Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Warfare 3: New engine 'would be counter productive' - Infinity Ward

From computersandvideogames.com:

Infinity Ward creative strategist Robert Bowling has said that building a new engine for the Call of Duty franchise "would be counter productive".

When it was put to him on Twitter that "someone just needs to spend the $ and construct a new engine for the CoD franchise... Ground up," Bowling replied: "That would be counter productive. An engine takes years and years to develop and get right."

His comments were made at the same time the internet started going Battlefield 3 crazy over the COD rival's first gameplay trailer, which showed off DICE's impressive Frostbite 2 engine, described by EA as "incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights".

All of the Call of Duty games since 2005's CoD2 have run on the Infinity Ward engine, which has been modified for each iteration of the series, and it sounds like it's going to be no different when the next CoD title releases.

Bowling was also asked over the last day whether he still works for Activision, and if he's going to join his former bosses at new studio Respawn.

He replied: "I work at Infinity Ward and plan to remain here. We've got a great team and working on a great project."

Infinity Ward is rumoured to be co-developing a new Modern Warfare game for release this year with fellow Activision studios Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software.

Last month, the UK Official PlayStation Magazine lent credence to speculation that Modern Warfare 3 will be a prequel starring fan favourite character Ghost.

As for Battlefield 3, we saw the title in action at GDC this morning and our PC Gamer colleagues labelled it "the best looking PC game in the world right now".

CVG editor Tim was equally impressed with the title's visuals and audio. Read his impressions in our GDC Battlefield 3 preview.

Source

This report was then updated by Robert Bowling himself stating:

Infinity Ward creative strategist Robert Bowling has contacted CVG to clarify comments he made on Twitter this week regarding the developer's Call of Duty engine.

As previously reported, Bowling responded to a comment suggesting Activision and IW need to invest in a brand new engine for the franchise by stating that such a move would be "counter productive". Being a Twitter response limited to 140 characters, though, his message didn't come across as clearly as he would have liked.

He told us: "I was speaking hypothetically and from a top-line philosophy that building a ground-up engine is counter productive. [I was] not referring to any specific project, simply clarifying with that user that we never - for any game - build a 'brand new' engine, but iterate on a solid base as you noted in your article, adding what's needed and innovates it.

"The key point is the difference between inferring 'nothing new' and what we were actually discussing which was 'ground-up'. This is standard, as near every engine currently in use by us and other developers are iterations on their previous codebase."

Unsurprisingly, Bowling didn't drop any hints regarding the studio's current work when we pinged him back, but he reiterated that Infinity Ward has "a great team working on a great project".

Whatever Infinity Ward is up to, and we imagine it's a title set in the Modern Warfare universe, it will be going up against DICE's Battlefield 3 and the game's impressive-looking new engine, Frostbite 2.

Source

It should be noted that Call of Duty actually runs on the Quake 3 engine that has been modified and adapted for the franchise today by their respective developers. The Quake 3 engine has been around since 2000.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you think Modern Warfare 3 is going to be on the same engine as the previous titles?
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Modern Warfare 3: New engine 'would be counter productive' - Infinity Ward

I think their line of thought is if it aint broke why fix it. Meaning why spend more money than we have to to build a new engine when we can keep releasing the game on the same engine and make millions as people will still buy it no matter what. I am pretty sure I will not be buying any more future COD games. I also think once they see BF3 and see how much it will put their games to shame then they will release a new engine for their COD series. But still a new engine with the same old COD game play will not persuade me to buy anymore COD games. They will need a new engine and new innovation game play for me to consider buying it.

I also hope others do the same thing. Make Activision and IW realize that releasing a COD every year is not going to cut it anymore. I keep going back to the Tony Hawk analogy but it fits.

Comment

Yeah, CoD is tired garbage these days. Nothing new since MW, really. In fact, the feel and performance have gotten progressively worse while graphics and gameplay haven't changed much at all.

I'm sure they're still confident that the chosen platform will still buy >10million copies, though. So they're obviously going to re-polish and re-release another turd.

Comment

The sad thing is, though, that CoD's gameplay progressively get worse with every released title. But the engine is always "updated".

Comment

Hell, a 14 year old PS3 owner that I am in my schools Concert band with said that CoD is S**T now and he's not buying the next one. This kid usually pisses me off but to hear him say that made me proud that at least some console gamers have brains.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
            Hell, a 14 year old PS3 owner that I am in my schools Concert band with said that CoD is S**T now and he's not buying the next one. This kid usually pisses me off but to hear him say that made me proud that at least some console gamers have brains.
            Oh no, one person isn't going to buy it. I'm sure Activision will be drying their tears with the millions upon millions they'll make from the millions of gamers who will still buy the next COD.

Also, Black Ops is by far a much better game than MW2. I'm not a huge fan of the series aside from MW1's MP, but I'm pretty sure the only reason people like him (people like him being early teens who shouldn't even own the game anyway) say it's "****" is because they can't spam 50 billion things at once or have the juvenile nuke to strive for like they could in MW2 (which was absolute garbage for the MP). Or because they can't earn kills towards their next killstreak with a previous killstreak reward. Boo hoo to them.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
              Oh no, one person isn't going to buy it. I'm sure Activision will be drying their tears with the millions upon millions they'll make from the millions of gamers who will still buy the next COD.

Also, Black Ops is by far a much better game than MW2. I'm not a huge fan of the series aside from MW1's MP, but I'm pretty sure the only reason people like him (people like him being early teens who shouldn't even own the game anyway) say it's "****" is because they can't spam 50 billion things at once or have the juvenile nuke to strive for like they could in MW2 (which was absolute garbage for the MP). Or because they can't earn kills towards their next killstreak with a previous killstreak reward. Boo hoo to them.
              So much hypocrisy in such a short post...

Comment

What? I didnt say every console gamer I knew Isnt going to buy the next... Im just saying I was impressed by one person who I usually despise. I feel sad now... a moderator was sarcastic to me

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                  So much hypocrisy in such a short post...
                  Oh please, Spike, feel free to explain what is hypocritical in my post. This should be quite interesting.

Originally posted by 5t3v0
                  What? I didnt say every console gamer I knew Isnt going to buy the next... Im just saying I was impressed by one person who I usually despise. I feel sad now... a moderator was sarcastic to me
                  I didn't say you did. You said your 14 year old friend isn't buying the next one. I said it doesn't matter one bit to Activision that one person isn't going to buy it when millions of others will.

Comment

I know that. It just was the simple act that the stupidy of activision is seen by just one person under the age of 15. Im pretty sure most people this kids age still think CoD Is TeH awsum!

Comment

I think someone realized that the ADD crowd will be going for the shiniest game, and forced Bowling to attempt a retcon.

Comment

All that money they made tut tut

Comment

They haven't supported the PC since COD4, so they can go get ****ed.

If they want the PC community's love back, it's very simple.
                          - Dedicated Servers.
                          - Mod Tools.
                          - Either free patches with new remade content, or at the very least, release the DLC as the same time as PS3 and XBOX. Why is it, COD4 gives remade maps for free, yet MW2 rehashed old maps and charged you for it.
                          - Lower the price by $10-$15.
                          - Stable release.

In all honesty, they should not release a game this year, and make a real effort with MW3. MW2 wasn't horrifically bad, just a bunch of steps in the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Torchwood
                            MW2 wasn't horrifically bad, just MW repackaged.
                            Fixed.

OH SHI- I just realized that it's RKO! hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                              The sad thing is, though, that CoD's gameplay progressively get worse with every released title. But the engine is always "updated".
                              Yup! Truly agree.

MW3 (oh brother) .. will be the first COD game I won't buy. Black Ops was a waste of money, and MW2 lasted only a few months in entertainment value as well.

COD4 was fun .. everything since then, in my opinion, has sucked.

Comment

Working...
                              X