Star Wars: The Old Republic Studio Hit with Layoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: The Old Republic Studio Hit with Layoffs

BioWare Austin, the studio behind Star Wars: The Old Republic were hit with a heavy dose of layoffs today in an effort to "restructure" the Texas based studio. EA issued a statement on these restructuring efforts going on at BioWare Austin.

"BioWare has restructured its studio in Austin today. Of the employees impacted, some will be able to join other projects within EA, others will leave the company. These are very difficult decisions, but it allows us to focus our staff to maintain and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic."

BioWare's Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk crafted an open letter to the fans ensuring them that work will continue on SWTOR despite these layoffs.

Looking back at launch, we all came together and did something historic. We executed one of the largest, most successful and stable launches of any MMO yet in industry history. That is not an easy feat for any development team or company and we are humbled and honored by our fan community’s strong support both at launch and beyond.

Looking forward, the studio remains vibrant and passionate about our many upcoming initiatives for Star Wars: The Old Republic. We still have a very substantial development team working on supporting and growing the game, and we feel we are in a strong position, with your continued involvement and feedback, to continue to build Star Wars: The Old Republic as one of the most compelling and successful online experiences in the world today. There are many strong initiatives planned for cool new content and new features that we’re excited to tell you about in the upcoming weeks and months.

Continued development on The Old Republic will now be a combined effort between what remains of BioWare Austin and other EA studios. Early reports on the number of layoffs have already climbed into the 200+ range.

/waits for free to play.

Comment

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Studio Hit with Layoffs

I think most people are waiting for that same thing (myself included). It was fun for when I played but it grew tiresome real quick.

Comment

As a long time SWG player i lol'd hard when i read this.
        "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt." -John Winger (Bill Murray) Stripes

Comment

Originally posted by DunkinSPE
          As a long time SWG player i lol'd hard when i read this.
          Awww, swg . I still consider it one of the best mmorpgs in history. I'd rather pay monthly to play that than to play Wow.

Comment

I've actually been playing a lot of Mass Effect recently and had played a bit of the first KOTOR last year. While i do like a lot of the things Bioware does in their game designs. The two things that always become apparent to me when i play their games are that to really progress properly i have to go through a crap-load of dialogue that over time gets repetitive and that in game inventory screens just left a whole lot to be desired.

Overall i think we are just waiting on the next mmorpg advancement because i think a lot of what is currently out is a rehash of other games with a few twists.

I do feel for those that just got canned though. Tough break but the mmorpg market is still about making profit.

Wonder if the Stormtrooper Demotivational picture is circulating round the SWTOR forums.
            "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt." -John Winger (Bill Murray) Stripes

Comment

Working...
            X