This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Defense still broken...

I found this out last night - the hard way.

With regards to the jets flown by competent pilots, air defense is still largely useless. If you get a missile off, yes, it will probably hit a jet now. The problem lies in the fact that the range on the site is SO short, if a jet flies straight at it, it can kill you with its cannon BEFORE you can even get tone and fire.

I, and the rest of my team, experienced this last night on Operation Clean Sweep. There were two individuals (BushViper and BabySpinach) who proved this time and TIME again. I think they both went something on the order of 60 or 70 and 3 for three rounds on that map (And yes, they managed to get the MEC and US plane all three rounds - they would TK for theirs, if necessary, and steal ours).

I just don't understand why the cannon on a plane should have a range greater than the missiles on an air defense site...

Re: Air Defense still broken...

Too bad..... I managed to kill some jets with IGLA and FOR MOST PEOPLE , THEY ALL AGREE THAT AA IS POWERFUL . For being a chopper pilot , my kill to death ratio has fallen from 5:1 ,4:1 to 3:1 in ghost town.IF you can't aim...It is too bad! We are so sorry.
    How powerful do you want the missiles to be? You want something like S300 where you can fire the missile even when the target aircraft is miles away?

Comment

A defense against what you are describing is to not "man" the AA placement until after they have passed over. Stay off to the side a little so you don't come up on their radar. Many times they will pass the AA placement without firing. Jump in an shoot a couple up their tail pipe.

Air defense is not still broken...

Comment

I'm not complaining that the missiles aren't accurate enough. And I'm not even speaking about this in an inflamed way, so please just try to keep this discussion logical...

What I am saying, if you would READ my post, is that the range is SO short, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a shot off at a pilot who is smart and knows where the AA sites are - he will just fly straight at them, and before you can get a tone and a missile off, he will destroy you with the cannon.

Does it really matter if the missiles themselves are more accurate if the planes can destroy them from out of range with their cannon?

Also, with regards to the helicopters, yes, I feel that the AA equipment is a bit TOO brutal now. The helo's don't stand enough of a fighting chance.

Comment

With regards to the suggestion that the solution to the problem is to not man the AA until the plane is close...

That may work against an unexperience pilot, but against a pilot that knows where the AA sites are, he will just destroy them with his cannon regardless to the fact of if anyone is currently manning them.

Comment

oh..noobs still upset with AA..now they want 100% hit all the time

Comment

Just clearing something up. We don't usually TK for the jets. But I love the new patch. Makes plane fighting more fun then ever before. The patch weeded out the bad pilots who just bomb from the good ones who know how to dog fight and stay away from and disable AA turrets.

Comment

Originally posted by BabySpinach
                Just clearing something up. We don't usually TK for the jets. But I love the new patch. Makes plane fighting more fun then ever before. The patch weeded out the bad pilots who just bomb from the good ones who know how to dog fight and stay away from and disable AA turrets.
                TK'ing for a plane is really lame and to admit you did here that's even more lame.

Comment

I can't comment on whether or not you "usually TK for the jet", but you two sure did every round last night.

Either way, I'm not trying to take anything away from you two - regardless of how you got the jets, you two were both extremely skilled with them. I'm just trying to point out the fact that difference in range between the cannon on the jet and the missiles on the AA sites renders the improvement to the missile tracking logic moot.

We literally could not get a missile off at either of you because of that reason. And, believe me, I tried (I hit you guys like, what, once? And that was before you stole our jet and were busy fighting with it).

Comment

In my experience, jet pilots almost never target AA sites that don't show up on radar (i.e. that aren't manned).

Comment

If you believe that they won't target unmanned sites, you haven't gone up against anyone who is any good.

The two people I mentioned going up against last night were very systematic in making sure that they cannoned every site from out of range.

Once again, I just want to state that I'm not saying the missiles are too hard to aim, or not accurate enough. What I AM saying is that no matter how easy to aim they are, or how accurate they are, it doesn't make one bit of difference if the jets can simply destroy them from outside of the AA site's range with their cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by VISTREL
                        oh..noobs still upset with AA..now they want 100% hit all the time
                        Your wrong...

noobs will complain even if range is increased
                        Noobs will be happy after EA makes the AA shoot by its self and hit planes as they are taking off in their freaking base...

Comment

Oh yea i rembmer BushViper i usto play with him before 1.12, major armor noob, i never seen him fight on foot

Comment

Anyone who says that the AA is still useless apparently doesn't know how to use it...Just randomly point it at an enemy plane/chopper, click, and you'll get at least 1 kill...

Comment

Hmmm, I don't know about you, but I was on Wake last night, and I managed to swim my way to the US island where the Arty is. I got in that AA and pointed it to the carrier. Every time a jet took off, I shot it down. Every stinkin one of them flew right at me, guns ablazing and dropping bombs. I got each one. 2 jets were good enough to get me too (I just got in a chopper, flew back to island and did it again). It only takes 1 rocket to take down a jet, which is great. Keep in mind, jets are not armored. For pete's sake, you can fly in to a tree leaf with those things and blow up, where the havok can fly thru tree branches at full speed. So, 1 rocket going through the softskin of a jet seems logical to me.

I think the range is fine. From that island, I can shoot a jet as it takes off. They usually drop thier flares as soon as they hear the beep, and by the time I reload, they are close enough to shoot me. But that's MY fault. I should only shoot 1 rocket, wait for flares to drop, get lock then shoot again, and jet will be down.

Comment

Working...
                              X