Widnows Vista + DX10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widnows Vista + DX10

Okay I know there have been like alot of topics on this, but heres another one to add to the list.

So my questions are:

When will Windows Vista release, also does it release in every country at the same time?

When would the DX10 cards release?

For a DX10 card do you need a certain mobo?

How much roughly would the DX10 cards be

How much would Windows Vista be, the ultimate version

Would BF2 etc run on a DX10 machine?

Would graphical detail (SM 4.0) be much better?

Most of these questions are too hard to answer as people might not know, but im just wondering anyway so don't flame.

Re: Widnows Vista + DX10

Vista = around $300-350 for ultimate
    DX10 end 2006/early 2007 for about the same $$ as new GPU's today
    All versions of DirectX have been backwards compatible
    SM4 = very nice

Comment

You also wouldn't need a new motherboard. They'd either be PCI-Express or AGP which is on the current motherboards.

Comment

To add to that, there are consistant price points for video cards... roughly $150-200, $250-300, $350-400, $450-500, $550+

There will be DX10 cards at all price points, but probably only the top 3 when they first come out. Also DX10 is nothing to get excited about unless your a really big Unreal 3 fan. I dont know of anyother AAA games that come to mind that are "supposed" to support DX10 at launch. It will be 2008-2009 until "real" DX10 games come out that fully support the new shaders and use them as more than a gimick.

Also keep in mind DX9 hardware will be backwards compatible, and supported by Unreal 3 and other next gen titles. I would personally wait until the second generation of Dx10 cards, mid to late 2007. By then hopefully there might be more than 1 game that supports the newest shaders.

Comment

Are you saying that Windows Vista will have, what Microsoft will call, an "ultimate" version?

Comment

yea theres an ultimate version
            http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/27/m...ista-versions/
            http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1928547,00.asp

On the line up are Windows Starter 2007; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista ultimate, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Home Basic N and Windows Vista Business N. The "N" releases are those which do not include Media Player.
            Theres always the chance of changes though

Comment

Originally posted by kaheiyeh
              You also wouldn't need a new motherboard. They'd either be PCI-Express or AGP which is on the current motherboards.
              Most likely only PCI-E cards will support DX10 as AGP is almost completely neglected by most card companies.

Comment

I'd expect the 7800GS to be the LAST AGP card.

AGP is just dead technology.

Why build a card for a bus with 8 channels when the new technology, which has a nice foothold with consumers, is 16 channels?

Comment

PCIe ALL THE WAY

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJordus
                    I'd expect the 7800GS to be the LAST AGP card.

AGP is just dead technology.

Why build a card for a bus with 8 channels when the new technology, which has a nice foothold with consumers, is 16 channels?
                    Because technically we are not using the total amount of bandwidth that AGP 8x can provide. However consider a 8 lane highway versus 16 lane highway. The 16 lane highway can handle more cars at a higher speed than the 8 lane can. So in theory although we can push AGP 8x further PCI-e will always be slightly faster.

Comment

ROFL

Comment

^^^LMFAO^^^ bahahahah......... my mom wouldnt even do that.

Thank you Max, that made my day!

Comment

omg omg omg

Comment

wow he cut the graphics card...wow...

o and i know its off topic, but can someone PM and tell me whats the best AGP 4x graphics card w/o the additional power connection required...i just wanna make my stupid Dell Dimension 8200 better...

Comment

Ya, theres a Ultimate version, its mainly for gaming or PC enthusiasts as I read from wikipediam, heres the link tells you alot on Windows Vista and DX10.

Comment

Working...
                              X