Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Compression Techniques

Movie Compression Techniques

I have found my self explaining the best way to compress BF2 video numbers of times so I have created this handy guide for any Sir. Video producers.-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Battlelauncher - (http://www.battlelauncher.com/ )

I don’t like using this but unless you have a very high spec computer it’s the only way to get a high quality movie. There are plenty of guides out the explaining how to use this piece of software so I won’t write about that here.

- http://www.battlelauncher.com/index.php?pg=post&id=26 (A very comprehensive usage guide)

- http://www.followme2.com/phpfusion/h...read_id=54#165 (this isn’t the most up-to-date but contains a lot of good information.)

When you get the choice to choose a codec and render your camera track you can choose to render it uncompressed. But doing this means it will take up a huge amount of HDD space, and also some editing software may not like the format that is in. Through looking on goggle and numbers of test I found the best codec to use is the Ligos Indeo Codec 5.11. This is a very good balance between quality and size (almost perfect quality). When using it you will want to set the quality between 85% - 100% (I use 100%) for best results.
    It can be found here:

-http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Indeo_Codec.htm

2) Editing programs

This only applies to Premiere and Vegas (maybe several other types of software but this is all I have used), While this method can be used with windows movie maker its not really worth it as it has a suitable built in compression program.

Generally when you import video into your chosen editing software you will want it to be uncompressed (mainly in the case of fraps recordings) but it is fine if your compressed video is of a very high quality (e.g. the Indeo codec). When you have edited all your clips and are ready to render the are few things you need to do to make sure its at its optimum quality. But the main thing to remember is always render it out as an uncompressed format. The main reason for this is DivX or XVid codecs are not normally compatible with Premiere and Vegas. The DivX codec will be used later in the compression but for now there are few settings you need to change.

These following settings are what I use and work well in most cases.

Compressor / Format = Uncompressed
    You will probably have a long list of available codecs to choose from here but unless you have tested them all and found a good one always choose uncompressed.

Timebase / Frame rate = 25.00
    You will rarely need more than 25 FPS for your final render as this plays smoothly and helps to keep the filesize down.

Framesize = 720 x 480
    This is one of the factors that can vary quite a bit depending on how you want the movie to look. Using 720 x 480 is a standard resolution that is commonly uses but for a smaller files 640 x 480 works well. But what ever you use it won’t really matter, choose what fits you project.

Pixel aspect ratio = 1.00
    I use this almost all the time because if you have shapes e.g. the Sir. Sign that have a set shape change this may affect the way it looks. But you alter this if you want to get different wide screen style results.

These explain most of the main options; I will explain the other more advanced things another time when I update this guide. So you can leave them all as standard/how you found them.

Audio rendering options.

Now you get to choose audio options before rendering.

Compression = Uncompressed
    Again it is best to leave this uncompressed and compress this with another program at the end.

Sample rate = 48,000
    The higher the rate the higher the quality but the bigger the file size, using 48,000 is a good balance although you may consider going higher sometimes. This can also be change later if you choose a high rate but desire greater compression.

Bit depth = 16
    This is a pretty standard value and there is no need to alter it.

Channels = stereo
    This is one of those things that depends how advanced sounds in you project are going to be. Mono is simple and probably shouldn’t be used unless it’s a very simple movie. Stereo is the next step-up and can create reasonable sound effects and is what I use. If you want to go even further you can start using surround sounds like 5.1 although this can add a lot of effort into you production.

After having set this up you are now finally ready to render out your movie.
    By using these settings it will create a very big file size, probably around 1gb per minute or higher. But this will be sorted out in the next stage.

3) Final Compression

I use VirtualDub to do this, as it is a free (legal) program that does its job very well. It can be found here- http://www.virtualdub.org/

The codec im going to use is the latest DivX one if you want to know more about why look here - http://www.machinima.com/article.php?article=159
    DivX has a large number of features and things that can be done for some more advanced explantions visit here - http://www.divxmovies.com/guides/

DivX can be found and downloaded from here - http://www.divx.com/

a)Firstly go to File > Open video file and choose then file that you just rendered.
    Then go to Video > Compression and you will get presented with a list of codecs. From this you will want to choose DivX 6.1.1 Codec (1 Logical CPU), next click configure.

b) This is pretty much how you control the final size a quality of your project. The certificate profile allows you to choose presets but you probably won’t use this most of the time. The main thing you will need to change in this window is the Bitrate speed. I reccomend setting this at value between 2000 - 3000 for good quality but maybe slightly lower in some cases.

At the bottom the is a quality based way to do it. 1 is the highest quailty and biggest filesize. This can be good to use sometimes and is best to set at anywhere from 1 - 5, any lower and the quality quickly becomes very bad. I mainly stick with the bit rate though.

c) On the codec tab you will always want to set “Encoding mode” to insane quality. It takes the longest but is worth the extra time. Also its best to leave frame control alone unless you know what you are doing with it.

d) Finally there is the video tab. Here you can choose to resize the Video again but it’s normally best to leave this on “keep resolution”. Noise reduction can be a way to smooth the image but can also add ghosting so you may want to have this off or set it to light. The other options don’t do to much but you may want to play around with them.

Audio Compression

If this is left uncompressed it can often cause very big video sizes and it is not the video codec that should be blamed. This can be sorted by following these few steps.

Before it is setup you will need to adjust a few of the audio options. Go to Audio > Full Processing mode and switch it on. Then go to Audio > Compression and you will be presented with another list of codecs. Here you want to make sure you use a standard codec so people don’t have problems hearing the sound. So for this choose the MPEG layer-3 . It Then doesn’t really matter which option you choose but the higher in the list the bigger the filesize and higher the quality. I normally use the 48 Kbits option.

Final go to File > Save as AVI.
    It will now render you finished movie, nice and compressed. You may have to play around a bit with the actual settings but hopefully this gives you a good starting point.

Hope this helps, if any of you big movie producers have more to add please say so I can edit this post.

Sir. Xios

Re: Movie Compression Techniques

awesomness

Comment

Very Nice should be stickyed

Comment

^^

Comment

If you are going to compress later after editing etc. the Uncompressed should be what you render out of Battlelauncher with, otherwise very helpful thanks.

Comment

Thanks heaps just what I was looking for being a n00b to the movie making scene.

Once you have downloaded the Codec were do you put it?
            n00b here.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCougar
              Thanks heaps just what I was looking for being a n00b to the movie making scene.

Once you have downloaded the Codec were do you put it?
              n00b here.
              It will be in the compression options of what ever editing software your useing.
              Vegas video 6 = Render as, then select your compression - Divx

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley_ie
                It will be in the compression options of what ever editing software your useing.
                Vegas video 6 = Render as, then select your compression - Divx
                Yeah its all good, thanks anyway, I was thinking ahead before I had even finished downloading it thinking it would be a file but it was actually an installer so I had no problems with it.

Thanks anyway Smiley.

Comment

Just a note to people: Audio Compression is important, if you leave it uncompressed you will end up with a huge video file which is not the video codecs fault its probably because you didn't compress audio.

Comment

Thanks NeoRicen, i added that bit in and made it more obvious.

Comment

I'm gonna post my own "guide" thing, I did it a while ago, but it should hold up. It produced this video:

File Size = 31mb
                      Length = 3:40

Basically, this method will produce output from battlelauncher that is already compressed using a very good codec, making it take up minimum space on your HDD, and should have identical resolution to what the finished video will be.

Some of it is part of an older tutorial, which I improved and expanded for this.
                      -------------------------
                      This is how i make my movies.
                      BattleLauncher is from now on known as BL.

I use:
                      BattleRecorder for the demos in BF2, or the demo feature. Same thing, but demos can only be used if you are the server (ie offline mode on your own, or you are the server)

BattleLauncher for camera moves and final render of movie.

I use DivX 4.12 for my video codec, both in vegas and in BL for recording movies.

Vegas 5.0 for video editing.

Audacity for sound edit.

Gamesetting when record cameras, all low.
                      Gamesetting when renderer movie, Ultra-High (even if you have a less powerful Graphics Card, you should be able to use Ultra-High or High, I had a 9800 pro and 1gb ram and was able to use High I think, with 6x AA).

Best to use multiple "offline" profiles, and do one thing at a time, because when using BL, it launches with the last used profile I belive the latest versions of BL give you an option.

Tips:
                      When you record camera in BL, do it in a low or middle settings (or whatever you are comfortable using for whatever you need to do)
                      Those will be gone when you renderer your movie at the end of the prosess.
                      All that will be left is the visual in-game stuff, not anything else like hud Etc.

Note: What WILL appear is the "Rose" for the various speed settings, if you want the finished video to have smooth "slowing" effects, you need to manually set it, either with the "Q" Rose which will show up, or with keyboard shortcuts, I say this in the tutorial, but repeating it anyway. When doing the CAMERA, using different speeds will not effect the speed of a render, simply how much time you have to move the camera during the shot.

When you render a movie, do it in the highest setting.
                      BL can be set to Ultra-High, in the BL "Settings" tab. I don't use Ultra-High though, my 9800 pro would probably explode. I use everything up as high (without going to ultra-high) and 6x AA.

Step by step:

1) Settings:
                      Load up Bf2 and select the offline profile with low settings.

2) Project folder:
                      In your DEMOS folder, Make a "New Project" folder, or something similar.

3) Demos will appear in the DEMO folder, you may want to move them to the project folder

4) BF2 Window Settings:
                      With: 720 Heights 480
                      X/Y position 0 - 0
                      Mark "Windowed Mode"

Gameplay:
                      FPS: 25
                      FOV: 105

Save this as a preset, everything except window mode will stay the same, each time you restart BL, you'll need to recheck window mode.

5) Seeing and planing your movie:
                      You can skip this if you already know what scenes you want in your movie.
                      Press "Play Demo with User Camera", in the BattleRecorder Launching Options,
                      and move around in the game, and see where you will record some scenes. This is just a normal free-roam camera.

6) Record camera:
                      Select "Play Demo, record Camera" in the BattleRecorder Launching Options.
                      Give your camera a name, in "Camera Name. Press Run when ready to record your camera.

Basically, move the camera to the position you want to start the video, then start the demo playback, and move it along the way you want. If you pause it then move the camera, the end result will be it moving along that point rather quickly, also, if you slow the time, that is not recorded, the time will proceed normally when rendering\viewing, but the camera movement will still happen.

Once the game runs through the demo, it will stop, you can then quit with the rose menu.

7) Play Demo with Recorded Camera:
                      To watch what you've done, choose the demo file and the camera file saved earlier, and then choose PLAY DEMO WITH RECORDED CAMERA, then click run, once you start, you have no control of camera movement, but you can still pause etc. If you are happy contine to next step, if not delete and record the camera again.

8) In BattleRecorder Launching Options select "Render to Video".
                      Choose your preset, and then click window mode as ON (box is ticked), the type a video name and choose run. Do not alt-tab out or click on another window until the game has loaded the demo.

9) Once the demo has loaded, you will need to choose a codec. I choose DivX 4.12, then choose configure or options, and the pretty much only thing you need to look at is the Kb\S slider, 1000 Kb\S is a pretty good choice, and will give you very good quality at 720 by 480, and for a short movie clip, you'll have probably 1-5 MB file size only. My "preview" was only 9 mb in total, and that had a music clip as well.

10) Click ok on the codec, and then join game in the BF2 window, once the game\demo loads, you'll see the game start to render, move the mouse out of the way off to the side, and after you are ready, bring the speed rose up and choose normal speed or half speed or whatever, one thing to remember is that it will render whatever is in the bf2 window, so bringing up the rose in the middle of a shot or the mouse in the middle can ruin a render.

This part can take a while. You can alt-tab once the actual demo is running and rendering, and surf or something, don't do anything too intense though. Once the demo is run through from start to finish the game will auto-quit. You can stop the rendering at any time with the R button.

11) Seeing the movie.
                      Here you will find your movie.
                      Mine is here, depends on where you installed the game.
                      ....\Games\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Demos

Repeat steps 5-11 for each camera angle for each shot.

12) (Note I did'nt use sound, so this is the other guys stuff totally)
                      Adding Sound.
                      Use a profile with low grahpics and high sound quality (or just get your low quality and change the sound manually, you'll have to log into it anyway to stop BL launching with your high quality profile.

13) Start your "Windows play control".
                      Mark the linie "What you Hear". Keep it open, if it turns of.
                      It sometimes does.

14) BL sound settings:
                      Go to the "Settings" tab in BL, select "Sound Capture".

15) Recording sound:
                      In BattleRecorder Launching Options select "Play Demo with Recored Camera".

BF2 Window Settings:
                      With: 720 Heights 480
                      X/Y position 0 - 0
                      Mark "Windowed Mode"
                      Gameplay:
                      FPS: 25
                      FOV: 105

In Additional, mark "Capture Sound".
                      Hit Run the game starts, press start game when ready.
                      The sound will be recorded to a file, that shows up in the "Files in BF2" window.

16) Edit the sound file.
                      Find the soundfile, it is in the same folder as the demo you working in.
                      Open it in a Sound Edit prog (ie Audacity), and remove the start music, and up til where the gamesound starts.

17) Mix the movie with sound.
                      Open your Movie edit program.
                      Do the settings to 25 fps and 720x480 or whatever you choose for your movie.Drag the movie file to your timeline, do the samething with the sound.

Vegas has a trimmer mode that you can select parts, or you can manually trim the file once in the video timeline.

Do this for your entire movie edit it, add features, sounds, transitions, effects, this is pretty much worth it's own tutorial, but in the end it's resonably easy to do if you look around and try things.

18) Render your movie.
                      In Vegas, press Ctrl-A for select all, and drag your mouse over the entire film. Then choose Render As in the options menu, and set the movie settings for rendering, I have a preset, which is the Div X 4.12 codec for video and the Lame MP3 codec for sound.

That might take a while my 1 min preview takes about 30 mins to render, and you'll have your movie in AVI format.

If you have no sound, you should try rendering in "uncompressed" mode to see what size it is and it's quality, it should be okay if you did all the movies in the same codec\preset when rendering from battlelauncher.

One final thing, if you use music in your video, credit it by title and artist.

Comment

I've seen this before of course, but only now it has been a very helpfull tool for me. Thank you Xios!

Comment

Sorry to be newb...

To the first post...

The Usage of recording from BattleLauncher,
                          is Fraps a comparrison program? or should be have both?
                          Because i thought originally all these movies were with fraps

Now i'm abit confused

FL.

Comment

I don't get sound with BL, so I find that using Fraps in BR is much less of a hassle.

So far.

Comment

lol to compress i just use windows moive maker makes the file 5mb or so where as in fraps its 100mb :O

Comment

Working...
                              X