Call Of Duty Brand Return Helps Modern Warfare 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Of Duty Brand Return Helps Modern Warfare 2

Gamesutra has received exclusive OTX data that states the return of the "Call of Duty" brand name has indeed improved Modern Warfare 2's anticipation rating. Check it out:
    While Halo 3: ODST continues to have a "commanding lead" in purchase intent over all forthcoming video games, Modern Warfare 2's placing surged, with the Call Of Duty name re-addition "contributing" to the shift, according to OTX data provided exclusively to Gamasutra.

The regularly compiled chart, which surveys U.S. gamers on titles they are interested in pre-ordering or buying, as well as their knowledge of the game, saw New Super Mario Bros Wii and God Of War III continuing their stints in second and third place respectively.

The rest of the "purchase intent" top five for forthcoming games saw some notable rankings movement, with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 replacing Final Fantasy XIII and Assassin’s Creed 2 at numbers four and five.

As for Modern Warfare 2, OTX recently noted that consumer awareness levels for the game dropped 20 percent after apparent indication that the Call Of Duty name would be omitted. However, with the game's box retaining the CoD brand, it appears that retail consumers, at least, will be aware of the game's connection to the franchise.

The confirmation of the "Call of Duty" branding on Modern Warfare 2's box art -- and the re-addition of this part of the name to the survey -- halfway through OTX's data period for these charts "undoubtedly contributed to the positive movement," the firm added, expecting both awareness and purchase intent surrounding the title to further rise next month.

Separately to branding discussions, Nick Williams, who runs the GamePlan Insights division for OTX, addressed several specific titles.

To read the rest of this article be sure to visit here.

Re: Call Of Duty Brand Return Helps Modern Warfare 2

I knew it.

Comment

I dont understand!?

The name going be Call of duty Modern Warfare 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Swatpll
        I dont understand!?

The name going be Call of duty Modern Warfare 2?
        Call of duty is just going to be on the game box, 402 said they are and always will be referring to this title as Modern Warfare 2.

Comment

They're never gonna escape from the Trademark COD.

Comment

So what this really proved is that people are actually stupid and did not understand Modern Warfare 2 being Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Once they added the CoD title back, the stupid understood and MW2 went up on the charts.

So I guess the world really does need the warning labels about showering with your hair dryer and putting plastic bags over your head.

I'm not surprised.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I don't understand. Usually before buying a game I do some research first. Do people honestly buy games on a whim just because they recognize the brand? I was glad when they were going to completely drop CoD from the title. Are people going to call this one Call of Duty 6 even though it doesn't have it in the title?

Comment

This news makes me lawl.

Comment

Originally posted by Cortlah
                  I don't understand. Usually before buying a game I do some research first. Do people honestly buy games on a whim just because they recognize the brand? I was glad when they were going to completely drop CoD from the title. Are people going to call this one Call of Duty 6 even though it doesn't have it in the title?
                  OK, I was thinking about this. I just couldnt believe that humanity has fallen this far where an actual little title makes that huge of a difference, but I think I figured it out;

By now, I am sure a huge percentage of gamers are "kids". You know, between the ages of say 13 - 17. Ive read articles stating the biggest majority of gamers are actually in their 30s, who grew up with gaming from the PC days of Doom. The thing is that now consoles are a HUGE portion of this and adults that never played the games have kids that do. They dont KNOW about the names and all this confusing variations because they are not gamers themselves.

They know their bratty kids want Call of Duty somethingsomethingstoppedlistentingbecausethekidwo ntshutup. So they go looking for Call of Duty, not some strange game called Modern Warfare 2.

You can also include people just now deciding to get a console and have heard about this cool game called Call of Duty 4/WaW and they dont know either.

So if you combine all these people together, the percentage if people understanding Call of Duty but not Modernwarfare 2 increases!

Thats my theory anyway. I think we need some sort of marketing guy that did this study to come on here and let us know. Maybe they are lurking :wee:

EDIT: One thing I thought of as well is this study mentions they asked "gamers". We dont know what the real questions were. To the study a "gamer" was 1. Do you have a console? and that made them a gamer.

Crunch
                  Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                  Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

ding ding ding!!! Sounds like you nailed every point there Crunch. :thumbsup:

Comment

Working...
                    X