Boost Medic IQ, Delay Revive Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost Medic IQ, Delay Revive Points

Before I get into this oddball thought, I want to say that this isn't something I feel Dice needs to (or even should) implement. It's a thought that occured to me and I thought I'd bounce it off you folks.

This actually popped into my head while thinking about my very first purist armour whorage round. I'd figured out that inorder to boost my kill counts, all I had to do was wait around over the corpse of a victem and I could be reasonably sure that a medic would come running out. Let him revive the victem, then pop 'em both. 3 kills for the price of one.

Further, we all know how annoying it can be at times when you get revive happy medics zapping you back to life while you are still directly in harm's way. It's a pain, but there's really no reason for medic NOT to do this. They still get their points regaurdless of your fate. It's actually in their best intrest for you to die again while they get away, so they can score a couple more points.

SO... being interested in the effect of mechanics on player behavior, I was chewing over what could possibly be done to discorage this.

Here's my thought:

Delay the giving of revive points by 10 seconds. If the revived player is dead at the end of that time, no points are given.

For those of you who are code inclined, here's the psudo-code:

On_Revive
    {
    If Reviving = 1
    {break}
    Else
    {Revive = 1}

Medic = Reviver
    Victem = last_target_shockPaddle_revive
    Sleep[10 seconds]
    {
    If Victem != dead
    {give_revive_points}
    Reviving = 0
    }
    }

Done.
    This is perty rough, but if you can read psudocode, it should make sence. You'll also notice that I've made it impossible for you to get more than a single revive score during a 10 second period. If you zap 3 friendlies back to life within 10 seconds, you'll still only get a single revive credit. This is to prevent people from reviving someone, letting him get killed, then doing it again to get aditional points.

Medics are now crying... but ya know what? They're getting too many points as is, anyway. This *nerf* to their points would bring their point scoring abilities back in-line with other classes.

It would also put a major damper on the knife/revive/repeat stats padding exploit.

That's it.
    Whatcha think?

Re: Boost Medic IQ, Delay Revive Points

Oh leave the poor medics be, we're nerfed enough as it is. I mean, nothing against tanks or armor, and we don't get any toys in SF. Now you want to take away our shock paddle abilities?

Well poo on you!

~Salad

Comment

Interesting idea that definitely has merit. Not sure if I'd like to see it implemented or not...

Comment

Aye... like I said, I'm not suggesting that this needs to or should be implemented... I'm just wondering if you folks think it would make medics smarter about when to revive or not.

Comment

I am a diehard medic, when I am not Eng. I totally agree with this idea though! But I think the time should be 4-5 seconds. Seems reasonable enough. But, after they put this in, they need to include another badge for all us medics that don't have enough goodies....The Expert Revive Badge!!

Comment

Indeed an interesting idea. I have always been a fan of simply making a revive worth one point, but I like your idea better. This idea would reward a medic for reviving where the soldier could then escape and discourage "medic whores" and stat padding with regard to points, but would not effect the ability to revive itself, so a medic in a squad, who may be reviving for the team and not just for points would still be able to do so. Might be a little over the fellows' heads at DICE, but its a good idea.

Comment

Not a bad idea. I never thought about it, but it still counts as a death if you die and get revived right? how about it doesn't count as a death if you get revived?

Comment

this could really screw with BlaZiN.uk's points

Comment

interesting idea

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
                    Before I get into this oddball thought, I want to say that this isn't something I feel Dice needs to (or even should) implement. It's a thought that occured to me and I thought I'd bounce it off you folks.

This actually popped into my head while thinking about my very first purist armour whorage round. I'd figured out that inorder to boost my kill counts, all I had to do was wait around over the corpse of a victem and I could be reasonably sure that a medic would come running out. Let him revive the victem, then pop 'em both. 3 kills for the price of one.

Further, we all know how annoying it can be at times when you get revive happy medics zapping you back to life while you are still directly in harm's way. It's a pain, but there's really no reason for medic NOT to do this. They still get their points regaurdless of your fate. It's actually in their best intrest for you to die again while they get away, so they can score a couple more points.

SO... being interested in the effect of mechanics on player behavior, I was chewing over what could possibly be done to discorage this.

Here's my thought:

Delay the giving of revive points by 10 seconds. If the revived player is dead at the end of that time, no points are given.

For those of you who are code inclined, here's the psudo-code:

On_Revive
                    {
                    If Reviving = 1
                    {break}
                    Else
                    {Revive = 1}

Medic = Reviver
                    Victem = last_target_shockPaddle_revive
                    Sleep[10 seconds]
                    {
                    If Victem != dead
                    {give_revive_points}
                    Reviving = 0
                    }
                    }

Done.
                    This is perty rough, but if you can read psudocode, it should make sence. You'll also notice that I've made it impossible for you to get more than a single revive score during a 10 second period. If you zap 3 friendlies back to life within 10 seconds, you'll still only get a single revive credit. This is to prevent people from reviving someone, letting him get killed, then doing it again to get aditional points.

Medics are now crying... but ya know what? They're getting too many points as is, anyway. This *nerf* to their points would bring their point scoring abilities back in-line with other classes.

It would also put a major damper on the knife/revive/repeat stats padding exploit.

That's it.
                    Whatcha think?
                    Nice thought but I really wound'nt want anybody to mess with the medic's. It can get frustrating enough!

Comment

Wow. Really wasn't expecting this kinda feedback. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by shiremct
                      Might be a little over the fellows' heads at DICE, but its a good idea.
                      Shamelessly points to sig.

Originally posted by scarywoody
                      Not a bad idea. I never thought about it, but it still counts as a death if you die and get revived right? how about it doesn't count as a death if you get revived?
                      No, the way things are now, if you are revived it doesn't count as you being killed in terms of either ticket loss or your stats. Still counts as a kill for guy who shot you tho.
                      Originally posted by Bigtime834
                      Nice thought but I really wound'nt want anybody to mess with the medic's. It can get frustrating enough!
                      I do play medic quite a bit when required. I don't really think such a thing would annoy me much. Most of the time, I feel kinda cheesy getting all those points so easily. Also note that this wouldn't effect your scoring for healing points at all... and just might help encourage medics to work on doing more of that instead of letting people get killed 'cause a revive is worth 2 points and healing only 1 (I've seen this happen quite a bit).

Comment

First off WTF @ the medics nerfed enough comment.

Lets see you have one of the best assault rifles G36E combined with the ability to heal yourself and revive your team whoring points quickly, not to mention the medics FAMAs in EF is better than the G36E again.

I've recently started playing medic in the same way i'd play assault due to the better all round gun (G36E).

Anyway back on topic i agree completely, it would nerf the stat padders to some extent also. I can't count how many times i get revived lying in front of an enemy tank.

Comment

Don't like it, i'm a proud medic whore. The system is fine now, and nerfing it would cut down the already low number of medics on the field, making it very hard to be revived.

Besides, all this coding would more than likely result in DICE screwing up something else that is perfectly fine as it is now.

I am one of those to revive you in front of tanks and apcs! My revive points are often many times higher than my kills.

I also don't htink that being killed and then being revived should count as a death. This would promote constant reviving and would seriously **** some players off, who don't need unnecessary deaths because they have been revived in enemy fire.

I don't think this change will happen though. No real reason and not enough support.

Comment

I'm not so sure on this idea, Wargimp. I play Medic a fair bit and in my experience, a good dose of courage / recklessness goes a long way. Not for the sake of points but to ensure people are revived, even when that means putting your own life in danger. There's more to the issue than the mere hoarding of points.

The current system is fine in that Medics are rewarded for taking risks whereas if your idea were implemented, they'd be asked to take the same risks yet often find themselves punished for the effort (no points for what they were prepared to do) simply due to the slowness of the revived person.

A lot of the time, even when they're under heavy fire, the revived players have an opportunity to bolt around a corner and get themselves out of harm's way but they sit still and fail to act until it's too late. My sister, for example, refuses to escape until she has thanked the Medic and I often see her promptly gunned again simply because of where her priorities lie. (Meanwhile, I try to be up and running the very instant I've been revived.)

I think if a Medic risks his own life to save someone, he should be rewarded, irrespective of the reaction time / responsiveness of the revived player. After all, a prompt death to that same person is not always the Medic's fault.

I agree that sometimes Medics have poor timing and revive irrespective of the danger but so often I've been revived in that very situation and lived thanks to the risk taken by the Medic; a risk strongly encouraged by the current system.

I just worry that your idea, if implemented, would seriously discourage a lot of the same risk-taking. Personally, I'd rather be revived and risk dying again shortly after than look at all the Medics on my Mini-Map too scared or too 'smart' to bother coming to help. Hell, I hardly ever get revived in this game as it is ...

Comment

overly complicated, with a high probability of ruining the game more than any previouis changes...

chances of being implemented in game: 0 percent.

no offense wargimp, but EA has already thought about the shock paddles plenty, and one thing they DONT do is unbalance the game.

the shock paddles might not be realistic, but hell if it was than a medic wouldnt be of any use in game anyway. (no healing magically, etc)

how about a good change to something thats really killing gameplay?

make claymores destructible by ANY gun, ANY explosive. thats stage one.

stage 2: whenever a teammate steps in front of a friendly claymore, the claymore EXPLODES, BUT DOES NO DAMAGE.

this way, the teammate is healthy and happy, the sniper has no teamkill, just one less claymore as a reminder on why not to whore claymores and not just leave them in a friendly base for free kills.

Comment

Working...
                              X