Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Warfare 2 to Get Online Subscriptions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Warfare 2 to Get Online Subscriptions?

It was recently reported over on Destructoid that Activision is thinking of an online subscription system for future Call of Duty titles that will "enhance the multiplayer experience." Listen up:
    According to a mysterious survey making the rounds, Activision is considering creating an online service that would bring timed exclusive content, as well as premium extras, to the multiplayer side of the Call of Duty franchise.

The survey -- of which we can’t verify its validity, but certainly felt interesting enough to pass on -- specifically mentions that the supposed service would “enhance the multiplayer experience and provide exclusive access to a group of gameplay enhancements.” This includes early access to expansions and betas, and exclusive access to character skins, enhanced stat tracking, game modes and even “support for competitive play.”

The service may come with a monthly fee attached to it or may come bundled with a copy of Call of Duty for a flat rate. The monthly fee idea is especially interesting: in March, Activision’s Bobby Kotick hinted at the possibility of a Call of Duty MMO.

"...when you think about other properties that we own and control, like Call of Duty, and what would be the natural evolution of a property like Call of Duty into a massively multiplayer environment, and how do you monetize that," Kotick stated at the Morgan Stanley Technical Conference three billion Internet years ago.

Well, this theoretical online shell -- not quite an MMO -- is certainly one way Activision could suck more rabid fan coin.

While I think I know what the response will be to this news, do you think a subscription service is a good idea? Will the next Call of Duty game move more towards a MMO format?

Re: Modern Warfare 2 to Get Online Subscriptions?

Uh oh... I hear them trying to start the milking machine motor :|:

Comment

Great, I refuse to purchase a monthly "subscription" to play a game!

Comment

I'm guessing this would be a console thing, with PC players just getting the base game as usual. Fine with me though, if people (read: console kiddies) will pay for it, why not?

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooo1

Comment

They have talked about a CoD MMO for quite some time. Since Activision also owns Blizzard, it's not completely out of their realm to do so either. While I think the idea of CoD:MMO could be fun, I also refuse to pay monthly for a game. I won't do it. That will be the end of my CoD career if it is. Well, I will continue playing the CoDs that I have already purchased of course.

Comment

Sounds good...as long as there is quality to match the extra price.

Comment

Please dont make it like WOW

Comment

No, I cant do a monthly subscription. I already pay for PC parts to play the buggy games and a monthly internet fee. For me, gaming is just for fun. I rather put money toward expansion packs and server rentals than a monthly fee for haxusations and noobs running around mouthing off.

Crunch
                  Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                  Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I don't mind buying expansion packs, but I won't pay a monthly subscription, period.

Comment

Lets see what MW2 comes with first. If its just COD4 with different maps, then I would say no

One trailer suggests vehicles, that would be cool, a sub service would work if i could get a helicopter to fly around in, for example

Comment

People.

This hasn't been confirmed yet.

K?

Besides, I can see a huge reduction in players if there is a subscription. Might as well play COD4.

Comment

CoD, I like thee, but the moment they switch to subscription is the moment we part ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantcable
                            I'm guessing this would be a console thing, with PC players just getting the base game as usual. Fine with me though, if people (read: console kiddies) will pay for it, why not?
                            Huh?

Isn't warcraft and quite a few others a monthly subscription on PC?
                            Works the same way... You can buy the core game but if you want the updated gun skins or outfits or be able to customize, you'll have to pay.

Comment

It can't be optional, people. That just fractures the community.

Remember Hellgate: London...

Comment

Working...
                              X