No announcement yet.

Is GameStop Going the Way of the Dodo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is GameStop Going the Way of the Dodo?

According to Brent Fox, the art director at NinjaBee (A Kingdom for Keflings), brick and mortar retailers of videogames are a dying breed. He goes so far as to say that GameStop is "not going to be around shortly."

"I think GameStop is not going to be around shortly," said Fox during a presentation at the Game Developers Conference discussing NinjaBee's biggest lessons making downloadable games.

"I think the change [to digital] is happening rapidly, where I think GameStop is not going to be around shortly," he said. "I started talking about this six months ago. I was saying 'oh, five years.' ... I've revised my particular prediction to three years and I still think that's talking too long. My [business] partner's original prediction was a little over two years and I think he's going to win."

What's your personal take on the matter? Are retail outlets for games soon to go extinct or will they always be around?

Re: Is GameStop Going the Way of the Dodo?

Why would I want to wait around and download a game on a console when I can drive 5 minutes to my local Gamestop and pick up a hard copy. Plus I would rather have hard copy.

Comment

Working...
    X