Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Ahead - Battlefield 1943 Canned

From the Battlefield Blog:
    There comes a time when we as a studio have to choose where to best put our efforts. At DICE we’re dedicated to taking care of our products after launch, and also hell bent on building new, innovative and high quality games.

In my day to day work, I look at our release schedule and the studio’s capacity, weighing them against our wild ambitions to create awesomeness. I often need to make hard calls regarding where we put the studio’s focus. Part of the challenge is to balance work on the new against the already shipped, prioritizing the amount of energy spent on the known franchises and the time spent on developing something entirely new.

This is one of those cross roads where I need to make a hard decision. While we’ll continue supporting Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and previous games, it’s time to look ahead to the next giant leap for DICE – the release of Battlefield 3, powered by the mighty Frostbite 2 engine. Our goal is crystal clear: we’re going to build the best Battlefield game ever, and we’ll do whatever it takes to make this the biggest launch in DICE’s history.

We know some of you eagerly have been awaiting Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Onslaught on PC. I’m sad to say that these two titles are now officially cancelled. Instead, our talented teams will focus on delivering the greatest possible gaming experience in our next behemoth release. We’re confident this will lead to an even better experience in Battlefield 3, not only on PC, but on all platforms.

For an idea of what that means, watch this space for some exciting news I think you’ll like.

Best regards,
    Karl Magnus Troedsson
    General Manager, DICE

I don't think anyone was surprised by this decission. These things can now be put to rest and we can all move on to remember this for another day. It wasn't that hard to tell us they were not coming, was it?

Source
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

2142 on Frostbite !!

Never happen but damn, that would be amazing!

Comment

.....not a shocker......could of done it allot sooner rather than stringing everyone along.....no mention of blanket refunds though.

Who wants to bet on a WW2 DLC pack for BF3, I just dont see them just tossing out the work they already put into it.

Comment

Re: Looking Ahead

Hmm when are they announcing 2142 patch is cancelled?

Also, please release mod tools and the 1943 leftovers for PC so the community can put together its own 1943.

All that being said, yes, please do focus on BF3. Make it not suck. Also include mod tools.

Yours,
        PC Gamers

Comment

Originally posted by bjack
          Hmm when are they announcing 2142 patch is cancelled?
          Its not cancelled. In fact the last "Beta" is now final and they will be releasing the server side patches soon.

Crunch

Comment

1.51 will supposedly be released in a week or two?

And I can't say this is bad news, really. Companies like these don't have a huge number of programmers. Hell, Valve only has 150-200 employees, so I doubt DICE has anymore than that. Cutting out extra smaller projects will free up a larger percentage of people to work on BF3, hopefully making it less buggy and better by release. I can honestly say that I think BF3 will be even less buggy. Look at BC2, it certainly still had it's bugs, but compared to the BF2142 or BF2 releases, it was a significant improvement in my book.

Comment

Re: Looking Ahead - Battlefield 1943 Canned

1.51 is coming next week. A lot of servers are already getting prepped for the switch...

Comment

I'm sort of surprised at the 1943 cancellation but I'll live, I didn't even think they were considering Onslaught on PC.

They should pull all development from Battlefield Play 4 Free and put them to work on Battlefield 3, their so called free Battlefield game is a huge waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
                  1.51 is coming next week. A lot of servers are already getting prepped for the switch...
                  Oh goody. I will have to play a few rounds again if nothing else but for nostalgia's sake.

Comment

im starting to not like all the hype DICE is putting into bf3. i might not survive any future disappointment

Comment

Console market is saturated. They have the chance to really satisfy PC users who have mostly been ignored.

I expect to see extremely well done mod tools on a game built for PC.

This is excellent news to me.

Comment

This can be filed in the: About as surprising as snow in the rockies, file

Dice took on way too many projects and just doesnt care as much about the PC platform as they one did, gotta make that console money baby!

Comment

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK
                          Console market is saturated. They have the chance to really satisfy PC users who have mostly been ignored.

I expect to see extremely well done mod tools on a game built for PC.

This is excellent news to me.

honestly, with the way to community has "embraced" DLC, or grudgingly accepted it......I highly doubt you will ever see the ability for user created free content again. What was the last EA game that allowed mod tools? they are few and far between anymore and rarely available for a blockbuster title when it comes to EA's market strategy. DLC killed the mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerdog
                            I'm sort of surprised at the 1943 cancellation but I'll live, I didn't even think they were considering Onslaught on PC.

They should pull all development from Battlefield Play 4 Free and put them to work on Battlefield 3, their so called free Battlefield game is a huge waste of time.
                            I don't think DICE has anything to do with P4F, though. I think it's being developed by an entirely different company.

Originally posted by *FMJ*Power
                            .....not a shocker......could of done it allot sooner rather than stringing everyone along.....no mention of blanket refunds though.

Who wants to bet on a WW2 DLC pack for BF3, I just dont see them just tossing out the work they already put into it.
                            I'd buy it in an instant (assuming, of course, BF3 itself was worth a purchase).

Comment

Thats correct on the P4F. Its being made by Easy Studios.

Crunch

Comment

Working...
                              X