Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portal Update Makes with the Mystery (UPDATED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal Update Makes with the Mystery (UPDATED)

UPDATE 5:
    Source

There are also voices that users have been picking up on in a few of the newly added sound files in Portal. The most common voices theorized as being heard are Kleiner's and possibly Barney.

<hr>
    UPDATE 4: Since we last updated, users managed to successfully log in to the BBS and have unearthed a ton of new, mysterious information.

Source

There are also various snippets of text that have been revealed.

---- BEGIN RECORD 'C:\07533945.935\09823219.940' (570 BYTES) ----
    MEMORANDUMS: Filed under CJohnson: 1564029-G

&&*&)90 &^@^@% &@!%@$%@!&@^ ((#(kjkjsdsajdlkdjsk ^@%% and do not 2612%^54talk
    to me about casualty rates. The bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man
    just for bein in a wheelchair. Did it anyway! Ramps are expensive. Or when
    they said I couldn't practice beekeeping in the office. They should have told
    that to the honey that won first place in the state finals! &43$$$ $#@^^&@*&^

Hell, they even said I couldn't cheat death. You know where I'd be if I
    followed the rules? Dead! Dead, and honey prize-less!
    ---- RECORD ENDS ----

<hr>
    UPDATE 3:
    Source (SomethingAwful.com) | Source 2 (SomethingAwful.com)

<hr>
    UPDATE 2:
    Source (SomethingAwful.com)

<hr>
    UPDATE: The BBS number has been discovered: 425-822-5251

If you have a dial-up modem and old BBS software, knock your socks off. In addition, the latitude and longitude associated with that BBS number is also known: 47.6762, -122.2086

<hr>
    Original: An update was released tonight for Valve's Portal.

Changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations
    <!--more-->

As usual, the game will be updated automatically. Hm? What's that? There's more to this than it simply being a minor nonsensical update? Oh, you've got a keen eye on you! Yes, a new achievement has been added as have additional content to the game itself and a mystery that nobody has yet to solve.

When you start up a game of Portal, you'll notice that radio has a lovely new light attached to it. What's been discovered thus far is the fact that if you take the radio to specific areas in the game, different Morse codes will be transmitted. The first of which can be seen in the YouTube video below.

There are hidden images embedded into sound, Morse code, dinosaurs, newly added radios to the game's levels, and so much more.

All images are from around the web including the Steam User Forums and Facepunch, just to name a couple. Rest assured we will update the news as more is revealed!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5bdTlryKes&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0 x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5bdTlryKes&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0 x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Re: Portal Update Makes with the Mystery

More info, morse translations, and a BBS number: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme..._notes/c0lescn

"beep beeeep beep beep beeeep beeeep beeeep beep beeeep beep beep"
    is
    ".-.. --- .-.."
    is
    "LOL"

:laugh:

Comment

Re: Portal Update Makes with the Mystery

More on the BBS! ASCII art of Glados?

Originally posted by http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13764066&postcount=1711
      Something new from CatZilla on IRC:

Username: backup
      password: backup

More:

Edit: I take no credit for this, just relaying info. All credit goes to CatZilla.
      Originally posted by http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p=20508765&postcount=1414
      video of bbs
      This is the first clean stream I recorded from the valve BBS.

The file names of the sounds are "dinosaur#.wav"

Today's Dinosaur Comics is

CONSPIRACY.

:weo:

Comment

Re: Portal Update Makes with the Mystery (UPDATED)

Oh Valve, you are the best devs

Comment

Tie-in toe EP3 coming? Yes please!

Comment

As posted by someone on the Steam forums:

Originally posted by relaxeder
            Check out that wiki someone posted a page or two ago, might be worth a look.

In a nutshell:

-Portal gets surprise update yesterday afternoon
            -People see new mystery achievement
            -People play and see the radio in the beginning room now has a green light
            -Carry it around and notice it makes strange broadcast interference noises in certain places
            -Locate and place all 26 of these mystery radios for achievement
            -Smart people yank wav files out of game content folders and run them through steganography programs
            -Produces 26 weird cryptic image files in a numbered sequence
            -Some dude runs the number string through an md5 hash translator and gets a landline number
            -Internet traces it to Kirkland, WA (near Valve HQ)
            -People find out its not a phone/fax line but a data line hosting a BBS and telnet it
            -Use a clue from one of the files to figure out the BBS user/password login info
            -End up with a bunch of weird ASCII artwork
            -We're trying to figure out wtf it means
            Valve couldn't be more awesome :awes2

Comment

Updated to #5.

... I fully expect there to be even more insanity after I wake up tomorrow. This has been beyond fun to keep track of.

Comment

This is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                X