for those who have stuttering probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: for those who have stuttering probs

I have a really fast system. My BF2 ran fine up until this new patch. It seriously sucks now! I dont even play, cuz the lag is just that bad.

I am debating whether I should reinstall the whole game. I probably will just wait for the next patch, because Metal Gear 3 Subsistence comes out this tuesday.

Comment

Registry cleaners are at best useless and at worst malware.

They make absolutely no difference to system performance except when you do really deep searches...even then they dont make much difference.

Clearing the prefetch file...not sure if that actually makes any difference other than causing windows to rebuild the file with new data. Think it speeds up startup...for a while...or maybe not. Think its one of those myths though.

Defragging...i have defragged my harddrives once in 6 years and have never had any problems. Didnt notice any improvement or degradation.

The time it takes to defrag a harddrive is 10x the time you would save in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by govedob
        thanks, it helped.
        Govebob, are you seriously playing on a 14" CRT? Do they still make those anymore??

Comment

instead of cleaning out your prefetch file now & again, y dont u just disable it. This way no bulls*it gets ur system clogged up..

This is how..

Comment

I just would wish that someone would come up with a good solution with regards to stuttering.

Ever since i updated my graphics card from a 5500 to 6600 ive had nothing but stuttering, i have over gig in memory, 40 gig hardrive, 2.8 CPU .

I am now concidering is rebuilding my pc, new motherboard, power supply and better soundcard.and a larger hardrive but i will be really annoyed if i do all this and it wont make any difference.

I have been also told that when u update your pc bit by bit eg. CPU, graphics card the motherboard original to the pc has to be updated to cope and the power supply, any truth in this.

I am stuck playing on 24 man servers or under because of the stuttering if it gets really noisy or too many folk on at the same time.

i am not sure about this prefetch there is a lot of files that i wouldnt want to delete eg, AVG, Teamspeak, task manager.

Comment

Moved.

Comment

yes clearing the prefect wont hurt and it helps some, cookies and such i cant imagine make any significant difference. But deleting ad aware and adding ram are the two biggest things to speed up your game (along with a faster hard drive for the verifying client data... i.e. a 10k rpm drive will load up client data alot faster than a 7.2k rpm drive).

512mb of ram is only like 40$

Comment

so if i up the hardrive more that should make a further improvement?

Comment

A couple of things that have really helped reduce the amount of stuttering that I get in game:

First, I bought a soundcard that can handle the hardware setting for BF2 - That made a big difference in the sound quality of the game right there.

Second check your PCI latency settings for you system. Some of this can be done via the BIOS, but there is a small utillity out there called "PCI Latency Tool" which you can find here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

This won't work if you have a PCI-E card as they don't have a PCI Latency setting. It will help with AGP cards and also add-in sound cards. Look at what your video card is set at. My ATI was originally set for 256 or something like that and my sound card was set at 128. Reduce these values - I set both to 32 although different systems may want to set them to 64 or to other values. In other words, you may have to tweak it to your system some. What this does is free up the PCI bus for better sharing of resources. It should help.

Third, check your AGP aperature settings. The AGP aperature sets system memory aside for your VidCard to use. This is done via the BIOS. Different tweak guides will say to change this setting to different values. I say go with what seems to work best, but it may require some experimenting. Some say twice your Vid memory others say half. Mine is set to 64 or 128 (I can't remember off the top of my head) and I have a card with 128mb of RAM. Tried setting it at 256 and had issues.

Essential Reading: http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html

Finally, I found a tweak related to HL2, but it says it will help with BF2. I changed my audio codec settings, and noticed that the sound seemed crisper. Not sure if it was, or if it was just wishfull thinking

Hope it helps.

Comment

ur AGP Aperatur Size neds to be set to the amount on ur video card, eg mine is 128 to ur apeture size need to be 128 too.

Comment

The best way to reduce the stuttering is downgrade your graphics settings...if you don´t mind the poor graphic quality put everything to low and you´ll see that the stuttering is gone.
                        I know this is a drastic solution but if you are desperate to play the game smoothly try It...and as a bonus you will see the load times come down drastically as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bitvomit
                          I've defragged before and it has never had an effect on any game, past or present. I just bought 1GB of ram so I now have 1.5GB of ram and I can run BF2 with absolutly no stuttering. The only fix for the stuttering problem is more ram.
                          Defragging makes a huge difference loading the maps, that is if your cache and/or game data are on a significantly fragmented partition.

Comment

One more time: do not clean out your Prefetch folder!
                            ...it is a bad idea to periodically clean out that folder as some tech sites suggest...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html XP Myths section:
                            Cleaning the Prefetch Folder Tweak

Myth - "Deleting the contents of the Prefetch folder improves performance"

Reality - "Every time you delete an application's Prefetch (.PF) file you will cripple that application's load time the next time you go to launch it. This can temporarily increase load times by as much as 100%. For one thing, XP will just re-create the Prefetch (.PF) files anyway; secondly, it trims the files if there's ever more than 128 of them so that it doesn't needlessly consume space. However you do not regain optimal application load times back until after the second time you launch the same application due to the Prefetch (.PF) file being re-created. Prefetch (.PF) files are not a cache and are not preloaded into memory upon windows startup. They are never even accessed until you launch an application. Only one Prefetch (.PF) file per application is created. There is never ANY reason to delete these files. Cleaning the Prefetch folder is actually a temporary self-inflicted unoptimization. Why you would want to deliberately hurt your PC's performance I have no idea." - Source

Warning - Recently CCleaner has added a performance slowing cleaning option, cleaning "Old Prefetch Data". Cleaning the Prefetch folder is a Myth and actually hurts performance. Do not select this option for cleaning as it will increase application and Windows load times. I have contacted the makers of CCleaner unsuccessfully and have had subsequent topics brought up on their forums locked or deleted. For such a great program to turn a blind eye towards its users is unacceptable. I look forward to the makers of CCleaner to rectify this situation.

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks11.htm in the Bad Tweaks section:
                            Clean The Prefetch Folder

As stated above, Prefetching is a good thing, leave it alone. In addition well written disk defrag utilities such as Raxco’s Perfect Disk use the layout.ini information for its optimizations. There is one possible and optional exception to this, see the " Clean, Defrag, Optimize " section of this guide for more info.

Comment

Working...
                            X