No announcement yet.

Console-Sized Alienware Attempts to Bring Affordable Gaming PCs to the Masses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console-Sized Alienware Attempts to Bring Affordable Gaming PCs to the Masses

This seems quite interesting here. Dell is introducing a new line of Alienware PCs that seem to target the console crowd in both price and design.

The Alienware X51 is actually about the same size as the original Xbox 360, runs about $699 for the i3-2120 model, and makes attempts to be a full featured gaming rig for those not wishing to build their own machine from scratch.

The X51 delivers incredible power for its streamlined size, featuring Intel’s powerful 2nd generation Core I processors, NVIDIA GeForce GT or GTX class graphics cards with GDDR5 memory for intense gaming performance, Wireless-N technology for easy internet access, HDMI 1.4 for connecting to 3D TVs and watching 3D Blu-ray movies, along with SuperSpeed USB 3.0 for blistering fast data transfer to other devices.

In true Alienware fashion, no detail is overlooked. The Alienware X51’s chassis is designed with flexibility and style in mind. The desktop’s sleek matte black finish with dark chrome accents and three customizable lighting zones create a distinguished appearance and make a statement wherever it is used. Its dual-orientation chassis allows gamers to set-up the unit in either horizontal or vertical positions to customize the X51’s footprint for whatever space you may have available in your home entertainment area. It is also fully upgradeable, allowing X51 owners to quickly perform their own hard-drive, graphics, and memory upgrades quickly and easily, giving customers the added piece of mind that their X51 has added longevity.

It's really not a bad idea, until you again realize you can still build your own machine with similar specs for less. But again, if you aren't very well versed in the world of PC building, this might be your best solution. There are also apparently going to be flavors that sport i5-2320 and i7-2600 cores priced at $899 and above.

Alienware X51 Product Specifications:
    - Intel Core i3 Dual Core (standard) and Intel Core i5 and i7 Quad Core Processor Options
    - Intel H61 Express Chipset Architecture
    - Mini-ITX Motherboard
    - Powerful NVIDIA Graphics Card Options
    -- 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 (Standard)
    -- 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555
    - Configure with up to 8GB of DDR3 Memory (4GB Standard); 2x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Slots
    - Fast 7,200RPM 1TB Hard Drive
    - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    - Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (Standard) or optional Blu-ray Disc Reader
    - Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software
    - Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet NIC and Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless LAN (standard)
    - USB 2.0 (6x); USB 3.0 (2x); Microphone In; Headphone/Speaker Out; HDMI 1.4 Output; RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet; Front, Rear and Center Speaker Ports; SPDIF Digital Output (TOSLINK); SPDIF Digital Output (Coax)
    - Alienware 240 Watt Power Supply (Standard) or optional 330 Watt Power Supply
    - Dual-orientation tower system dimensions: h: 13.5” (343mm) x w: 3.74” (95mm) x d: 12.52” (318mm)
    - Starting Weight: 12.1 lbs. (5.49 Kg.)

Re: Console-Sized Alienware Attempts to Bring Affordable Gaming PCs to the Masses

Thats quite smart. I always wondered about doing something like that, as in pre-built BUDGET gaming PC's.

Do wish they would come with ATI cards though. Still something about nvidia that I don't trust...

Comment

Re: Console-Sized Alienware Attempts to Bring Affordable Gaming PCs to the Masses

So why not just buy a console?????
      Even when promissed there are no PC exclusive games. So one could just as well buy a console.

I do not really see how this fits in anywhere. It is some kind of hybrid between a PC with all its diversity and an inflexible console.

Comment

looks nice, reminds me of an hp slimline pc.

Comment

The only thing new about this idea is the case. And honestly as compact as that looks, I'd worry about overheating and airflow. Not to mention weight, if you wanted to carry it around anywhere. It'd probably be anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times heavier than an xbox 360.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator8
            Even when promissed there are no PC exclusive games. So one could just as well buy a console.
            Uh... What about all those smaller games? Not every game is going to be big buxx like Battlefield, Call of Dosh (Aren't I very british today) and Skyrim. PC exclusives are generally Indie titles or smaller Dev titles.

I do not really see how this fits in anywhere. It is some kind of hybrid between a PC with all its diversity and an inflexible console.
            Well from the sounds of things its a relatively (this is Alienware we are talking) cheap Gaming PC with more emphasis on cracking the Dumb-as nails (not saying all console gamers are dumb. There are just a lot of 'em that the average is all over the place...) market, as well as providing a PC powerful enough to take advantage of TV's.

its pretty much a Pricy-er, relatively Customisable (comes in different flavours) but better graphically capable console. Like as I said, a Budget Gaming PC that you don't need to research a fuckton for. And if it can play BF3 on somewhat high, then that should be good enough for quite a few. My brother who played the 360 version of BF3 said that it doesn't compare to the PC version.

Comment

I dont understand how this isnt just a more powerful version of a console?

Comment

^ this.

Comment

It's a pc, can't you still remove it's parts? Is everything locked?
                  I don't understand how isn't it cheaper to build a similar case by yourself

Comment

It is cheaper, but most people dont know how to do that.
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                      I dont understand how this isnt just a more powerful version of a console?
                      And just what do you think consoles are to begin with if not weaker versions of PCs? Not to mention that consoles cannot run any operating system of choice (at least not without a huge hassle most cases), work/productivity apps in addition to games, larger array of peripheral support, upgradeable, etc..

Comment

It's a pc and not comparable to console. Games for consoles do not play the same way their brothers do on PC. On consoles you typical use a controller and don't have the control you would have with a mouse. Almost all shooter games give you a little help in the aiming. You don't have to be aiming directly at what you want to shoot and you will still hit the target. Then look at games like BF3, they are designed to use the power you get out of PCs and look better and have added percs.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
                          And just what do you think consoles are to begin with if not weaker versions of PCs? Not to mention that consoles cannot run any operating system of choice (at least not without a huge hassle most cases), work/productivity apps in addition to games, larger array of peripheral support, upgradeable, etc..
                          I obviously understand that a console is basically a locked down PC. What im getting at, is what will make this Alienware piece of kit better than the next generation of consoles which will still probably just as powerful and cheaper?

Comment

I'm not too keen on the 240 Watt Power Supply.

Comment

I would still expect to see a pair of controllers.

And what happens next year when Nvidia brings out their new chipset of EA announces yet another Crysis of Bad Company and they discretly mention that it requires DX12 and that everybody need to spring for yet another GFX card.
                              Then it will be like for all other console owners unless it requires the same voltage/power or less cooling and if there is even room for it.

Would a true PC Gamer ever get caught with it or will it only be for entry level PC gamers and console users.

Comment

Working...
                              X