World of Warcraft Goes Free to Play!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Warcraft Goes Free to Play!*

*Assuming you only like leveling up to 20 out of a possible 85 character levels. Well hey, it's a start, right? Blizzard revealed earlier today their World of Warcraft Starter Edition that allows players a chance to experience the MMORPG up through 20 character levels worth of content.

There are three ways to get started on your adventure, including visiting WorldOfWarcraft.com, getting an invite from a friend, or using any of the trial codes included in game purchases or physical time card purchases. Blizzard has released a handy FAQ that details exactly what is limited to you as a free player.

The following restrictions are placed on all Starter Edition Accounts:

- A level cap of 20.
    - A maximum of 10 gold.
    - Trade skills are capped at 100 ranks.
    - Unable to trade via the Auction House, mailbox, or player-to-player.
    - In-game access to public chat channels unavailable. Players are limited to communicating using only say, party, or whisper.
    - Characters will be unable to create or join guilds.
    - Characters are not able to send whispers to other characters unless they have been added to the characters' friends lists or have received a whisper from a character first.
    - Characters will not be able to invite other players into a party.
    - Characters will not be able to join parties with other characters above level 20.
    - Voice chat disabled on Starter Edition accounts.
    - Realms experiencing login queues will prioritize players who have full, paid accounts.
    - Starter Edition accounts are not eligible for character transfers
    - RealID features are disabled on all Starter Edition Accounts.

Once you hit level 20, your character stops earning experience and cannot progress any further, but they can continue to play to the best of their abilities. To experience more of the game, simply upgrade online or pick up a copy of the game from retail outlets.

Effectively a 24 hour trial. For someone completely new to the Genre. For others it will be a lot less.

Comment

Thats bull. If there are all these restrictions, i'd rather just not get the game.

Comment

Characters will not be able to invite other players into a party.
        This one kills it

Comment

You realize this is just the same trial account offer than has been available for free for years. This isn't news at all, it looks more like an advertisement...

Comment

Re: World of Warcraft Goes Free to Play!*

Originally posted by Vreki
            This one kills it
            How so? People can still invite you without issue.

Originally posted by adamjmac
            You realize this is just the same trial account offer than has been available for free for years. This isn't news at all, it looks more like an advertisement...
            Wrong, actually. The trials were time limited in the past. There's no time limit on this. You can theoretically keep playing the content at or round level 20 indefinitely. Keep interacting with your friends in game indefinitely, etc.

Though I find it amusing that you'd call this advertising when everything else here that's news can be considered "advertising" of a particular game or company by using your flawed logic.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips

Wrong, actually. The trials were time limited in the past. There's no time limit on this. You can theoretically keep playing the content at or round level 20 indefinitely. Keep interacting with your friends in game indefinitely, etc.

Though I find it amusing that you'd call this advertising when everything else here that's news can be considered "advertising" of a particular game or company by using your flawed logic.
              True, I didn't notice the lack of 10 day time limit.

Comment

I really need to fix the smilies. I included the wink emote at the end to make it look like I'm not a complete dick but it's not showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
                  Because what I would like to do with a F2P Wow is to play it occasional with a friend or two, who isn't likely to be "professional" wow gamers either.
                  So a group of casual F2P players will be unable to create a party, which IMHO is the very core of a game like WoW.

Sure there are regular players around, but most of them will be busy powerlevelling to L80 so that they can raid with a guild.
                  The chance of regularly finding a subscriber of a suitable level and class that wants to play with a couple of noobs are slim.

Comment

Working...
                  X