iPad 3 Announced with LTE, Retina Display, A5X CPU, and Quad-Core GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad 3 Announced with LTE, Retina Display, A5X CPU, and Quad-Core GPU

As expected, Apple came out today and announced the iPad 3, complete with a 2048x1536 Retina Display and other such hardware improvements. According to The Verge, it has a pixel density of 264ppi, a new A5X processor and a quad-core graphics processor.

The quad-core GPU is allegedly four times as fast as the Tegra 3. A new "iSight" camera is included, the same as the camera in the iPhone 4S, and allows for auto-exposure, auto-focus, and 5MP backside illuminated sensor with the potential for 1080p video. The front-facing camera is the standard VGA and can be used for Apple's FaceTime. Voice dictation is also a new feature for the iPad 3 and is said to work for multiple languages.

As far as communications go, the iPad 3 has 4G LTE and 42Mbps HSPA+ mobile options. There will be models available for AT&T, Verizon, Rogers, Telus, and Bell. The AT&T LTE model will be separate but will still support 3G connectivity. It also includes hotspot capabilities, if your carrier allows for it.

Battery life is about the same as the iPad 2, clocking in at about 10 hours, or 9 hours while using 4G. It's slightly thicker and heavier than the iPad 2, measuring 9.4mm thick and 1.4 pounds.

The basic model starts at $499 (USD) and includes 16GB and Wi-Fi capabilities. At $629, you can get a 16GB 4G enabled model. A 32GB model will run you $729 and a 64GB model will go for $829. The device will hit stores on March 16th, with pre-orders beginning today in North America, parts of Europe, and Japan.

If you want to see how the iPad 3 stacks up against the competition, The Verge has a page for that as well. It should also be noted that the iPad 2 will see a price reduction of $399 for the 16GB Wi-Fi model and just $529 for the 3G enabled model. The other models also saw similar price reductions.

I guess I should mention that you will be able to pre-order through the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/

Also, I feel like I'm one of the few people in the world who isn't all over Apple's nuts about this and does not care about the iPad 3. The iPad's have never interested me. Over priced devices that tend to lack features other tablets have had for a while. But of course, because it's Apple, everyone flips their lid over it...

Comment

I already lol'ed at all my friends who pre-ordered and just gave their money to Apple for outdated technology yet again for the 3rd time xD.

Comment

I'm the same. But Apple is quite smart for brandishing their products commercially, to the point where anyone who doesn't have an Apple product, must jump on the bandwagon, or else they're considered uncool amongst the masses.

Asus Transformer Prime or Samsung Galaxy Note puts the iPad 3/HD/The New to absolute shame, in both performance and price.

Comment

Re: iPad 3 Announced with LTE, Retina Display, A5X CPU, and Quad-Core GPU

Apple outdated? Even if Android Specs sound better on paper, the system runs like it's 20 years old.
          All Androids still have scrolling lag, you won't see such things on Apple Hardware - or broken GPS / whatever where community mods have to fix it.

The worst is, Samsung is on top in LCD/TV business and Apple has to teach them how to make tablets / smartphones.
          Look at monitors, they still run with crap pixel density because of companies like Samsung. If it wasn't Apple you would see no resolution increase on Tablets for 10 years.
          Instead of creating new things, Samsung throws 234 devices on the market and drops support afer 3 months.
          All they do, is copy what Apple does.

And Apple isn't seen as cool, Android is what kids have nowdays. And that's why they flame Apple everywhere, even if it's better hardware.
          At least I know, my IPAD2 won't be outdated for the next 2 years and worth 300$ if I sell it.
          Android devices are worth nothing after 1 year. You will see price cuts for about 50-75% - so even if Apple is expensive, after you sell it you profit compared to Android.

Apple improved GPU etc. on IPAD3 but also resolution, so the FPS will be propably the same on IPAD2 just in lower resolution (still ok for me).
          They actually know what they are doing. Samsung etc. just spams devices mindlessly and has no "big plan".

Comment

Working...
          X