Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "penetration system". Does it really work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "penetration system". Does it really work?

The other day I was sniping at someone through one of the cement bunkers on the beach CP's at oman. The guy was just barely clipping through the wall so of course I tried to shoot him through the wall with my M95. After a full clip, the guy was still alive but he was definitly shaken by it because he moved to a new spot. I did not get a kill assist for him but it made me wonder just what objects can be penetrated in BF2 and with what weapons? I've seen the uber cannon from the mi-28 visibly go through sandbags and hit whatevers behind it, but I can never seem to reproduce this effect with any other weapon. Does the system work similiar to CS 1.6 where you can shoot through wood and the corners of thicker objects like cement?

Re: The "penetration system". Does it really work?

As far as I can tell, the only things you can penetrate are "thin" walls.
    Fences, sheet metal, and maybe wooden boxes.

I've gotten a good number of kills by firing my PKM through the fences on Kark.

Comment

yes, thin walls are the only things I've noticed so far.
      Chainlink fences (probably doesn't count), sheet metal fences/walls, and wooden planks (like at the Construction Site at Sharqi)

I'm not sure if it weakens the damage or lowers the speed of the projectile though...

Comment

I'd say the penetration system works great for EA, theyve penetrated my wallet twice now, and it looks like they will at least two more times

Comment

tin walls you can shoot through. Also wooden fences.

at least the knee must be visible for video-clipping-shots to work. I've killed many people laying down in a corner inside a building only to have their legs stick out way far - and I knife them.

A good example: The gatehouse in Karkand.

Comment

The M95 should be able to shoot through almost anything. Maybe once EA learns the word optimization, they can add stuff to the game to make it more 'next generation'.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveOnrefni
              yes, thin walls are the only things I've noticed so far.
              Chainlink fences (probably doesn't count), sheet metal fences/walls, and wooden planks (like at the Construction Site at Sharqi)

I'm not sure if it weakens the damage or lowers the speed of the projectile though...
              LOLOL

Comment

hmmm was thinking about typing green joke but naaaaah

cmon am i the only one who thought of something else when they read "penetration system"..ok sorry

anyway it works like for the M95 going through glass cockpits and also if ur firing big MGS at people that are hiding very close to corners i think u can damage them still albeit not at fully

Comment

Next time when thier legs are sticking out shoot the legs, Ive killed several people in this fashion. They think you shot through the wall, you can shoot through thin walls, and they will move around but leave thier legs sticking out. Its not hard to do with the sniper weapons the way they are. . . . . .Red

Comment

i reckon a concrete bunker is just a bit too much for a single sniper bullet to shoot through, but other 'thin' materials, definately

Comment

Penetration is a great word. I knifed a guy's foot the other day through a wall. And shot a guy through a thinner metal fence as he was clipping through it.

Comment

Shot though bridges and walls sometimes, when the person is prone and is back to the wall.

Comment

its is possibly to shoot through thin fences but stonewalls not a bit (not like in CS) and I think its good the way it is now.

Comment

I've killed many people due to a game bug. When you lay prone next to any wall and turn, your legs/feet will protrude through the wall. Thus I can knife someone who is on the other side of a meter thick concrete wall (such as the wall around the hotel on Karkand). I've been accused of hacking because of it. Hey, not my fault the game is buggy!

Comment

Sorry for the bump, I forgot all about this thread.

I know about the clipping problem already and have killed many people like this. Let me clarify, I would like to know if anyone has any confirmed kills via walling and what objects they shot through to achieve these kills. I've tried to wall enemies CS1.6 style through various objects as well as corners but it does not seem to have any effect. However, I know for sure that the higher power weapons like the cannon on the Mi-28 can penetrate through multiple objects. On 64p Oman, you can shoot through the sandbags, go through the building and hit the hill near the construction yard. There's even a neat explosion effect that appears on each object. You can even shoot through the road! (don't ask me how, it just happens)

On the other hand, I've shot at people with PKMs, M95s, FAV 50., through wood and it it still does not seem to have any effect! If you ask me, I think the material penetration system needs some serious tweaking. I don't expect to shoot through multiple layers of concrete with an M95, but I would definitly love to see some CS style walling in BF2 for infantry, not just armor brothels.

Comment

Working...
                              X