Battlefield 1943 Interview - Patrick Liu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 1943 Interview - Patrick Liu

The guys over at Kikizo posted up a new interview today that they conducted with BF1943 Lead Producer Patrick Liu about "kiddy" gaming, symmetrical maps and the future of Battlefield.
    Kikizo: I find the way you've stripped back the class, vehicle and weapon trees to their fundamentals attractive - there's only one kind of artillery piece, for instance, but that's all you need, really - but some 1942 veterans have accused DICE of dumbing things down. How bothered are you by that?

Liu: I've been following the forums since the announcement, and yes there are certainly critics that it's dumbed down... There's nothing I can really say that will persuade them that it isn't dumbed down, the only way to persuade them is to have them try the game and see what it feels like.

I would still say that yes there are fewer vehicles - there's now one type of plane for example - but as you said the actual type and the gameplay mechanic is there but in a different form, it's slightly more accessible but it still retains the depth when you play the game. There's nothing I can say to tell people that it's not - you'll just have to trust me!

Be sure to read the rest of this interview by visiting here.

Re: Battlefield 1943 Interview - Patrick Liu

Lol... Thats very informed site, they are probably from the future:

Battlefield 1943 is out now on PC, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live.

Comment

I've been following the forums since the announcement, and yes there are certainly critics that it's dumbed down... There's nothing I can really say that will persuade them that it isn't dumbed down, the only way to persuade them is to have them try the game and see what it feels like.
      There is nothing he can say, because its completely true. They've moved from the idea of a wide open sand box war with tons of real weapons and vehicles, for arcadey games meant for casual gamers and young kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Dronetek
        There is nothing he can say, because its completely true. They've moved from the idea of a wide open sand box war with tons of real weapons and vehicles, for arcadey games meant for casual gamers and young kids.
        nonono they havent moved....theyve added a huge branch of games to appeal to different audiences.

Heroes = extremely casual, have a good time, persistence
        1943 = jump in, kick some ***, be done with it
        BC2 = jump in, set up squads, versatile weapons, blow up buildings
        BF3 = hardcore, years to master every tool, depth

Comment

I tend to agree with mojoman and I must apologize to Liu for being one of the haters in the forums.

While I feel that the lack of diversification decreases the ability for innovation, the game isn't designed to be an epic experience in warfare. It's designed to be pretty good fun.

Having not played the final product, I can say that it looks like it hit the mark.

He talks about gameplay mechanic and he's absolutely right. But I still feel like the mechanics they were going for were not for the previous battlefield audience. They wanted to expand it.

Here's the thing about BF (and DICE, despite being owned by EA). When people start playing it, they will tell their friends. With the distribution mechanism of the online console marketplaces, this is something that can easily spread word of mouth. And BF never travels short distances via word of mouth.

So my hope continues to be that this is a success but it doesn't lead DICE to think that this is what the original audience is. Pull them into the dark side with us and sell them BF3 and they will see what diversity in gameplay mechanics gives them.

Comment

What did you guys make of this comment : "We don't have any plans right now to remake BF 2 and forward."??!!

=(

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz-Fraghof
              What did you guys make of this comment : "We don't have any plans right now to remake BF 2 and forward."??!!

=(
              If I can quote a stupid computer quote:

ASCII stupid question; get a stupid ANSI.

The question was not worded well at all. I think because of this - the answer was lost in translation.

Here's the question for those who didn't read:

Kikizo: I think when some people say "kiddy" they basically mean there are too many bright colours and not enough muck on the menu screens. Speaking of focussing on the "core", will we be seeing more Battlefield remakes? Perhaps Battlefield 2?

Comment

Working...
              X