave driving tbh.

Comment

Haha good luck with that Bungie...
              Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Why did Bungie even agree to this? Did any Halo game take less than a year to make? Oh well, eight crappy Bungie games incoming...

Comment

I loved Bungie (still do) because they took their time with the Halo games with 3 year dev cycles. Maybe because of Call of Duty that is not feasible today, but the amount of polish time they had made some incredible games.

Comment

I wonder what the release line up will be.. Call of Duty releasing End of the Year & Bungie's titles getting released 6months after

Comment

Working...
                    X