No announcement yet.

Anyone seen the BBC Movie "Bravo 2-0"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen the BBC Movie "Bravo 2-0"?

Bravo 2-0 is a great movie made by the BBC about a special forces unit on a mission in Iraq during the "desert storm" war. The movie is better than most hollywood type flicks like this because the attention to detail.

My favorite part of the movie was the british SF squad(call sign: Bravo 2-0) attacking a force at least 3 times larger with an APC. Fantastic scene, and the tactic they employed made sense when facing overwhelming odds. I won't spoil any of it for those that haven't seen it.

Recommended(netflix has it).

A great[but very long] WW2 German U-boat movie is "Das Boot"(The boat). This movie is as much a history lesson as movie. Fantastic detail, and one of the movies that pioneered "Steady-Cam" uncut long shots. Many shots moving from one end of the U-boat to the other uncut through the hatches. I recommend watching it in German with english Subs.

Re: Anyone seen the BBC Movie "Bravo 2-0"?

Originally posted by PrayingHands
    Bravo 2-0 is a great movie made by the BBC about a special forces unit on a mission in Iraq during the "desert storm" war. The movie is better than most hollywood type flicks like this because the attention to detail.

My favorite part of the movie was the british SF squad(call sign: Bravo 2-0) attacking a force at least 3 times larger with an APC. Fantastic scene, and the tactic they employed made sense when facing overwhelming odds. I won't spoil any of it for those that haven't seen it.

Recommended(netflix has it).

A great[but very long] WW2 German U-boat movie is "Das Boot"(The boat). This movie is as much a history lesson as movie. Fantastic detail, and one of the movies that pioneered "Steady-Cam" uncut long shots. Many shots moving from one end of the U-boat to the other uncut through the hatches. I recommend watching it in German with english Subs.
    Didn`t know there was one. Read the book years ago.

Comment

Yes it stars Sean Bean as the lead character, and was incredibly exciting

Comment

Welcome to 1999 (BTZ) or 1981 (Das Boot) , I must be getting old I guess

And its Bravo Two Zero

Both Das Boot and Bravo Two Zero are based on true stories btw.

Comment

I'd take the "facts" in B20 with a pinch of salt, still its an entertaining book and film.

Comment

Originally posted by I_M_Weasel0r
            I'd take the "facts" in B20 with a pinch of salt, still its an entertaining book and film.
            B20 is OK, but imho isn't in the same league as Das Boot.

After reading this book and watching the documentary based on Michael Asher's book, I take the B20 book and film with a big bag of salt...

Comment

I saw some parts of Bravo 2 Zero, but i would like to buy a DVD of it from BBC.

Comment

i bought the dvd of Bravo Two Zero a few months back. its good.

i read Chris Ryans book of the events 'The One That Got Away' last week. I intend to read Andy McNabs oneif i can be bothered then i may even buy that book from that link too just for giggles

Comment

Chris Ryan's and Andy McNab's accounts in their respective books... shall we say "differ somewhat". I've read both (and also other novels by both authors), and both are good reads, but they don't agree with each other on what happened before the patrol was split up. Andy McNab, the sergeant in command of the patrol, was captured, but Chris Ryan was "the one that got away" and escaped to Syria. But they both tell a different version of events, making it questionable whether either "factual" account is entirely accurate...

Comment

I saw a show on the history channel recently which was all about the history of the SAS. It was sooooo interesting. I had no clue the SAS has had been involved in so many conflicts all over the globe in recent years. They are definitely badass.

They talked about the book bravo 2-0 which I assume this movie was based on. Apparently ever since then all SAS members must sign a legal document which says they can never discuss/write books/make movies about past operations.

Also saw footage of them running around with LMGs firing from standing position which made me smile when I thought of how people often claim that is not possible when discussing the support class in BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by Jemme101
                      Welcome to 1999 (BTZ) or 1981 (Das Boot) , I must be getting old I guess

And its Bravo Two Zero

Both Das Boot and Bravo Two Zero are based on true stories btw.
                      Mr. T is curious....

He beat cancer, so you know he can beat you.

Regardless of my spelling, or release date, there are alot of folks here that have likely not heard of these movies. I love war based movies and thought I'd pass along some jewels.

Bottom line...
                      PH recommends(but not limited to)
                      Das Boot 1981
                      Bravo TWO ZERO 1999

Comment

Originally posted by ChuChu
                        They talked about the book bravo 2-0 which I assume this movie was based on. Apparently ever since then all SAS members must sign a legal document which says they can never discuss/write books/make movies about past operations.
                        Yeah... it's called the Official Secrets Act, and was first enabled in 1911 (and amended in 1989)... The SAS has always been subject to it, not just since Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away in the nineties. Why do you think no-one even knew they existed until they stormed the Iranian embassy in 1980 - despite the regiment being approximately 40 years old by then?

McNab and Ryan "fell out of favour" (to put it politely) with the British military for publishing their books, but there have been several high-profile embarrassments to the UK government regarding the Official Secrets Act. Does anyone (I'm probably only talking to Brits over the age of 25 or 30 here) remember the fuss about the book "Spycatcher" in the eighties??

Comment

Das Boot was EXCELLENT.

and I will check out Bravo two zero, sounds good.

and if you want to get technical its really "Bravo Too Zeero"(at least its supposed to be written that way, stateside.)

Comment

Oh yes, I remember the furore about Spycatcher, I've never read it, but apparently there was a lot of fuss about nothing.

Talking of books, I've just finished Black Hawk Down, the book, and although the movie is awesome, the book has so much more detail. For instance, Delta Snipers Randy Schugart and Gary Gordon did considerably more than what was shown in the film.

Comment

Most war movies are done well, with the exception of a few...(Sniper1, 2, & 3)
                              That movie was a joke. Blackhawkdown was done well, Saving Private Ryan also, but one of my personal favorites was Windtalkers.

I still havn't had a chance to see Jarhead..but I have been hearing mixed things.

Comment

Working...
                              X