Call of Duty Elite - Explanatory Trailer and Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of Duty Elite - Explanatory Trailer and Beta

Activision and Infinity Ward have kicked off the news circuit about its Call of Duty Elite service today. This includes word of a beta, a "trailer" for the service, and what is known about what is free and what is a premium service for the title.

Let's let the trailer explain the basics of the service.

The gist of it is that players will be able to join groups, make comments (good or bad), upload videos, see statistics on just about every aspect of the game, and talk crap about your fellow player. C'mon, we all the comments are going to be on par with Youtube comments.

Anyway, as for the pricing details of select features? Right now, your guess is as good as ours. The official Call of Duty Elite home page, which is also offering users a chance to get into the beta, does not offer any hint as to what of those features depicted in the trailer will be free and which will be only for those who pay a subscription fee.

Make of that what you will.

My opinion:

They've basically taken features that were already in past Call of Duty titles (stats), combined them with a Steam Community idea, incorporated Youtube uploads (also free and also from other titles including Dirt 3, Shift 2, and tons others), added in a detailed statistics/heatmap idea that was also from other titles and also offered free (Halo immediately comes to mind), and are going to charge users a fee for at least some of these features?

I couldn't roll my eyes any harder than I am right now.

Comment

^ I agree.

This is all a flashy gimmick. I can't think of a time when I would actually use any of the things on there.
      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

BF Battlerecorder, FREE. YoutTube, FREE. Stats websites, FREE. Clans, FREE. Joining a server to suit your style of play, FREE (well... on a PC's server browser anyway).

Take all this and add Activision = $$$/month. But some bell ends will still buy it.

Comment

CLEARLY marketed towards 12 year olds

Comment

Re: Call of Duty Elite - Explanatory Trailer and Beta

I love the end of that video.

As for Elite, verdict is still out, waiting for further announcements and E3.

Comment

I love the ending music with them walking down the street! haha

Otherwise, this is retarded, I wish I was back in '07 when CoD4 came out. Lets just stick to the good ol' days.

Comment

I can see where this will be great for the console community. They dont have anything like this, do they?

Crunch
                Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I dont get how people are exited at the ending. Again ,to me its just the same engine, the same damn animations and feel to the game. I mean when the guy gets headshoted at the end he falls exactly the same way you fall in other cods right? i mean... i've seen expansions for games come up with more stuff than these "new games"

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                    I can see where this will be great for the console community. They dont have anything like this, do they?

Crunch
                    Halo has something pretty close http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/online.aspx

Comment

If they hadnt said it was MW3 at the end would anyone have actually known? .... No.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch

Crunch
                        Everything in my first reply is also available on the Xbox 360 with the same features with the exception of the Steam Community like features, but with the added benefit of already having parties and groups built in to the Xbox 360 Dashboard itself. Even the heatmap, and indepth stat tracking was done by Halo as I pointed out and as Iwantcable linked to.

So really, there's nothing here that hasn't already been done for free, better, and elsewhere.

Comment

Depends what is Elite and what isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jimykx
                            I dont get how people are exited at the ending.
                            The music they were walking down the street to was funny in the circumstances they were in.

Comment

The video is more or less funny, but paying for something like that is too much when it's free everywhere else. And BF3 will come with the same thing but free.

Comment

Working...
                              X