Unreal Engine 4 in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4 in 2012

Speaking at DICE 2012, Epic's Mark Rein sort-of announced that Unreal Engine 4 will be revealed in 2012.

"People are going to be shocked later this year when they see Unreal Engine 4 and how much more profound an effect it will have."

The last word of any development on the Unreal Engine came from GDC last year. It was at this event that Epic showcased the "Samaritan" concept video using Unreal Engine 3.

Re: Unreal Engine 4 in 2012

omfg,thought i was watching a movie.

Comment

Guess what, consoles can't use even a quarter of what was shown there

Comment

What about the upcoming ones?
        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
          FU communist console boxes, just when PC was starting to gain some life!... cant win .

Free PC and your minds lol

Comment

So wait that video was Unreal Engine 3? And they are revealing the even more powerful Unreal Engine 4 this year!?

Comment

I ask that because in todays gaming publishers want to make games with the least resources necessary. I doubt they would find it advantagous to make a game using two different engines, one for consoles and one for PC. To top that off, newer engine with things to work out and figure out for the smallest group of your customers when they can be just as happy on the old engine. Therefor killing Unreal 4 for a few more years until the next console comes out.They could also just water it down a lot, which I know makes PC players very happy.

Comment

I ask that because in todays gaming, publishers want to make games with the least resources necessary. I doubt they would find it advantagous to make a game using two different engines, one for consoles and one for PC. To top that off, newer engine with things to work out and figure out for the smallest group of your customers when they can be just as happy on the old engine. Therefor killing Unreal 4 for a few more years until the next console comes out.They could also just water it down a lot, which I know makes PC players very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch

Taking in account that that was done using the Unreal engine 3, and what you see in games isn't even a quarter of that, i'm pretty sure that once the Unreal engine 4 come out the same will happen with the newer consoles

Comment

Right, you dont see that. Why do you think that might be?

Comment

If you have looked at game engineer technology over the years engines are now more advance to allow both Console and PC to be dev. and evolved together on the same platform. For good example is the CryTek 3 engine which can render live action quality through out 360/PS3/PC and all look the same without losing quality. Unreal Engine 3 has been able to do that but when it is put on the PC it is higher quality and generally better than when it is on a console, its the same engine just using different parts and tweaks to it. I'm not a huge fan of the Unreal engine but so many games use it because it is almost a market standard because of the pricing/ability to use it allows companies to push out games that can be designed for console and ported to PC easily and well in the old days visa versa. But now a days it is cheaper to design a game for a console and port it over the PC because the PC will automatically be able to handle it and they don't have to invest more time into upgrading the graphics unless they're a super cool company that cares about PC gaming. I have a feeling that the Unreal 4 engine is going to bring in a new market of engineers that will be built for both current gen of consoles, next-gen and higher end PCs without costing us PC gamers the loss of quality that we highly demand from our games. Again I could be wrong, but I know anything that was designed with the CryTek engines even if it was a console to PC port looked 10 times better on the PC even from the port.

Comment

Working...
                      X