2K Games Drops Redner Group After Threats Made to Journalists on Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K Games Drops Redner Group After Threats Made to Journalists on Twitter

#AlwaysBetOnDuke too many went too far with their reviews...we r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom
    @TheDCD @planetxbox360 It's one thing to not like a game, it's an entirely different thing to rate it a 2 & b completely mean spirited
    @sybaritictrance It's cool to not like something...no need to be mean about it. But, it shows u...it's easier to b funny when being mean

These are a few of the choice words The Redner Group had to say on Twitter last night in response to the rather low review scores those in the game industry have been giving Duke Nukem Forever. The Redner Group used to be the PR company behind 2K.

I say used to as 2K announced just a short time ago that they have dropped The Redner Group as the company that endorses their products based on the harsh words.

2K Games does not endorse or condone the comments made by @TheRednerGroup and confirm they no longer represent our products.

The comments from Redner were not met with much in the way of high praise amongst gaming journalists either. Here is what Ben Kuchera from Ars Technica had to say.

Be careful, press. If you're too honest, The Redner Group will punish you.
    Don't let gaming PR bully the writers you enjoy. Message @therednergroup and let them know what you think of those kinds of tactics.
    This is the first time I've seen a PR company make a public statement saying they won't work with writers who speak their mind. Deplorable.
    @TheGameCritique @therednergroup says they'll hold back review copies from outlets that "went too far" with Duke reviews

Last night, The Redner Group Twitter deleted their damaging comments and issued apologies via Twitter but it was all for naught. The damage had been done.

I have to apologize to the community. I acted out of pure emotion. I will be sending each of you a private apology.
    I need to state for the record that 2K had nothing to do with this. I will be calling each of you tomorrow to apologize.
    Again, I want everyone to know that I was acting on my own. 2K had nothing to do with this. I am so very sorry for what I said.

As an aside, we at Total Gaming Network will have our own Duke Nukem Forever review up for you shortly. We'd like to believe we're remaining objective in our view of the title and hope that is reflected in our final score for the title. More to come.

As the saying goes, 'A closed mouth gathers no foot.'

Comment

Working...
    X