Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why worry about 2142?

I could care less about BF2142.

The more I think about it, though I am not going to buy it, I am happy to see the Sweden office occupy there time with this project then working on the BF3 engine.

Why do I say this? Well, though there are a lot of improvements we could see with a quick release of BF3, I feel we would get seriously short-changed by it. With Vista on the horizon, Microsoft is hard a work with DX10. The potential that DX10 has with Vista could be amazing. Aside from that, the recent talk about modular advanced physics engines around the corner, there could be a sudden rethinking of game effects/action.

Microsoft has not even released the SDK (to my knowledge) for DX10, so why should we really worry about what DiCE is up to, besides patch/map updates?

I am hoping they are sizing up multi-core machines and x64 processing for their BF3 engine. With x64 allowing insane amounts of memory, I hope they do screw around more with good booster packs and side projects. So when they do come out with BF3, it will be something the will blow our ****ing mines out!

:salute:

Re: Why worry about 2142?

wait.....

if they are "wasting their time" with this project

then how is bf3 not going to get rushed?

i don't understand the logic.

Comment

wait a second.

how is this BF3 so amazing? wont we all need to buy a computer with 4 gigs of ram and a 7800 GTX or better to make BF3 work?

or is it so revolutionary itll work on less than a 5000 dollar brand new computer?

cause if it doesnt, itll be on PS3 and thats where ill play it. 500 bucks is the most im paying for any new game.

also, what will BF3 be based on anyway? personally, id update the following with BF3 engine graphics

Battlefield 1942
      Battlefield Vietnam (never bought this one)
      Battlefield 2
      all booster packs

and add a ton more maps. frankly, other than star wars and bfpirates mods, i dont think there are any more good time periods for battlefield sequels. i just want better graphics and no bugs, and new features that make it better, and TONS of unlocks , ranks ,attainable medals, new maps every patch etc.

and if everyone needs x64 multi core computers, than screw that. very few people are going to buy a whole new super computer just for one game. or many games. not enough to make money off anyway, when they could release it for XB 360 and PS3 for only 500 dollar sticker price.

Comment

EA/DICE isn't doing anything that every other major development house hasn't done in the past. They have a good engine here for the most part and why not get everything you can out of it? There are plenty of people who will enjoy the future warfare feel of this title. Look at the genre that Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is set in or for that matter the upcoming title Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Those companies feel like people want this genre and BF2142 is simply following the market.

For those who are mad about them rehashing this engine to death I really see nothing wrong with doing so. Novalogic did it for years and continues to do it to this day. Of course if you look at their history it also cost them an entire community as well as becoming a real player in the gaming industry. I'm pretty sure EA/DICE is a bit smarter then they were and lets all just focus on hoping that Battlefield 3 is set in a real time setting rather then continuing the future wars.

Comment

Very true, although I'm sure a lot of the existing game engine will port over to DX10 and vice-versa. I doubt a game released that can only run DX10 will do very well initially given it will take a while for Vista to reach critical mass, I doubt I will rush out to buy Vista and whatever hardware is required to run it in order to play BF3.

Comment

ahh! technical jargon! what the hell is dx10?

what does this mean for those of us without a super computer?

Comment

Originally posted by IntensivCareBear

DX10 is the next DirectX. And going off the whitepapers, it's going to be the most convoluted technology in the history of graphics programming, beating even the PS2's vector units.

From the description, it's basically just DX9 except capable of going a lot faster.

Comment

Originally posted by IntensivCareBear

Its Direct X 10, Microsofts new graphical framework which will ONLY run on Vista. It won't necessarily be faster, but most likely real purdy. So if any DX10 games come out, you'll only be able to play them with a DX10 graphics card and Windows Vista. I sincerely hope no games like that come out for the next 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
                  Its Direct X 10, Microsofts new graphical framework which will ONLY run on Vista. It won't necessarily be faster, but most likely real purdy. So if any DX10 games come out, you'll only be able to play them with a DX10 graphics card and Windows Vista. I sincerely hope no games like that come out for the next 2 years.
                  Purdy, no. Shader model 3 put branching into pixel shaders, which is easily the most important step to date. I haven't kept up too well (since the game I'm working on is still using SM2), but I think you can already reference textures in vertex shaders, which kind of completes the usefulness of programmability.

DX10, from the papers I read, was basically supposed to implement a totally-different way of communicating data with the card, which would do nothing for visuals but would supposedly make performance a LOT better.

Comment

Well put RocketChild & 2112.(TroyBoB, if you don't understand something don't comment on it) I personally have no interest in any game like BF 2142, it's just sad to see a title like Battlefield turn to fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldedWolf
                      (TroyBoB, if you don't understand something don't comment on it)
                      oh hello

if you don't understand my question - then don't comment on it.

its a question to clear up the post - not a comment. if i don't understand something, i won't comment on it, but i will question it.

Maybe if you understand his logic, you could enlighten me instead of "commenting" about my post?

thats why its a thread. welcome to internet forums. (ok that was flaming - i'm sorry)

Comment

Who is worried ?? I couldnt care less about this piece of sh!t, there are alot better games coming out spring/summer/fall 2006 .....

Comment

I'm actually pleased with EA's choice to leave all references to reality alone with their next incarnation of BF2.

The way I see it... if you stick to a "Fantasy" setting you don't have to deal with people like myself, who just cannot understand why a Ak-101 hits harder than an M-16 in game.

Good move. This will also work to take the "most authentic/realistic" out of their marketing paragraphs. Overall a big yay'.

Although... I won't be buying it. EA has proved to me that they aren't capable of the customer support/concern that I'm looking for. I do like their thought process though (Money, Money, Money), I just don't like being a victim of it. Luckily I, like the rest of you, have a choice in the matter; feed the demon? ...don't feed the demon?

{WP}Paas

Comment

Originally posted by {WP}Paas
                            ...don't feed the demon?

{WP}Paas

Dont feed it and use an AK-47 to "subdue" it. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by PHPT
                              Purdy, no. Shader model 3 put branching into pixel shaders, which is easily the most important step to date. I haven't kept up too well (since the game I'm working on is still using SM2), but I think you can already reference textures in vertex shaders, which kind of completes the usefulness of programmability.

DX10, from the papers I read, was basically supposed to implement a totally-different way of communicating data with the card, which would do nothing for visuals but would supposedly make performance a LOT better.
                              dx10 will support pixel shaders 4

dx has been awaiting some hefty updating for a while now. the only reason MS is taking performance much more seriously now is due to the fact that one of vista's key toys will be the "3d destkop" -- which will make significant use of the video card -- which means it needs to be very stable. if MS doesnt screw things up, dx10 will be much faster and less of a mess for the programmer.

as far as portability, some of the main features of dx10 will be available for vista only, however MS promised that making games compatible for multiple OSs will not be a chore... could be just talk though.

committing a game to vista+ would be like the publisher stabbing their wallet with a steak knife... so that isnt going to happy for many years down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X