Frostbite Games Going 64-bit Exclusive in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frostbite Games Going 64-bit Exclusive in 2013

DICE revealed that a number of upcoming Frostbite powered PC titles coming in 2013 will require a 64-bit operating system. This may or may not include DICE's own titles which presumably include Battlefield 4, Battlefield: Bad Company 3, or Mirror's Edge 2.

Here is what rendering architect at DICE, Johan Andersson had to say via Twitter.

We'll have Frostbite-powered games in 2013 that will _require_ a 64-bit OS. If you are on 32-bit, great opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8

He later clarified that Windows 8 is not a requirement and that any 64-bit operating system will do. Right now, less than half of the connected world makes use of a 64-bit operating system, even if they have a 64-bit CPU. Upgrades to operating systems are costly, even going just from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows, which is a huge factor that has held many consumers from making the jump.

Re: Frostbite Games Going 64-bit Exclusive in 2013

Any 64bit OS that runs DX10 or above? I cant see them going back to DX9, but maybe that will be an option.
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
      Any 64bit OS that runs DX10 or above? I cant see them going back to DX9, but maybe that will be an option.
      I would think so - meaning xp 64 bit would be out - but that's such a tiny segment already.

Comment

I do have a 64 bit but that most likely means I wont be able to run it xD

Comment

XP 32bit is holding back Developers who want to branch out into DX11 Games so they can make really nice eye candy. If Microsoft would hurry up and drop Support for it and force people to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit the world will be a better place.

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto
            XP 32bit is holding back Developers who want to branch out into DX11 Games so they can make really nice eye candy. If Microsoft would hurry up and drop Support for it and force people to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit the world will be a better place.
            Thats true and I agree, however, history has shown that when Microsoft does that, they get sued. Not so much as DX support, but trying to force upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto
              XP is still supported until 2014 at which point Microsoft will kill support for it meaning no more patches/security updates/etc. It would be nice to force everyone to upgrade but people don't like change from a mental stand point. Furthermore Win Vista/7/8 require a min of 1GB to run, recommend 2GB and/or more depending on 32/64 bit system you choose. Now for a gamer normally this isn't a problem, but I do see the market slowly pushing more towards 7/8, I personally can't stand 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Linux
                XP is still supported until 2014 at which point Microsoft will kill support for it meaning no more patches/security updates/etc. It would be nice to force everyone to upgrade but people don't like change from a mental stand point. Furthermore Win Vista/7/8 require a min of 1GB to run, recommend 2GB and/or more depending on 32/64 bit system you choose. Now for a gamer normally this isn't a problem, but I do see the market slowly pushing more towards 7/8, I personally can't stand 8.
                Every business PC comes standard with 2GB of RAM minimum and has for the last two years. If you order anything with 4GB, you get 64bit by default.

I agree that people dont like change. That is 100% true, but I also think its the home user slowing down the progress, not minimum requirements of an OS.

Now that I said that, businesses hated Vista and would not go to it. Had nothing to do with hardware, but stability

Comment

You really shouldn't be gaming on a 32 bit PC in the first place IMO
                  Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Most home users in the greater houston area are on Windows 7. I can only imagine them deciding to make this switch because so many people have 64bit already. The real problem is that you see more vista users than xp users.

Comment

Working...
                    X