Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 sets pace to become the top selling title for March 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 sets pace to become the top selling title for March 201

Originally posted by BlueAngel7
    After seeing how well BFBC2 is doing on PC, and how many units they have been able to shift. I believe Dice would be making financial suicide if they make BF3 a console port. It just won't happen considering the work they have done with the PC only features for BC2, and the strong following on PC compared to other games.
    Yeah financial suicide seeing as how console's will make them way more money than the small market of us PC gamers...

I would love for them to make it for only pc's....but this is EA and Dice we are talking about again. They have been known to not support a game at all after its release. and the PC market is just to small compared to the console market. Kids will buy any game that has a lot of explosions and vehicles and such for the console.

Comment

Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 sets pace to become the top selling title for March 201

There's nothing saying you can't make a PC exclusive these days. Sure multiplatform games make more money but that's kind of a given. The first Bad Company game didn't come to PC because the engine was really new and DICE/EA treated it more as a "side project" for the consoles rather than continuing the main Battlefield franchise on PC. With Bad Company 2 the engine has matured a lot as well as DICE's experiences with how BC1 played out, and together with there not being a PC game in a while it's feasible to make a "port" (it's not ported straight over, think of it like copy pasting the actual game content into a PC version of the engine).

BC2 is already putting a lot of strain on the current consoles and if BF3 is what everyone thinks it is, eg a BC2-BF2 crossover, then it's very likely that BF3 will be a PC exclusive because the current consoles can't handle a similar version. When BF2 was released the current consoles couldn't handle anything near it, so the PS2 and Xbox got BF2:MC, a good game in its own right but not anywhere near BF2 itself obviously. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar for BF3.

I don't understand where people get the idea that PC gaming is dieing. It hasn't even gotten smaller! Console gaming (and gaming as a whole) has gotten a lot more popular but all of those players weren't PC players before. There is still a big market in PC exclusives. Civ 5 is coming out later this year, and the new Deus Ex is a PC exclusive (though admittedly we know very little of the game as of now), SC2, Diablo 3 to name a few.

Making a PC only title is nowhere near "financial suicide", especially now that we're starting to recover from the economic crisis.

Comment

instead of making console ports, why not make a full blown feature loaded version on PC first, and then dumbing it down for consoles? :nod:

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
          instead of making console ports, why not make a full blown feature loaded version on PC first, and then dumbing it down for consoles? :nod:
          That's the old way of doing things. Why spend that money and effort making the best version when more people line up to buy an inferior one?

Anyone remember Donkey Kong Country? They made that game on supercomputers with the best possible graphics technology could produce at the time. Then they just backed it down until the SNES could run it. I think it was one of the best and prettiest 2D platformers I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
            It's pretty obvious even Dice thought it was a flop. That's why they changed the prices for items to effectively make it pay-to-play. It wasn't making enough money on microtransactions and advertisements with the original scheme.
            Plausible theory.

Originally posted by Minmaster
            yea i say it was flop. complete waste of time and resources... like BC2 single player campaign. :dead:
            It's easy to say things are a flop, proving so is another matter.

As for BC2 singleplayer, I bet it resulted in more sales than otherwise and I enjoyed it a lot personally.

Comment

They said before Heroes came out that in order to make any profit with its original pricing it would have to have more players than any of the Battlefield games to that date, and it would have to hold them for a while.

They spent quite a bit making that game, and most people just wanted to play for free. The average person who paid anything at all usually ended up paying around $15-20 from what I read, but only like 3/10 people paid anything at all. I'll have to dig up that magazine article. But yeah, that's why they made VP pretty much useless. You would have to play around the clock just to keep a decent weapon without paying real money for it. So the people who actually liked and played the game on a regular basis either had to pony up some money or just quit playing. Many people I know just quit playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
                That's the old way of doing things. Why spend that money and effort making the best version when more people line up to buy an inferior one?
                Exactly my point. That is probably why bf3 will most likely be a console port.

Heroes was a real flop. The game was awful...third person psh...

Comment

Working...
                X