Wireless trouble? Read here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless trouble? Read here.

I see alot of you are having connection problems in BF2. Where every 2-3 minutes you will lose connection to the server for a second or two. This can be real annoying, not only does it happen in BF2 but it happens in most other online games too. Now some of you with the nice LinkSys routers might not be experiencing this problem. Heres a guide I wrote on how to fix it for all games for Windows XP:

Right click on My Computer and click on Manage

A Computer Management screen should come up, click on the + next to Services and Applications

Click on Services

Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration

Click on Stop the service

IMPORTANT!:Although you can configure it to automatically be off on startup, this causes problems with some routers. So every time you restart your computer you should repeat this process. Also, doing this will stop the windows Wireless Configuration, so if you need to reconnect your wireless you must enable the Wireless Zero Configuration again.

Now load up, and have fun!

Re: Wireless trouble? Read here.

I think that the issue with connection problems is related to packet loss. Meaning that BF2 has a very low tolerance for packet loss. If your connection drops a few packets it seems that you get dropped from the server all together. I've never noticed such a low tolerance before with any other game. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
      I think that the issue with connection problems is related to packet loss. Meaning that BF2 has a very low tolerance for packet loss. If your connection drops a few packets it seems that you get dropped from the server all together. I've never noticed such a low tolerance before with any other game. Any ideas?
      Do what I wrote in the tutorial. It fixed it for me atleast, I have a D-link router. I had this problem with CS:S too, it fixed it for both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
        I've never noticed such a low tolerance before with any other game. Any ideas?
        Thinner household walls or knock'em down

Comment

Can anybody try this and see if it works for them?

Comment

I don't forsee this doing anything, I would check and make sure that QoS packet scheduler was off though for your wireless connection. Network connection > right click the wless connection - properties > and uncheck QoS

Comment

When I stop the Wireless Zero Configuration service it disconnects me from the network. I did uncheck the QoS, though. Is there a minimum list oif things that should be checked in the same window as the QoS was in?

Comment

its just the burden of the beast that WiFi loses more packets than wire networks.

Even using the proactive CSMA/CA doesnt keep WiFi from dropping packets fairly often....especially if you are far away from the WAP, or if its on the other side of a wall or radio frequency emitting device.

Comment

Another way to do this would be to create a batch file or shortcut containing something like:
                  NET STOP "Wireless Zero Configuration"

Then you don't need to go to the trouble of navigating to the services through Computer Management or Administrative Tools; just click to the shortcut or batch file.

Another wireless-related item I mentioned 6 or 8 months ago; I've noticed that if someone uses a microwave nearby I would be almost guaranteed to lose my connection to BF2 servers (other games don't seem to have a problem). I stopped using wireless for BF2 after discovering that.

Comment

Originally posted by jdrou
                    Another way to do this would be to create a batch file or shortcut containing something like:
                    NET STOP "Wireless Zero Configuration"

Then you don't need to go to the trouble of navigating to the services through Computer Management or Administrative Tools; just click to the sortcut or batch file.

Another wireless-related item I mentioned 6 or 8 months ago; I've noticed that if someone uses a microwave nearby I would be almost guaranteed to lose my connection to BF2 servers (other games don't seem to have a problem). I stopped using wireless for BF2 after discovering that.

Microwaves operate on frequencies very close to that of WiFi broadcasts. :laugh:

There are lots of other things that can screw witht the connection as well.....cell phones, stereos, intercoms, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJordus
                      Microwaves operate on frequencies very close to that of WiFi broadcasts. :laugh:

There are lots of other things that can screw witht the connection as well.....cell phones, stereos, intercoms, etc.
                      Most cordless phones are 2.4 Ghz which is the same 2.4 Ghz for wireless.

Comment

I am beginning to think in my case its the router itself.

At first I thought it was my wireless connection. So I hooked directly into my cable modem, no more problems. So I figured my wireless was the fault.

So I hooked directly into my router thinking that by leaving the wireless to my other computers in thehouse, my gaming pc would be fixed.

No way, still get "lost connection to server" a few times a night.

So I am thinking its the D-Link DI-524 that I have.

Payday I will be scrapping it and buying a Link-Sys to see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Stomp-GoA-
                          I am beginning to think in my case its the router itself.

At first I thought it was my wireless connection. So I hooked directly into my cable modem, no more problems. So I figured my wireless was the fault.

So I hooked directly into my router thinking that by leaving the wireless to my other computers in thehouse, my gaming pc would be fixed.

No way, still get "lost connection to server" a few times a night.

So I am thinking its the D-Link DI-524 that I have.

Payday I will be scrapping it and buying a Link-Sys to see if that helps.
                          Do what I wrote in the tutorial. From what I have heard it works with D-Link and Netgear routers. Try it and make sure you do it right, I guarantee it works. (Atleast it does for me)

Comment

My router was a D-Link DI-524 too so the router model certainly works. I'm running Win2k though which doesn't have the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

Comment

erm stopping that service will mean you weill be unable to recive a ip adress before logging in to windows so if you have a domain then you can't login.

Thanks but no thanks.

Besides wireless is pointless for gaming anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X