No announcement yet.

Wireless dont work on BF2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless dont work on BF2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works ok on firefoz, msn, dloading etc but as soon as u go and log in on BF2 it will be okay for about 5mins and then gamespy would disconnect me!!!! is it a compatability issue or is wireless Crapy all together????

Please Help me out on this one! I have to stay round my mates house and steal his 10 meg connection just to play BF2 online!

Please Give me a shout!

Thanks

-=Joe=-

Re: Wireless dont work on BF2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a cable.

Wireless is still in it's early stages of development and prone to lots of issues. Interfearance being a big one. Those other applications you mention aren't nearly as sensitive the the effects of... say, someone turning on a blender next door.

Comment

that's a great tool for determining your connection quality, you'll be able to spot any blips that occur due to any interferences

Comment

I've been using wireless on BF2 since I got my new PC about 4 months ago. I can safely say I've had no issues with it. I'm new enough to wireless though so I can't offer any troubleshooting suggestions offhand seeing as it's been working smoothly.

Comment

I personally don't know anything about wireless, but my brother runs a wireless network and gets on fine with it, so I don't think the issue is wireless itself, but some other factor that's affecting you.

Doesn't this belong in the "support" forum anyway...? There are probably plenty of people in there who could help you.

Comment

it could just be the card your using, my PC is wireless also but i stopped using it because of that problem, but im lucky to be able to have a wired connection also.

as i want to move my router to a different location id like to get both of my pc's working on a wireless connection and so i can have my gaming machine in my room and not have to worry about waking family up in the middle of the night

Comment

wireless linksys router... netgear card.... no problems here.

Comment

ah mine is a us robotics router/card

Comment

Originally posted by Globetrotter_XL
                  It works ok on firefoz, msn, dloading etc but as soon as u go and log in on BF2 it will be okay for about 5mins and then gamespy would disconnect me!!!! is it a compatability issue or is wireless Crapy all together????

Please Help me out on this one! I have to stay round my mates house and steal his 10 meg connection just to play BF2 online!

Please Give me a shout!

Thanks

-=Joe=-
                  I am fairly knowledgeable with wireless, having installed and configured home and commercial (Aruba) connections.

Your problem is probably within the security measures. What kind of security protocol is your friend running? WEP-64, WEP-128, WPA, WPA-radius? Does he have MAC address restrictions? Is "broadcast" set to ON/OFF?

I wanted my GF to play Call of Duty on our LAN here, and she kept getting dropped off out local LAN, as you've mentioned, but never have an issue with programs that don't need constant "ping" connections. I wanted to keep the security tight yet still allow for optimal use of the wireless router, here is how I set it:

- Broadcast was set to OFF, I set it to ON
                  - Wireless Encryption is at 128bit (simplest)
                  - MAC address restrictions for all the computers being used

It may seem like "too easy of an answer" but I can tell you that it has helped me several times in the past to look and change the security settings.

PEACE

Comment

Check your drivers or see who else is using your connection. I've played BF2 on wireless since almost it came out and I'm lag free. Been using wireless for about 5 or 6 years now. I think it's far well past early development.

More likely than not it's drivers. Could be someone hogging bandwidth either in your out of your house too...

Comment

wireless doesn't work very well for gaming and to be honest i doubt it ever will purely due to latency.

As it is right now id guess that the majority of people who say they have no problems don't have problems mainly because they don't have any encryption. If you use encryption (which everyone should) then it just doesn't work very wel for gaming.

Its not about the speed really either, its just the latency.

Comment

with wireless, you just have too much noise... you can get a better router, however its rather easier and convinient to get cable.

Comment

Originally posted by big_sammy_b
                          wireless doesn't work very well for gaming and to be honest i doubt it ever will purely due to latency.

As it is right now id guess that the majority of people who say they have no problems don't have problems mainly because they don't have any encryption. If you use encryption (which everyone should) then it just doesn't work very wel for gaming.

Its not about the speed really either, its just the latency.
                          as a few people have even mentioned in this thread, wireless works fine. i have no idea what you are talking about with any latency concerns. to the router you are probably at <10ms. over your internet connection you probably spike at least 50-100ms. how could you possibly blame latency?

but you might be right about encryption/security settings being the culprit here. anythings possible. but i don't agree everyone should run with encryption. it depends on the situation. if all you do is casual and non-business web-surfing and gaming, i can't see a reason to encrypt your BF2 packets so your neighbor can't figure out you're now shooting an L96A1... i guess maybe if you don't want your neighbor sniffing out your pr0n perferences then perhaps you are on to something to?

here's a simple test, just turn off all your security/encryption stuff. does it work fine? if so, fiddle with them more to get something as machstem suggests... the most secure you can get without being impacted. that is IF you feel you need security.

Comment

My wireless internet works perfectly well with BF2

Comment

Ok guys, I think i am just going to take my wirles reciever back and gat a 15metre cable! Thats much better!

Comment

Working...
                              X