Activision Wants to Sell You Cutscenes at $30 a Pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision Wants to Sell You Cutscenes at $30 a Pop

Just when you thought Bobby Kotick from Activision couldn't drive the money train any further into the ground, he busts out an all-new money making scheme that is sure to delight.

Speaking yesterday at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference in California, Kotick said that he hopes to release in-engine cutscenes on a DVD format at a roughly $20 to $30 price point.

"If we were to take that hour, or hour an a half, and take it out of the game and we were to go to our audiences, who we have their credit card information a direct relationship, and say to them 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?'

Kotick continued to say he believes his business model is superior to that of current film studios, saying a StarCraft movie distributed by the publisher would crush any opening weekend box office record ever.

But wait, there's more!

"My guess is unlike film studios that are really stuck with a model that goes through theatrical distribution and takes a signification amount of the profit away, if we were to go to an audience and say 'We have this great hour and a half of linear video that we'd like to make available to you at a $20 or $30 price point,' you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever," he said.

"Within the next five years, you are likely to see us do that. It might be in a partnership with somebody or alone, but there will be a time where we'll capitalize on the relationship we have with our audience; deliver them something that is really extraordinary and let them consume it directly through us instead of theatrical distribution.

"If we were to deliver a film digitally this way, I'd say an extremely high percentage would then go to the theater and watch it again."

Honestly, a show of hands here. Who would spend $20-$30 just for an hour and a half of cutscenes when you could purchase the full experience, cutscenes and gameplay, for about double that amount?

Re: Activision Wants to Sell You Cutscenes at $30 a Pop

Or maybe quit buying Activision products to keep from having any more of my money going to that insane bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
      Or maybe quit buying Activision products to keep from having any more of my money going to that insane bastard.
      This.

And no, I wouldnt buy any cutscenes. Its called youtube. It allows me to watch movies vastly superior to anything developers think they have. Except maybe Valve, because they are freaks.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I can't think of anyone who would buy just the cutscenes. This is such a dumb idea.

Comment

So pay 30 bucks for a cutscene or go to the movies and pay about 1/6th that for a movie ticket. Hmm...

Comment

*facepalm* can someone shoot kotick before he drives activision into the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
              *facepalm* can someone shoot kotick before he drives activision into the ground?
              Who knows, maybe that could turn out to be a good thing for the industry.

Comment

After the policies he's set, yeah. Activision dying as a company would be good for gaming. Seeing IW functionally crippled made me smile. They had gotten to be some arrogant turds.

Comment

Kotick, You sir, are a greedy insane mofo, I hope someone rams your fenced in yard in Beverly hills, or where ever the H3LL you live, and throws a burning pile of pooh on your doorstep!

Comment

That's it, he's actually fallen off the fence. He is genuinely insane.

Seldom am I speechless but... Bloody hell...

Comment

Working...
                    X