Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EA Hit with Trademark Dispute Over Battlefield 3 Helicopters; EA Responds with Lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA Hit with Trademark Dispute Over Battlefield 3 Helicopters; EA Responds with Lawsuit

Textron, the parent company of Bell Helicopter, hit EA with a trademark dispute over the company's use of three different helicopter designs in Battlefield 3 without permission. In return, EA struck with a pre-emptive lawsuit against Textron claiming that the use of the helicopters is protected under the "First Amendment and the doctrine of nominative fair use."

This early strike from EA comes after talks between the two companies came to a halt over EA's use of the AH-1Z Viper, UH-1Y, and the V-22 Osprey. EA's pre-emptive actions are uncommon for the company but may have been prompted by last year's Supreme Court ruling that video games have the same protections of free speech that books, film, and music all have.

Electronic Arts asserts that its depiction of the three aircraft "are protected by the First Amendment and the doctrine of nominative fair use." EA notes that Battlefield 3's packaging features a disclaimer stating that the appearance of real-world weapons and vehicles does not constitute any official endorsement by their maker. It adds that "the Bell-manufactured helicopters are not highlighted or given greater prominence than any of the other vehicles within the game."

"The Bell-manufactured helicopters depicted in Battlefield 3 are just a few of countless creative visual, audio, plot and programming elements that make up EA's expressive work, a first-person military combat simulation," says the suit.

The reason why vehicles such as the helicopters don't have to be licensed in the same way that cars in Need for Speed do is because the vehicles in Battlefield 3 are not necessary for gameplay purposes. EA won a similar case late last year when they won a case in which a "recognizable, if unnamed, depiction of a real college quarterback" was used without the permission of the player in question. This case won under the ruling stating that EA's depiction was within the boundaries of free expression for a video game.

EA´s expressive work!? That part botherd me.

Comment

Textron should be happy, the Viper is the heli king and the Huey has earned the love of many an engineer noob everywhere

Comment

I hate the Viper wish it's unbalanced ass was bounced from the game. Never has Dice ever put an effective AA choice given to infantry. So when pilot pussbags own the server I leave for something more balanced. Has Dice ever made both aircraft on both sides remotely equal in balance? I think I've outgrown these type of games, the fun just isn't there anymore, feels too much like work.

Comment

it's simple. if i make a painting of a combat scene and it's so awesome (because it would be) that it sold for a million dollars, Bell can't sue me because my painting contained their aircraft. Same protection for video games. the entire gameplay experience isn't from those heli's, and the game isn't centered around one class of vehicle. Why isn't Ford suing for depicting Hummers?

Comment

Re: EA Hit with Trademark Dispute Over Battlefield 3 Helicopters; EA Responds with Lawsuit

I wonder if they did it Because CoD had to put trademarks for Trijon (makers of the Acog) and the like, so Bell-Textron raised an eyebrow when BF3 made a bit of money.

Comment

Re: EA Hit with Trademark Dispute Over Battlefield 3 Helicopters; EA Responds with Lawsuit

Originally posted by troybob
              it's simple. if i make a painting of a combat scene and it's so awesome (because it would be) that it sold for a million dollars, Bell can't sue me because my painting contained their aircraft. Same protection for video games. the entire gameplay experience isn't from those heli's, and the game isn't centered around one class of vehicle. Why isn't Ford suing for depicting Hummers?
              This. The huge court case last year between California and video game merchants that determined that the law banning violent video game sales to children was unconstitutional also determined that video games fall under the protection of the first amendment. Textron would have a case if this were last year, but EA is basically going to win this easily.
              Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Working...
              X