Xbox 720 Will Use Two Year Old GPU and Arrive in Late 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 720 Will Use Two Year Old GPU and Arrive in Late 2013

IGN has the latest rumor going around concerning the upcoming successor to the Xbox 360. First off they heard from their sources that the next-generation Xbox will begin shipping to retailers in late October or early November of 2013.

Their sources also claim that it will have roughly six times the processing power of the Xbox 360.

The GPU, however, seems like it's already a weak spot. Mass production of the system's GPU is apparently slated to begin in late 2012 and will be based off of the 6000 series of video cards from AMD and not the 7000 series as originally thought.

To be more specific, it will be close to the Radeon HD 6670, a budget card capable of DirectX 11 visuals, multiple display outputs, 3D support, and 1080p output. The card currently retails for just $80. The card was also introduced last year meaning that the technology is already outdated and if it's outdated now, think about how outdated it will be at the end of 2013.

This is a joke, right? This has to be a joke. Somebody please tell me that this is just a joke here! I can only imagine how great and how far along PC games would look if developers didn't have to keep the visuals in check thanks to the limitations of console specs.

Nice

Comment

Re: Xbox 720 Will Use Two Year Old GPU and Arrive in Late 2013

That's horrible, yet again consoles will severely hold back PCs. I'm hoping the PS4 goes with a better GPU.
      PSN: Xclusiveitalian
      Steam: Stryker
      Origin: Xclusiveitalian
      Twitch: Stryker218

Comment

wow.. i really hope that is a joke...

Comment

I don't think MS would be that stupid ... please don't.I was expecting something similar to the 400series

Comment

Wow... If this is true... then my prediction of my current gaming rig (which only has a 6870, might I add) will still have more power than the next console has come true...

Comment

Even if its true, remember that in the time since Xbox 360 the average PC user will have doubled the amount of pixels on their screen, while console users are still stuck with 1080P regardless of the size of their TV.So the extra performance will not be eaten up by larger screens like it happens on the PC

Comment

This shouldn't really come to anyone as a surprise regarding the differences between console and PC. PC generally (if not always) will be superior to console hardware wise, the big difference between the various systems is accessibility.

Comment

I like that you guys think the hardware makes the games and not the creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by cikame
                    I like that you guys think the hardware makes the games and not the creative people.
                    Counterpoint: What creative people?

Comment

creative people do create games, i just don't want to see them limited on the power of beauty and creativity based on hardware, sure with only 1080p settings, that card wouldn't be bad, you would just think that they would use newer hardware for a new console.

Comment

Nice Ruff, I was going to say something similiar. Why bound their hands when there are two options available? There has to be a time to say, "OK, this is it on the hardware." but when a lower and higher option are available and its not going to change much of anything between the choice, why take the lower choice?
                        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I do wonder, why is it when they talk about GPU power most people think there is an obsession with how pretty something can be rendered? What about how MUCH can be rendered? And Im not talking in a setpiece kind of way.

Comment

Working...
                          X