NVIDIA Announces GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Announces GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480

NVIDIA had a fairly busy day at PAX East, capping it off with their announcement of two new video cards - the GTX 470 and GTX 480. The cards have been priced at $350 and $500 respectively. Here are some details:

Next-generation gaming has arrived. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 gives your games an adrenaline shot with incredible performance and futuristic, visually-stunning graphics. Experience heart-pounding, cinematic visuals on your favorite games with the combined power of DirectX 11, CUDA, and NVIDIA PhysX technologies. And expand your visual real estate across three HD displays in jaw-dropping stereoscopic 3D for the ultimate in immersive gaming. NVIDIA GeForceGTX 470: pure adrenaline meets visual bliss

You can check out the specifications for both cards here and here.

Re: NVIDIA Announces GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480

They missed out the part where they run hot and need their own power plant to run.

Comment

Im surprised as the cards seem not OVERLY priced, i was expecting around $700-$800

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto
        They missed out the part where they run hot and need their own power plant to run.
        The TDP is only 250 Watts, from the looks of it, which is not all that high for a modern video card.

Comment

They still barely even touch ATI's last generation of cards. To little to late NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by AlecJ32
            The TDP is only 250 Watts, from the looks of it, which is not all that high for a modern video card.
            I personally think a 33% increase is high.
            -----

I'm not going to judge a card that is bringing a new technology to the table until it fails. If it persuades game makers to utilize the technology then it succeeds where nvidia wants it to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by AlecJ32
              480 use's 480w on load, 470 is 433,, ATi's are over 100 less and

Comment

I am so out of touch with video cards, what is better, one of these new 480 series or ATi's 5850?

Comment

I think you are confusing the recommended size power supply with how much wattage the card uses. If that card was pushed 480 watts it would fry.
                  The max wattage that can be sent to the card I believe is 300watts? I could be wrong. The pci-e slot will give it a max of 75watts, the 6pin connector can do a max of 75watts and the 8pin can do a max of 150 watts.

If they used 480w under load and had 3 of these cards in SLI you would need 1440 watts just for the cards alone.

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                  I am so out of touch with video cards, what is better, one of these new 480 series or ATi's 5850?
                  From what I've heard the gtx 480 will barely out perform a 5870. I would assume you could easily overclock the 5870 to compete. I've also heard that the 480 under load is hitting really high temps and it might be pretty dumb to OC without watercooling.

If you want to buy a single gpu card today and try to stay above 60 fps in high settings you would want to get a 5870. The 5850 isn't going to be far behind and will more than likely be close to 60 fps in high settings until something like an explosion happens. I hear crossfire in either of these cards is doing excellent on fps but having small glitches in graphics every now and then.

Then you get into dual gpu cards like the 5970 and gtx 295. The GTX 295 will out perform the 5800 models but I do not believe it out performs the 5970. I don't think the new single core nvidia cards will out perform the 5970 either but I do not know. I'm pretty sure card vs card the 5970 is still the king.

I can verify that the gtx 295 hasn't been performing as well as it should be in BF:BC2. This isn't a problem with the actual card though. It's going to be game tweaking and/or nvidia drivers that resolve this and I'm pretty confident they will.

Comment

Anybody who is interested in getting one of those for long run, should wait for another three months for mid-range cards. It also takes time for the process to mature.

Personally, I'm still speculating on when they will migrate to 32 or 28nm.

Comment

The wait is over. We take an in-depth look at GeForce GTX 480 and pass judgement.

It's here! But was it worth the wait? Shane sits down with the GTX 470 and let's us know what he thinks.

HotHardware takes a detailed look at the 40nm GF100 based NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 DirectX 11 graphics card.

Today marks the release of NVIDIA's new GeForce Fermi architecture. After excruciating months of delays, NVIDIA has finally given the green light for their new products. The GeForce GTX 480 offers all the latest features like DirectX 11, Tesselation, gaming on multiple monitors and GPU computation. Did NVIDIA's new card manage to claim the throne?

I'm actually a bit saddened to see the lack of performance increases over ATI's last offering which came out months ago.

Comment

No, the TDP is the max it can draw, 215 for he 470. 250 for the 480

Comment

Unlike most people on the interwebs, I have decided to go with a GTX470. Here are my reasons:

1. I will be running a p55 system with a core i5 661 CPU. As the p55 boards can only run SLI at 8x insted of 16x per channel, a single GPU is a better choice & cheeper than say 2x GTX260.

2. Here in downunder land the GTX470 is cheeper than a HD5870 so it would be a better choice. Even tho the HD5850 is cheeper than the GTX470 by $120, it won't give me the same performance.

3. Most of the DX10/11 games comming out are optimised for nVidia cards which means they will run smoother in these games (METRO 2033, FarCry 2, Crysis, Crysis 2, Red Faction Geurrilla etc.)

4. I dont see myself playing games at some ridiculious res like 2560x1600, which seems to be the only reason for me to consider an ATI card as they do have the upper hand at high res ever since the HD4xxx series. I am quite happy with my 23.6" 1080p monitor.

5. I have been running nVidia cards ever since my 9800 died and they havn't had any of the issues that I had experienced or heard of with ATI cards such as driver issues, fans dying or heat & noise issues. Not to mention they feel very high in quality as opposed to ATI's cards.

I may sound like a fan boi, but I am just speeking from experience & ATI doesn't have anything better to lay on the table that will suit my requirements.

my 2c

Comment

Working...
                          X