replied
    Re: BF3 Launch Party and LAN Event in Texas Bans Women

Well this is just silly.

Leave a comment:

• K-16
    replied

Originally posted by imported_raidenandsolid
    What they should have done is set up two events, one for male and female... Even if you punish the one who does stand out and kick him out of the event, many others are doing the same thing without getting caught. Personally, the organizers have the say on who they want to include into the event public or not. They could have worded it to make women understand it was a "guys night out" kind of event...
    It's true that you don't know who else might be that disgusting (possibly while drunk as alcohol is available and included in the price) despite banning the previous offender. So I agree that the solution can be to setup two events, or to increase security as I suggested before, should the cases in past events become that extreme. However, the forum post they did pretty much mentioned the party was a gentlemen's event. In other words, they already did what you claimed was the way to prevent their mistake.

Overall, the question seems to be whether or not this is a private event that received more publicity than what was desired, or if it's a public event meant to compete against other LAN events to claim their share of the player base. The advertising makes it a bit difficult to determine. Of course we could simply fire an E-mail and ask... Or a forum post... If it's a private event, then it's as childish as the clubhouse/treehouse analogy Zips described earlier, but there's no reason to discourage them further as it's their place, their rules. If it's a public event, then there is much reason to do more than frown upon them as it is politically wrong to act in this manner when operating in this kind of a business (public event with exclusions is absolute bull as CptainCrunch said earlier).

Leave a comment:

• imported_raidenandsolid
    replied
    What they should have done is set up two events, one for male and female. Fact of the matter is is that there are jackwagons out there who will do that. Even if you punish the one who does stand out and kick him out of the event, many others are doing the same thing without getting caught. Personally, the organizers have the say on who they want to include into the event public or not. The way they worded it made it sexist, not the idea of having a male-only event. They could have worded it to make women understand it was a "guys night out" kind of event but instead failed at public relations and ruined whatever chance they had at making it look reasonable. Maybe the organizers were one of the idiots who had a 'mishap' with a female counterpart.
    But if you want to have nothing but events that are meat lover's pizzas, by all means we won't stop you. The rest of us in the modern era will happily enjoy the mixed company we've come to expect for YEARS now. At least some of us know how to function in civilized society.
    Um... [MyIS]Zips... the civilized society you speak of still holds gender only parties, they just know how to properly word there functions as to not be offensive or insinuate some kind ulterior meaning to the reason for specific gender. Just sayin

Leave a comment:

• Linux
    replied
    I can't stop laughing at this; what a way to make my day even better xD. I'm lulz if this really happens, I'm sure someone is going to be enjoying the sausage party if you catch my drift .

Leave a comment:

• Shawn Zipay
    replied

A shame though, because it is news.

Yet again, as I've been saying from the start, they're going about it all wrong and are coming off as complete tools because of it. Punish the victim and let the guilty run wild. Great idea.

Leave a comment:

• Lordsethonan
    replied

I'm just saying that in the context of the event; it's not asomething to start getting the pitchforks out.

You'd have a point if this was an state or city endorsed event, and they suddenly made it single gender only.

But it's a private socuety/club event. As far as I'm concerned, what you do in your free time with your own money is YOUR choice. According to you, if I have a lan party I HAVE to invite women? Exactly why?

Now, they are advertising before hand that this year's event will be weenie only; before any female has a chance to mistakingly pay entrance fees or register or something.

You'd have a point, if the event was open to everybody and at the last minute, on a flimsy pretense, they pulled the penis card. Then YEAH, weaksauce. Not like this. This shouldn't be news.

Leave a comment:

• Shawn Zipay
    replied

First off, your argument is still completely idiotic. I'm talking about the US Army here because this event and this site are in the US. What other parts of the world do is their own business. Nobody really "bats an eye" here either when a female says their in the armed services. Now perhaps YOU do but based on what you're saying and how you're defending this action here, I don't think anybody would really be surprised to hear it from you. Just because you don't see a problem with them punishing one group and not the other when it was the guys who acted like idiots in the first place doesn't mean there isn't a problem with their stupid asinine and ARCHAIC way of thinking.

You can't say blah blah "I'm against the double standard" but then say it's ok to have this guy's only event, banning women, when it was the GUYS who acted inappropriate in the first case to warrant this idea of a ban. You don't punish the victim and you sure as hell do not punish everyone with a similar trait of the victim because of what another party has done.

But if you want to have nothing but events that are meat lover's pizzas, by all means we won't stop you. The rest of us in the modern era will happily enjoy the mixed company we've come to expect for YEARS now. At least some of us know how to function in civilized society.

Leave a comment:

• CptainCrunch
    replied

Thats true on the lan party thing, but as men, cant we be strong enough to accept a woman playing beside us without pinching the buns?

Crunch

Leave a comment:

• Lordsethonan
    replied

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
    You might have had a point, if it weren't for the fact that the Army allows women in to the services and have allowed it since what, the late 1700's, and moreso lately in combative roles. You completely and totally negated any argument you might have had by drawing up that horrible and wrong comparison.

These guys are taking the shitty cop out response to any incident that might've taken place. Instead of having a zero tolerance for any kind of socially unacceptable behavior from the person or persons doing this stupid crap, they go this pathetic route.
    Do all armies do it? Is it only the US army? What are the reasons to allow women in combative roles and just how combative are these roles? We are not talking Israeli army here, where both genders are truly equal and you have fighter jet female pilots and no one bats an eye; but then again, they are the exception to the rule just as the WWII female Aces wich were there BECAUSE THERE WERE NOT ENOUGH MEN AROUND TO DO IT, not because of politically correctness.
    And even then, you could make an argument about how jet fighter pilot is a less risky job than grounder pounder in the frontlines.

The thin gis there is no real reason to make this a facepalm or touchy subject. Conversely, then we must push for women to invite men to their baby shower parties and toppleware sales and all that stuff.

In my not so humble opinion, it works both ways. I am against the double standard. If a woman beats her husband, jail that bish. There is no need to defend them on some stuff tough, like this one.

The management claims they have had issues in the past when dealing with both genders showing up? they feel it being male only is more conducive of a better environment for everybody involved? It's their prerrogative to ensure their attendants have the best time possible. If this is not the case; then the next event they would have to open the event for everybody who registers or something; maybe the incident will repeat itself once one of the suspected factors is out of the system. Don't judge without knowing the full picture.

I'll give you a quick example. One guy goes with her girlfriend, and the girlfriend is harassed by another member and it comes down to fistycuffs. What if it's not just fistycuffs and weapons come into play? What about not really having facilities for women? What about there not really being an attendance on the female population that warrant an slot for them? I'm just saying, that yes, maybe their story is dumb, but there can be a number of factors that we don't know without being there for previous events; they are trying to deal with it, they are constrained by PC bull and have to come up with an excuse.

Or maybe they just don't want women there that day.

This is not voting or the right to a career; it's a LAN PARTY FOR CHRIST SAKE. I think we as males are entitled to still have our little sausage parties when we damn feel like it without having to give excuses as to why. you don't have a weenie? you don't get inside, simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• Rambo
    replied
    Nice PR,ban 50% of the potentual customers(prob around 10%really)But i was suprised at the amount of girls bf2 had and franky i found it sexy a girl would play,even letting them get me down once or twice.A bunch of 12 year olds still have that high pitched squell about them lol

Leave a comment:

• Kylee!
    replied

I'm not even sure what to say about this... except that's probably the wrong way to deal with whatever their problem is.

Leave a comment:

• K-16
    replied

Actually jimykx, I believe Lordsethonan is right to assume the implication was about sexual harassment cases in past events (as opposed to verbal abuse, where I doubt women are clueless to what a gaming environment consists of). What I don't understand is why there isn't enough security to prevent such cases, as other LAN events have. This is where Zips' point comes into play, and where we need to read between the lines.

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
    Is this event a private club thing? I dont mean "guys only" but is this like a community or clan doing this and they have had to tell their female members "no" or is this a "Every guy sign up and show up." event?
    I can see where you're confused. The website does make many strong implications that it runs on a very tight-knit community (the website is blog/forum based where all members are more or less acquainted with the staff, the seating arrangement is overly specific by name, etc.). However, the registration page doesn't seem to require any special membership to sign up (meaning I could sign up if I wanted to), and the website's advertising shows intent to compete against other (public) LAN events. It may actually be leaning more towards the former (community/clan), but it doesn't seem to imply the women barred from participating are from PowersGaming. If it was to protect the female members from sexual harassment, I suppose they could do that instead of hiring additional security or having a girls-only event to balance it out (which none are indicated in their future scheduled events). Still feels politically incorrect though.

I would feel better about this event if it's not a public one with exclusions (good labelling by the way), because unlike blacklists banning offenders, this makes no sense.

Leave a comment:

• Anarchy1
    replied

Good, women would be confused with the complexity of the game. They should stick to CoD.

Leave a comment:

• jimykx
    replied

Originally posted by Lordsethonan
    I fail to see how this is "bad" for anybody.

My take on this: they had an incident involving misconduct by some male guy, provoked or not, drunk or not; by a female attendant; they are not going to openly state "some guy grabbed some gal boobies last event". Given how sue happy stuff is in the US, better safe than sorry.

Now personally, on top of that... The army is a big sausage party with phallic weapons shooting little penises into people regardless of gender; why is it wrong that some guys want a private event for themselves? Even throwing in gay jokes, if they want to jack off each other let them, it's their RIGHT to have a private event and it's better for everybody that they openly announce it as such, whatever flumsy reasons they give for it anyways.

I am against this making everything "gender equal"; inclusion is awesome, having a gaming girlfriend is more awesome, but SOME stuff has to be invitation only and sex reserved because quite frankly, I wouldn't want to be the doche that is ruining for everybody else with "hey guys can you please tone language down? Girl here".
    SOME stuff has to be bro only, bros before hos and all that. SOME stuff. Like this one.
    I'm sorry, but that's no bro party, that's a garden hose fest.

Ok, now jokes aside, i'm pretty sure that girls that go into a party of battlefield 3 have a very big probability to be hardcore gamers and i'm more than sure that hardcore gaming females are vaccinated against cursing and beeing harrassed over the internet, so if they sign up to such an event they probably know what they are getting into. If problems/issues happened in the past, then i'm 100% sure those where due to someone not beeing happy with something or someone, and their problem is with those specific people and not with girls in general, i do not believe that girls would go into those events to cause mess. Probably guys were even the ones starting the arguments... So if they have a problem, they have to remove/ban from the events the names of the people who cause mess.But, as crunch said, if they really are some sort of clan and are doing this thing private for male people, then i guess they have the right, but if it's something public, in my opinion to create these divisions and to have this mentality its total nonsence

Leave a comment:

• CptainCrunch
    replied

I can understand having a private event and maybe thats the part I dont get; Is this event a private club thing? I dont mean "guys only" but is this like a community or clan doing this and they have had to tell their female members "no" or is this a "Every guy sign up and show up." event?

If its the first, then I understand and whatever. If its the second, its not private and your excluding.

Crunch

Leave a comment:

Working...
X