X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2's Initial Reviews

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
    Money talks.

I'm not saying that IGN reviewers are paid off or anything but... ok ok, that's exactly what I'm inferring. I never trust individual reviews. I always have to check metacritic for the aggregate scores from all over on games I'm on the fence about.
    This. When I look a reviews I usually just check metacritic and gamerankings.

Comment

Come on people it's just a review by a single guy, he gave it a great score. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Originally posted by Snazzy
      I find the criticisms in the IGN review to be quite weak.

- 'Short campaign'

It may be short but as far as Battlefield goes it's just a bonus. It should earn points for even having a campaign at all. I wonder what the result would of been if it didn't have one.
      The two BC titles both have single-player, these can't be compared to the BF games for the PC. If it's included the reviewer has every right to judge them.

- 'Abrupt match ending'

I don't see how that's poor presentation, it's appropriate that the round ends quickly so you can go through the loading process and start the next match as soon as possible. What's the point of continuing a match that's over for an additional second or more?
      Agreed made no sense.
      - 'Too intense to be epic'

I can see the point they're making as quiet times are usually needed to build suspense, but that's assuming DICE really wanted to make a drawn out cinematic experience instead of a frantic over-the-top action ride. People's ideas of 'epic' vary as well.

The way MW2 tries to build suspense isn't particularly effective IMO because the music lets you know when something is about to happen anyway. So you're just waiting to hear the change expecting the next rush of bots.
      Can't really comment on this yet since I haven't played it myself. But it's an opinion, he has every right to his.

Comment

I have no problem with the guys opinion, its that one game gets an 8.9 for the same issues mentioned as the game that gets an 9.5. He does admit at the begining how he did not like the first one. He also says that the game is not worth the money, yet MW2, with the higher price tag, was. He mentions at the end how BC2 is so much better than the first one, but the first one has an 8.6. So its so much better by .4 points? Thats a very large scale. If the same guy did the reviews on all three, I would except to see BC1 at 7.1, BC2 at its 8.9, and MW2 also at 8.9.

But, three different reviews by three different people that like or dont like three different things.

But dont take my opinion on it, look at all three reviews and decide for yourself if this one is fair and a deserving score.

Besides an 8.9 is not the same as a 9.0 in the gaming biz. Maybe they should have a scoring panel, like the Olympics, then you can get a better range, maybe.

Crunch
        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

look, the guy has played the game, we haven't. he is qualified to review it, we aren't.
          and some of you were giving us crap for complaining about the game before its release.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
            look, the guy has played the game, we haven't. he is qualified to review it, we aren't.
            and some of you were giving us crap for complaining about the game before its release.
            No, its his opinion, which is why he made it clear up fron the didnt like the first one. He didn't go to game review school to critique everything properly.

Of course, this might be why they dont let the same people do the reviews on sequals or other games. That way they can give a lower score and everyone just chalk it up to a different guy.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Just watched the review.

I dont quite get the point he was trying to make about DICE wanted the game to feel like a movie. Ok, the cut seens may be like a movie but the gameplay is like a movie?
              He likes to directly compare BC2 with COD/MW2 which i dont feel that should be done as they area totally different games.
              This leads me to believe this guy is abit of tool.

But a big WTF at the Abrupt game ending. What does that mean, how are you supposed to end a game? Like slowly dissolve from the gameplay to the end-of-round screen? Just why why would you say that.

The epicness, mmm, i didnt feel as epic for me as bf2 still does. That could be due to playing only one map in the PC beta, and seemed abit linear, perhaps other maps will differ.

Comment

Originally posted by Eglaerinion
                The two BC titles both have single-player, these can't be compared to the BF games for the PC. If it's included the reviewer has every right to judge them.
                Sure. But considering how he praises the multiplayer but criticizes the singleplayer, it seems like he would of given BC2 a higher score if DICE hadn't of even made a campaign at all.

Originally posted by Eglaerinion
                it's an opinion, he has every right to his.
                Yeah I know he has the right, I just think 'not epic enough because it's too frantic' is a lame complaint (in my opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                  I don't have any problem with his opinion of the game even if I disagree with it, but it seems awfully odd that MW2 got a significantly higher score but had the same issues the reviewer said BC2 had, and BC2 certainly has elements that MW2 doesn't.

The reviewer could have tried to be somewhat objective, especially, at the very least, with a fair grading system.

Comment

Do you guys read reviews to see what some schmuck thinks about the game, or do you want some general information? I have never had problems with IGN/Gamespot reviews, and Im even forgiving Gametrailers for their juvenile and idiotic X360-fanboy-ism. Forums+Youtube+Reviews=Accurate description of the game bar playing a demo.

BFBC2 will get an 8.9 score from some mainstream, overworked guy for completely different reasons its going to get 1-s, 5-s and 10-s. Ive never seen it as a problem.

Just try to tell that to MGS4 worst fanboy group who got pissed at 9/10 scores, or HALO fans for that matter.

Comment

I've played a bit of the single-player. That reviewer can wear a scrotemask. Other than some strange sensitivity things (that existed in the beta with the mortar binos) I had no problems with the SP and thought it was a lot of fun. Now, I can't judge how long it is or how epic the experience, but the limited amount I've played has been pretty good.

It's also really pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
                        I've played a bit of the single-player. Which I acquired legally somehow before the retail date.
                        Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Snazzy
                          Fixed.
                          Why fix it? Everybody but the most uninformed knows that Target has broken the release date in several stores. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by jake_

This guy seems to get too caught up in wanting to watch a movie, not play a game.
                            This is very true.Even though we know that dice is kinda "new" to singleplayer games, what we need here is a multiplayer!!(wich will kick *** mw2 for sure.... even the beta full of bugs and with all that limited weapons already was better than mw2)

AH, and another thing.... this review/reviewer sucks... 1st because of what jake said was totaly right, mw2 had more points and it had the same issues and second...Even if mw2 had better singleplayer, it just cant have better multiplayer... even the beta was better than the whole multiplayer of cod6 and not just to mention that the review was fake and gay because:
                            FIrst: If battlefield did not have singleplayer, then the score would be what... 10/10????
                            Second: even if the singleplayer "sucks" (from the gay guy opinion) the multiplayer would blow it away anyway...
                            What? They wanted bf to had 20 gamemodes like mw2... wich half of them suck , its gimmick and a pretest. And wanted the bf singleplayer to be a movie, and not u actually playing...Ah.. and they also wanted bf to be mw2...
                            JUst the fact that they have destruction, an awsome multiplayer, and destruction in multiplayer.. already gives bf a 10/10 for me.I played mw2 , and i get bored of the multiplayer for half an hour..... Not just to mention that i allways prefered older games likle bf2 and bf2142 to mw2/cod games.

Comment

wow does that guy even own a pc and bugger the sp :evil:
                              mp is wheres its @

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                                Why fix it?
                                Because he could be referring to something that is against forum rules.

Originally posted by Vreki
                                Target has broken the release date in several stores.
                                A legit reason to fill in the 'somehow' bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X