Forgotten Hope 2 Mod Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forgotten Hope 2 Mod Update

Don't worry steeltz, we know you are not flaming but you must recognize lately the poor dev teams are tired with this soap opera of release dates and sci-fi games.

Our goal for FH2 is so ambitious like in FH1 but our first release will be desert campaign and is not so far away to be completed, the other campaigns will be developed with time but you will be busy fighting in the Alamein sands meanwhile.

Maybe you know we created lot of models in our last BF42 release with enough quality to be ported to BF2, like this Stuart, so if you browse our website you will know we just need to finish the panzer 4 to have all the required tanks for 0.1, the finished models are just waiting patiently in the queue to be exported into BF2, but this is not so time consuming like make a model and skin, 0.1 is not so far away like you think, just some patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo[FH]
      0.1 is not so far away like you think, just some patience.
      Ok, i'm taking all bets - let the prophecies begin! :P

Comment

Sounds great Lobo, and sorry that i somehow got in the "line of the impatient", didn't mean for it to come out that way. I realize FH2 will not be like any other mod, but in a league of it's own, qualitywise...

Comment

We all know BF2 wont truly be complete untill POE2, FH2 and BFP2 are released...oh and almost forgot BF1918...2.

anyhow take your time and make it fun, and a couple people may just play it

Comment

Our goal for FH2 is so ambitious like in FH1 but our first release will be desert campaign and is not so far away to be completed, the other campaigns will be developed with time but you will be busy fighting in the Alamein sands meanwhile.

Maybe you know we created lot of models in our last BF42 release with enough quality to be ported to BF2, like this Stuart, so if you browse our website you will know we just need to finish the panzer 4 to have all the required tanks for 0.1, the finished models are just waiting patiently in the queue to be exported into BF2, but this is not so time consuming like make a model and skin, 0.1 is not so far away like you think, just some patience.
            Now that's what I like to hear.

Comment

No, believe me, when we know it can be released we will announce it in our news, not in an egyptian jeroglific hidden in a dark tomb
              lmfao
              yes so true
              yet so funny

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that DC was no more a total conversion than OPK...

Both use some/sometimes many (depending on map) statics from the home game, both had completely new weapons and vehicles but both use many effects and stuff from the original, both also use many of the basic conventions from the original game.

In fact, many, if not most and the more popular ones, of DC's maps were of original BF2 origin while OPK has all original maps, despite having few. This probably evens out with the fact OPK uses BF2 playermodels.

USI is in a different boat, as for now we rely mostly on BF2 statics, playermodels, and handweapons. These are going to be slowly integrated, but vehicles are first priority because for the most part what we have is accurate enough. While we're slightly behind in that matter we have more maps and (probably, I haven't checked the exact count) more vehicles than OPK.

Im sorry guys but all this stuff about these mods not being total conversions and thus blowing them off as early releases and not up to par with yours is ridiculous, they are different strategies to modding. We know our 3D work and attention to detail, nor our current community size, won't live up to FH2's so we know we can't release after both them and the extremely popular PoE2, so we released beforehand to hope to build up a community so we'll gain some real USI players and community members. In the end we'll see what works out and what doesn't, perhaps some mistakes have been made but in the end its just a difference of public strategies. Remember the mods aren't competing to be the best; they're, somewhat though nobody will admit it, competing for playing time.

Comment

Ninjo, the FH devs just freaking said that their original FH was not a TC. They were not acting high and mighty, they were just saying that producing all new weapons and statics takes more time than not doing so.

A TC is a mod whose every artistic element is brand spanking new. The original FH used many vbf1942 statics and models, while I'm not sure how much DC kept of vbf1942, I would disregard the maps that they share as far as deciding whether or not the mod was a TC.

OPK is not a TC because it uses a lot of vbf2 statics and terrain textures and crap like that. It doesn't really matter, though, because only us grognards on these forums will even give a **** whether or not whatever mod is a TC.

God, I wish that the interweb, at least on forums, was less anonymous and that text could carry inflection. Oh well.

Comment

Ninjo, Lobo was in no way blowing off anyone or criticizing any mods or minimizing their efforts, or saying they are not "up to par". This seems obvious to me from reading his posts, but I guess everyone sees things differently.

The only difference that matters in this conversation between FH2 and modern mods, is that there is a much larger body of useable content available from BF2 that can be used, or not, at the mod team's discretion--vehicles, player models, weapons, and buildings. A modern-era warfare mod can use them as they are, use them after slight modifications, or completely replace them. FH1 employed all of these technques and it made things a lot easier, in terms of getting a first release out, to not have to replace absoluteley everything except the rocks and dirt. FH2 (and many ther mods) do not have this option.

This does not mean modern mods are lesser mods in any way, it just means they have can take advantage of options that are not available to what are often described as "total conversion" mods.

Comment

Actually, you would technically have to replace even the rocks and dirt for it to be a TC.

Comment

STRANGER IS SPOT ON. (imoody perhaps a little off lol)

Everyone that mentioned OPK and USI did say that no offence was intended, ninjo. So i am unsure of where you thought we were saying that non TC mod's were "under par"... The only reason they were brought up was because somone referred to them as examples of when and how a mod should be released - when in this case there is clearly alot more work to be done in order to release to a stage at which USI or OPK released. As you said - it comes down to individual release strategies, and i believe in our case we wish to release something really solid for 0.1 - thus our workload.

Hope that clears that up for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by imoody
                          Actually, you would technically have to replace even the rocks and dirt for it to be a TC.

Comment

I will admit, I'm pretty pedantic, but I did link to a wiki article, which is, as you know, equivalent to the WORD OF THE HOLY GOD.

Yeah, that's right, bolded and italicized!

Basically, what the argument seems to boil down to is that it was easier to make a WW2 mod for bf1942, the easiness equating to a lack of the appellation of the term TC onto the end of the mod, while, contrariwise, the opposite is true with BF2. None of which has any bearing on the quality of the work involved.

Also,

(Forgotten Hope)

(kicks)

(donkey)

Comment

Originally posted by imoody
                              I will admit, I'm pretty pedantic.
                              Identifying the disease is the first step.

Also, since I can be pretty dang pedantic myself...please note that I did not actually say FH2 was a total conversion. My esteemed fellow devs did, which is why I wrote 'what are often described as "total conversion" mods.'

The whole "total conversion" thing is a technical distinction that is subjective and sometimes confusing. Some people interpret it as meaning "really cool and impressive" instead of it meaning little more than "very different from the original." Exactly how different something has to be in order to be considered a TC is a bit subjective, IMO, which is why I would not use the term without qualifications. In any case I have a hard time believing that evenCounterstrike, the main example in the article you linked to, did not include a single vertex, pixel or audio file from Half-Life, in CS's very first release.

[edit]Nice rebus![/edit]

Comment

At the end of the day, you'll get what you're given, when you're given it.

Comment

Working...
                                X