The most useful sniper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most useful sniper

The Sniper class is actually the best class for a squad leader to be as long as he knows how to use his Caps Lock key to issue orders. This way he can support his squad from a distance and they always have a spawn point just out of reach of the enemy.
    The thing is though, you have to be a support sniper, not a noob lone wolf sniper. Support snipers get into the battle from just outside the fight and actually help out whereas lone wolf snipers sit on a roof somewhere off in the corner of the map the whole game and just pick their ass. You can't effectively lead a squad when you're sitting up on the TV station on Sharqi Peninsula.

I was leading a squad on Sharqi Peninsula the other day and we were kicking ass! I'd sit about 100m off from the flag just out of the way and I'd give them an order to cap a flag. They'd just keep spawning on me as they died. If a guy spawned in behind them where they probably didn't see him, I'd pop him in the head to keep my squad alive a little longer. My squad just kept coming in waves onto that flag until we finally capped it. Then I'd issue a new order, go find myself a new spot just out of range and do it all over.

Re: The most useful sniper

Originally posted by Sovetskeey
    The Sniper class is actually the best class for a squad leader to be as long as he knows how to use his Caps Lock key to issue orders. This way he can support his squad from a distance and they always have a spawn point just out of reach of the enemy.
    The thing is though, you have to be a support sniper, not a noob lone wolf sniper. Support snipers get into the battle from just outside the fight and actually help out whereas lone wolf snipers sit on a roof somewhere off in the corner of the map the whole game and just pick their ass. You can't effectively lead a squad when you're sitting up on the TV station on Sharqi Peninsula.

I was leading a squad on Sharqi Peninsula the other day and we were kicking ass! I'd sit about 100m off from the flag just out of the way and I'd give them an order to cap a flag. They'd just keep spawning on me as they died. If a guy spawned in behind them where they probably didn't see him, I'd pop him in the head to keep my squad alive a little longer. My squad just kept coming in waves onto that flag until we finally capped it. Then I'd issue a new order, go find myself a new spot just out of range and do it all over.
    Pfff, useless post!

Comment

Originally posted by Darksniper75
      Pfff, useless post!
      Don't be such a troll.

Comment

Lone wolf snipers aren't 'noobs'. They just don't limit themselves to teamwork. They cover their own asses and get their own kills.

Comment

hmm is this a tip? i think it's common sence...

Comment

The only good arguments would be the ability for the sniper to hide in a grassy area letting people spawn and the ability to have a good look at the battlefield so as to spot enemies. Unfortunately the sniper is unlikely to get both advantages at once.

Disadvantages are too many. The sniper gets tunnel vision, he can't cap flags too well, can't defend himself reliably, can't use claymores with people spawning around him...

Also - support snipers aren't really. Snipers do opportunity shots and cannot be relied on. Especially in heated battles.

Snipers are best off alone so no one finds them, letting them kill and spot enemies across the map and get good K/D ratios.

I'd rather have my SL be an AT guy so he can blow up or distract any incoming vehicles while I'm at the front capping flags.

Comment

Every argument you've made is completely wrong, EvilP.

I don't know what the hell you're on with this tunnel vision crap. You're far enough from the fight that you can see the whole flag. You aren't supposed to cap flags when you play this way. Your goal is to stay alive so that your squad can spawn on you. And with 1.2 I have yet to see a server that leaves the mine/claymore FF on.

Try it before you knock it.

The idea behind this style of play is instead of snipers being a useless waste of a player slot on the server, they can act as a reliable spawn point out of harm's way while they do their sniping thing.

Originally posted by Robske007a
              hmm is this a tip? i think it's common sence...
              It would be common sense if 90% of BF2 players actually used their brains. As it stands right now if it takes more thought than "OH MY GOD AN ENEMY KILL IT!!!!" then most of the people who play BF2 aren't going to think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovetskeey
                I don't know what the hell you're on with this tunnel vision crap. You're far enough from the fight that you can see the whole flag.
                What about the rest of the map? A sniper will usually scope down a flag and wait for targets. This can be overcome, but wouldn't it be tempting to just lie down and fire at the flag you want your squad to attack, ignoring any difficulties your squad may go through?

You aren't supposed to cap flags when you play this way. Your goal is to stay alive so that your squad can spawn on you. And with 1.2 I have yet to see a server that leaves the mine/claymore FF on.
                You're probably right on the claymore basis. I haven't played with them since last patch. Do they not trigger at all for squad members or do they just not kill them on detonation? If they're still triggered then I can see your squad blowing them quite quickly.

Regarding flag caps. I do fear you won't cap a lot of flags because you'll be less mobile than other classes. Any other class would go on the move after completing an objective, bringing their squad to where

The idea behind this style of play is instead of snipers being a useless waste of a player slot on the server, they can act as a reliable spawn point out of harm's way while they do their sniping thing.
                It's true that the sniper will become a hidden spawn point. Might be useful on Wake Island or some such map, but I seriously believe any other class will be just as able to get somewhere and hide while being able to support their team.

I'd love to see how a team with squads entirely led by snipers would fare. I suspect they would be overrun due to lack of a good offensive.

Comment

Totally agree, snipers would make good squad leaders..

Comment

too bad you dont get any points

and im guessing its really boring

Comment

Well sniping in itself is boring.

Comment

Disagree...the only good sniper there is...is a dead one..hehe.

Truth is. The way to be a good Squad leader...is not to be one for long.... If you're squad leader and you die....leave the group and rejoin...thereby creating a new squad leader...if that guy hasn't died...you can respawn on him...ect..ect....and that is how you're a good squad leader.

/end of story.

Comment

A good sniper would be one that can't be found...and can hit people.

Comment

After 1.2, the best sniper proceeds to plant 39483 claymores at every single chokepoint. Thus, securing the perimeter defenses.

Comment

no offense but, me, as an assault unit, hate snipers more than I hate shaving my balls

Comment

Working...
                              X