• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imported_Rhino
    replied
    Re: Total Gaming Network Visits DICE

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
    Yup, it's all about great gameplay, not looks
    Here is a small caption from a book from a famous Level Designer who worked on the Unreal Tournament series and many other games that I have read in the past which came out of the gameplay chapter.

Never work oneself to death on just gameplay or just graphics. Only the perfect combination and harmony between each aspect and bring about a good game experience. Graphics are made to support the gameplay while the gameplay is made to support the graphics! One must support the other.
    I've worked on enough maps to understand the fundamentals of what makes a good map and what dose not, thou I dunno really why I'm bothering to reply to this topic again as none of you are going to understand any of this as most of you have already proven in the previous posts.

My point is this, looking at the screenshots, the detail etc on the map looks pretty poor for a BF2 map, things like undergrowth usage, texture usage etc have been used poorly. Some of you may even like the map when it comes out. Fine by me, but most of you are missing out big time with what the all the mods are offering which all in all is for the most part far better quality and much more verity of maps, each mod has easily over 10 unique maps of there own, PR has 20 high quality maps and I'm sure POE2 has a number around there too and FH2 has something like 15 maps and there are many more. Some mods have huge amount of maps in there additional map packs. I find it a huge shame that many of these mods are hardly getting played. This is not a cry out for people to play PR, PR has over its fair share of the total mod players, this is for the BF2 modding community in general where many of the mods are hardly played, many high quality maps hardly getting played.

Here is some random screens of maps your missing out on.

Leave a comment:

• Mo0by
    replied

Originally posted by 12:oc7ock
    Lolz, some of em even entitle themselves 'Network Administrators', cough cough alex.....kid wouldn't know the first thing about Network Administration. Then again I guess configuring the MAC filter on your grandma's Linksys somewhat qualifies.

:laugh:

Ironic because you would expect to get a response like that from one of these "arrogant teengagers." Or maybe that is too kind?

<3 Alex, Interview, TGN

Leave a comment:

• =98=
    replied

Yup, it's all about great gameplay, not looks

Leave a comment:

• FPS[SONIC]
    replied

I really disagree with some folks in this thread about mapping. I've played some truly great maps which were ugly. What made them great was the flow, pacing, balance and layout of the map. The approach to CPs, the defensive lines, the layout of building are all important things which contribute to enjoyable gaming. I've also played some maps which had been meticulously painted and detailed, yet they were not fun experiences.

Is not Songha Stalemate a pretty map? It's hardly ever played though. Folks don't "love" that map for some reason. IMO it's the experience they have on it.

It's the game play experience which means the most to me and since I have not had the opportunity to EXPERIENCE the new map(s), I'm going to reserve my judgment on it(them) until later. Simply seeing some screenies doesn't provide enough data...

Leave a comment:

• Idaeus
    replied

Originally posted by ZARL0R
    I'd like to thank Total Gaming Network for their article on visiting DICE!

I think we've all been very hungry for any scrap of info about what the BF2 patch will contain. First, we wonder for a long time if there's any patch in the works, then we hear there will be and it sounds like it's a simple bugfix patch for the commander asset hacks and maybe ranking/player bugs.

You article gives us some real info about actual game tweaks (J10) and the mention of a new map! Great news, thanks again for the tidbits of info.
    Thank you! Its people like you who makes it so awesome to work on a site like TGN. Although it was really fun to visit DICE it was also hard work to put the article together. Glad to see people who enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Sir. Tasty View Post
    It is a pretty short sighted thing to do to judge a map before even playing it and the only glimpse you have seen of it is screen shots on low.
    Exactly. I've played the map and I thought it looked great! I believe its going to be the chinese version of Karkand. Being intense and having knife traps etc I think its gonna be really fun!

Originally posted by Rhino
    Again, your talking gameplay, I'm talking quality.

if you really want I'll give a full review of the map after its release providing I can find the time.
    Well if those two are not the same thing then gameplay certainly is way more important. Quality is irrelevant compared to gameplay.

Originally posted by Tomeis View Post
    but is it just me or does DICE's HQ look really cool?
    Its awesome! Check out dice.se for more shots of their office, its veeery nice.

Originally posted by TheEn|gma View Post
    100% agreed, lucky lucky boy.
    Yup it was pure luck, I lived the closest lol!

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts View Post
    The first thing a map should provide is gameplay. If a map can not provide good gameplay then it is not a quality map for general play. If you want to make movies or something, that's fine, but all the prettiness in the world can't save a map with bad gameplay.
    Exactly, thank you.

My point still stands. Officially, BF3 does not exist. But it may or may not be under development at DICE. Of course the guy at DICE says it's a rumor, it either doesn't exist or he's under NDA. Any news about BF3 not from DICE is just a rumor.
    As I said, I was only allowed to go on one out of two floors. The other floor is closed to all visitors. And DICE does have unannounced projects in the works. This has been confirmed.

Originally posted by SonicPixel View Post
    I enjoyed the interview and really appreciate the screenies. Good work, TGN.
    Originally posted by Crandaddy View Post
    Idaeus, you are the man!!! :adore:
    Great work.
    Thank you guys! Glad you appreciated it. :thumbsup:

Leave a comment:

• =98=
    replied

Originally posted by 12:oc7ock
    Lolz, some of em even entitle themselves 'Network Administrators', cough cough alex.....kid wouldn't know the first thing about Network Administration. Then again I guess configuring the MAC filter on your grandma's Linksys somewhat qualifies.
    I have trouble setting up Internets. What's MAC filtering, is that where you don't let Apple products on the network?

Leave a comment:

• Grasli
    replied

ThatEvilGuy:
    What? The J-10 can currently turn too easy, everyone can see that. Now they are finally fixing it with Patch 1.50, and you dont like it? We dont want this imbalance anymore. We want it to be balanced now. If you dont like it then you are free to still play at 1.41, while the real players play at 1.50 when it comes out.

Leave a comment:

• ThatEvilGuy
    replied

It sucks that they are toning J-10 down, way to listen to the noobs... and make the game easy.

I found it to be a real challenge fighting with an F-35 against J-10s, and if you are good you could survive easy and win, it was fun out running the missles, staying above them and being more cautious.

J-10s added an extra layer of skill level to achieve in BF2.

Leave a comment:

• Greasy_Mullet
    replied

The first thing a map should provide is gameplay. If a map can not provide good gameplay then it is not a quality map for general play. If you want to make movies or something, that's fine, but all the prettiness in the world can't save a map with bad gameplay.

My point still stands. Officially, BF3 does not exist. But it may or may not be under development at DICE. Of course the guy at DICE says it's a rumor, it either doesn't exist or he's under NDA. Any news about BF3 not from DICE is just a rumor.
    Typcially there is a relationship between solid game design and quality art. Meaning it reflects on the amount of work that has gone into the product. Sure you can have a very good looking map that sucks gameplay wise but it is rare you have it the other way around.

And just an FYI but Rhino along with a few others in this thread are experts on the subject.

Leave a comment:

• CtrlAltDe1337
    replied

Nice info, but about 2 years too late to intrest me much. Maybe I'll reinstall BF2 and check it out if the map is any good.

Leave a comment:

• Crandaddy
    replied

Idaeus, you are the man!!! :adore:
    Great work.

Originally posted by Manzi View Post
    More like 80% of people play BF2 because of stats/rankings.
    And the Truth shall set you free! :mrgreen:

Leave a comment:

• FPS[SONIC]
    replied

Well, I'm ready to see how far down the rabbit hole goes...

I'm pleased at the idea of new maps, but I must admit that I don't really care too much about them. It's cool and all that, but most all of us really are only interested in the next Battlefield game for the PC.

I enjoyed the interview and really appreciate the screenies. Good work, TGN.

Leave a comment:

• Wizrdwarts
    replied

Originally posted by Rhino
    Again, your talking gameplay, I'm talking quality.

if you really want I'll give a full review of the map after its release providing I can find the time.

Originally posted by Webs961 View Post
    Alex is a knob.

The contents of this interview were actually kept secret from most of the staff (including me for a good while) until release date to minimize the potential for leaks. Alex was farming for answers the whole time (and failing quite miserably, might I add). It was cute to watch.

Leave a comment:

• TheEn|gma
    replied

Originally posted by Slashiem
    And lucky B******! for getting the chance to get there.
    100% agreed, lucky lucky boy.

Leave a comment:

• clementsjd1
    Guest replied

Originally posted by DontKnockIt225
    Vanilla is mostly played by adults not, good hitboxes would bring back a younger audience to the game.
    Where do you get your information? Alot of adults do play this game, but it is equally played by the younger generation. Sure the netcode is their to fix it, but in a game where millions of people play it, or have at one time played it, can YOU as a person succesfully keep all those people happy, you got all these people playing the same game, some people complain about the nade spam, some people complain about people using unlocks, some people complain about it taking to long to reach the top ranks.. But I tell you what, You release a game, that get over 2million copies sold, Oh btw you have to keep it in the top 10 or 15 best FPS for 3.5 years.. and you gotta make it 100% perfect. No flaws.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X