The Maker of Modern Warfare 3 Has "Moved Beyond" Its Modern Warfare 2 Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Maker of Modern Warfare 3 Has "Moved Beyond" Its Modern Warfare 2 Tech

Infinity Ward, the studio behind Call of Duty and Modern Warfare, is leaving its previously used game engine technology behind for Modern Warfare 3. Will that put an end to cracks about the developer using Quake III Arena-era tech?

While those digs against Infinity Ward may have been unfair and inaccurate—its in-house IW Engine has been regularly updated and refined over the years—the next Call of Duty game appears to leave its id Tech 3 legacy behind.

"We haven't gone into detail on the engine yet but we've moved beyond the [Modern Warfare 2] engine and added a lot of cool stuff for [Modern Warfare 3]," writes Infinity Ward creative strategist Robert Bowling on Twitter.

We'll see what that looks like tonight, when Activision and Infinity Ward release Modern Warfare 3's first gameplay trailer.

So it seems a new engine is on the way for Modern Warfare 3. Did the pressure of Frostbite 2.0 finally make the team decide an update was needed? Will this change things for the franchise being "old" and "stale"? Could this engine support Call of Duty into the future?

The new Modern Warfare 3 trailer has been released and if that is on the new engine, I don't know if I noticed a difference. Did you?

Source
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Just from the gameplay trailer that was just posted, it doesn't look like they made any significant changes to the engine. It seems to play in the same way and there are very few graphical improvements. I am interested in seeing what they have done. If it was anything major, though, I would have though they would be eager to talk about it. Not just vaguely say that they have "moved on."

The only "new" thing I noticed from the video is that there seems to be a slightly better physics engine. But quite frankly, the graphics look worse.
    Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Re: The Maker of Modern Warfare 3 Has "Moved Beyond" Its Modern Warfare 2 Tech

"Moved beyond" the MW2 engine by what standards? It sure as hell isn't a brand new engine. Just seems like they took the Valve cabal route and updated a few areas of their old engine and are trying to call it "moving beyond" like that means something?

Comment

I think it is to early to tell from one gameplay trailer right now. Wait until they actually give us a detailed list, if they do, what they have done with the engine.

Comment

they moved beyond the MW2 engine by putting a 3 in the name instead of a 2

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
            they moved beyond the MW2 engine by putting a 3 in the name instead of a 2
            Genius. You would make millions of $$ working for IW.

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
              I think it is to early to tell from one gameplay trailer right now. Wait until they actually give us a detailed list, if they do, what they have done with the engine.
              Of course it is still early. But the two most major things about an engine are its graphics and its gameplay feel. A gameplay trailer provides a look at both of those, and it looks exactly the same as MW2 in those aspects. If they are in the stage where they are making gameplay trailers, they are basically set on the gameplay aspect of the engine. The graphics are usually enhanced at the end, but that is only improving models and small details. Basically, what you are seeing in that gameplay trailer is what you are getting.
              Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
                Of course it is still early. But the two most major things about an engine are its graphics and its gameplay feel. A gameplay trailer provides a look at both of those, and it looks exactly the same as MW2 in those aspects. If they are in the stage where they are making gameplay trailers, they are basically set on the gameplay aspect of the engine. The graphics are usually enhanced at the end, but that is only improving models and small details. Basically, what you are seeing in that gameplay trailer is what you are getting.
                Still looked awesome to me. I am replaying the MW2 sp right now.

Comment

I see they added bloom to make hard edges look better.

Comment

Working...
                  X