Epic's 'Gears of War' to be a Movie by 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic's 'Gears of War' to be a Movie by 2010

According to Epic Games, Gears of war the Movie has its script all set and ready to go. All they need now is to attach a director and get the movie out by summer 2010. Take a look:
    Handling the script is Stuart Beattie who describes the movie as being an "enormous film".

"We've got our script on and a director we're about to attach. We'll hopefully make that early next year for the summer of 2010", says Wyck Godfrey, producer at Twilight.

"That's a huge world. It's a planet and it's a bubble and it's a building. It's an epic sci-fi war and an enormous film. To get it made at all, the only way to make it for a price is to be on a soundstage. But the game also has that look, which is really interesting, so I think it will dovetail really nicely", said Beattie.

Be sure to see more here.

Well gosh darn it seems Hollywood will make a movie out of just about anything. Not surprising I guess. After all, they did say they would make a movie out of Halo.

Comment

Why GOW of all games?

Comment

hopefully mel gibson will get to direct it atleast then we know it will keep its gore factor!

Comment

I don't mind so long as the movie turns out great.

Comment

HALO was "postponed" or rather "paused" because Jackson said the budget would go over 150M, even 250M. At least these are the last rumours I heard. GOW movie has been in talks for more than a year now. MGS movie aswell. As a matter of fact, there are quite a number of movies being either in script writing or pre-production status. Like R6V for example.

As for GOW. Im looking forward to it, the games setting is extraordinaily interesting and very sci-fi. Its truely a 100% fitting base for a cinematic piece.

However, knowing just how well Hollywood makes the game-to-movies, we can very well assume just how crappy it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
              However, knowing just how well Hollywood makes the game-to-movies, we can very well assume just how crappy it will be.
              Thank Uwe Boll for that?

Comment

I'd probably watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Spawndemon View Post
                  Thank Uwe Boll for that?

Out of pretty much all movies based on videogames, Uwe Bolls movie quality is not actually that much worse than others. With a noble exceptions being

- Silent Hill, directed by Christoph Gans
                  - Tomb Raider, directed by Simon West (TR2 by Jan de Bond)
                  - Hitman, directed by Xavier Gens

Now, if you check these three top gems out, they are, by many standards, godawful. So if the best of the many are these, and it took hardcore fan dedication to make Silent Hill, you will forever wonder if Hollywood is ever able to release a solid, enjoyable and basically awesome videogame movie.

Im pretty sure that Tomb Raider fans arent actually that much pleased with Lara Crofts only relation being her big boobs, but the movie at least shares some aspects with the game.
                  Im also sure that Hitman fans will forgive the lack of Bourne-esque pre-work for a hit job and focus on the rather game-like past-work escape action.
                  And as a Silent Hill player myself, I appreciate how close Gans got to the source atmosphere. Some changes were made, but the atmosphere preserved and in the end, the movie is a morphd version of the 2 first games.

So, expect Gears of War to
                  A. Set up on Earth
                  B. Fight against an alien invasion from space
                  C. Only have Marcus Phoenix as a recognizable character (by name)
                  D. Introduce a busty and Rodrigues-esque strong female character-slash-b!tch

The really only videogame movie project that Ive heard was promising, was MGS (that, and cancelled/stopped/paused HALO). David Hayter himself (wrote X-Man and co-wrote X-Man 2 scripts) wrote a script for the movie, and hes a huge fan of the games himself, not to mention a talented writer (his script on "Watchmen" is said to be the best graphic novel adaptions to date), and Hideo Kojima did not accept the script, so you can understand how high are the standards. Not surprisingly, Dr Boll asked for the rights of making the MGS movie and he got a flipped bird.

Comment

id love to see a bioshock movie

Comment

remember the mario movie! lol.. that was just LAME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stephensolofo
                        Now that WOULD be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by stephensolofo
                          That would be pretty freaky

Comment

Originally posted by xX5N1P3RXx View Post
                            remember the mario movie! lol.. that was just LAME!!!
                            Remember the TV series? That was just creepy...

Comment

i feel the film could be good aslong as they dont try and make it their own, and they trystay with the original storyline, it would be cool if they did it fully animated and actually used if possible, some of the original game renders only slightly touched up. i just wish i could play GOW as it seems brilliant

Comment

Working...
                              X