Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Nvidia cards.

What does overclocking do?

If someone using this feature did you notice the difference in performance?

Re: Overclocking Nvidia cards.

In most of the video cards, cpu's and so on it's possible to manually set the clock frequency/ies. Set it higher => you get more performance.

For instance when i overclocked, tweaked and "unlocked" my old 6800le my 3dMark05 score doubled. And so did gaming performance. Performance gain depends from your hardware and its oveclockability.

Comment

I've always wondered about this also. I'm jsut wondering where can we find out how to overclock and a safe number to overclock too. I have a GeForce 6800 so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Comment

On a side note if you have crash to desktop issues often dont overclock to much or they begin to increase.

Comment

Originally posted by tw1g
          I've always wondered about this also. I'm jsut wondering where can we find out how to overclock and a safe number to overclock too. I have a GeForce 6800 so any help you can give me would be appreciated.
          Every card is different, so no one can tell you a specific number. Overclocking is just getting the most out of your card.

To start with go to http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=201
          and run that registry entry. It will then unlock your Nvidia drivers, assuming you have newish ones (forceware). You will then be able to play around with core and memory timings.

A simple way is to click on the "optimise" button in the driver window, save and restart.
          Also make sure you check the temperature of your card, if it gets to hot you could fry it.
          If you notice any strange colours or textures while playing a game, turn down the timings a bit.

Google is your friend

Comment

TweakGuides has excellent resources for overclocking both NVidia and ATI cards. Check them out. You will notice at least a marginal improvement in FPS and in 3DMark.

Caveat emptor, OC'ng can lead to heat issues which take away the gains you thought you had. I tried OC'ng my 7800's and they worked really well until you played for 30+ minutes. Then graphical tearing would start to occur and system slowdown. Checking temps proved them to be almost 10 degrees higher than with no OC, so that was the culrpit. As soon as I turned the OC back down things stabilized.

Weren't you thinking of getting 7800 or 7900's anyway? If you get an SLI rig why bother with OC'ng? They can run BF2 at highest without upping the clock.

EDIT: BTW, this should be posted in the Hardware Forum.

Comment

Please allow mw to say this to anyone who might be new to overclocking in a simple and straightforward manner:

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU ARE JUST GETTING STARTED. OC'ING CAN AND WILL PIFF YOUR VIDEO CARD IF YOU PUSH TOO FAR.

That being said, make sure you read up on what you are doing, and if the info is written in 733t 5p33k the take it with a grain of salt, certainly.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by El_m_ent
                BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU ARE JUST GETTING STARTED. OC'ING CAN AND WILL PIFF YOUR VIDEO CARD IF YOU PUSH TOO FAR.
                I can't stress enough how true this statement is. Overclocking is a very tedious process when done correctly because it requires very small changes and testing. If you try to make a big jump it is more likely to end up in disaster.

Again, do a Google search on TweakGuides. They have OC'ng guides for video cards, CPUs, etc etc. I've found their methods to be quite credible.

Comment

nobody has mentioned that it also increases the heat, lol

make sure u have good airflow in ur case & i recommend u use a 3rd party cooling solution for the GFX card or what ever ur over clocking, ie water cooling for the extreme or..a top brand GPU cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by =TBS=Tonic
                    nobody has mentioned that it also increases the heat, lol
                    I did. Check my post (Caveat Emptor...).

I'm aircooled but the vid cards have their own fans. Wish I would have liquid cooled. It cuts the nuts off of any OC'ng ideas I might have. Definitely will do it next time.

Comment

Just download rivaturner and start pushing your mhz up by 5-10 at a time. Then run some 3D test like 3dmark for example. If the screen is clear and dosent freeze then your fine , repeat this until you fail 3dmark or it starts showing artifacts. Nowadays gfx card dont fry so its not a problem , dont be afraid.
                      They can hold up around ~100 C and still working . Plus OCing with soft based program you cant add extra volts to core or mem ( voltmod ) altho X1800/1900 have this ability. Buying a good aircooler to your videocard helps alot when it comes to OC. Zalman VF-700 CU with mem rads is a very good and its quite cheap as well.

Sry for my english

Comment

Yo Cpt. Black. What are your video settings/box specs/framerates with the 6800.

I have the same card and would like to compare framerates. I'm getting 9105 right now on 3d mark 2003

Comment

I'm too paranoid to overclock. Usually i get brave and do it, but the minute i see a video flicker i freak out and reset it back to default. These damn cards are wayyy to expensive to chance a bad OC.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenomenon
                            Yo Cpt. Black. What are your video settings/box specs/framerates with the 6800.

I have the same card and would like to compare framerates. I'm getting 9105 right now on 3d mark 2003
                            I didnt test it with 3D mark i was trying to download it but the site was too slow so i quit. When i get it i let you know.

Comment

www.futuremark.com is your awnser by getting 3dmark programs. There are lot of good mirrors.

Comment

Working...
                              X