Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After 1.2 Patch, the game uses a lot more memory

Originally posted by 18zulukiller
    lol i realized what i type after i posted it lol thats why i deleted the post.

rofl you are one funny man

Comment

Originally posted by maranello
      rofl you are one funny man
      Honestly on topic though is there anyway you can find out if the system requirments have increased on the server side. I know youve got a little test that proves on the client side the system rquirments have increased but its the server side im intrested in . Like i posted before most of my regular servers that i visit are now lagging like hell when stuff happans and i know its not me ive turned everything right own and certain servers everything is ok but on others its screwed.

Comment

we could test it in our server if he had people playing in it

Comment

we could test it in our server if he had people playing in it
          Ok im on there now but how many do we need to test it .

BTW what happend to the 64 its only 16 now are you just playing a small map with lots of people (which is very cool and intense if you are) or did we lose the 64 man ???.

Comment

It now it uses 1,100,000 MB - 1,150,000. Thats like 200,000 MB of RAM more memory.

Seriously, it uses 1.1 Terabytes?!?! Jeez time to upgrade!

Comment

This game is amazing. Somebody check - do the coders at DICE have shares in Corsair or something? When I alt tabbed on a 64 player map of wake (after maybe 90 mins playing various maps) I saw the game at 1200MB and total windows usage at 1.51GB. The loading times are much faster, but this is ridiculous...

Comment

It is true. I didn't believe it first, but i tested it before posting here. Before the patch, when i did alt-tab, BF2.exe would use around 900,000 MB (which is a LOT less than what it uses while playing), now it uses 1,100,000 MB - 1,150,000. Thats like 200,000 MB of RAM more memory. Which is over 20% of memory useage increase. I guess fast loading times is the result of this, so its not a solution, its a workaround that DICE did. I never thought they would engineer the game engine for fast loading times anyways, and this proves my theory.

I tried this 5-6 times, i always got the same results.

So instead of all the bugs with team names, blackhawk, and every other thing, people need to talk about things like these more. If i were a programmer, and the program my team wrote had a 200,000 MB memory leak, i would not only got fired, but shot on sight.

Well, it's good that the game uses the memory available right? That's what memory is for. How do you know it's a "leak"? Good job DICE, optimizing memory is a good thing.

If you only got 1 GB of RAM, and don't want it to use more, turn off the pagefile...

Comment

Some of you have got the wrong end of the stick here...

Most of the space in memory is taken up by the game engine and the respective media for the map you're playing, the more media you can fit into memory the better, it gives you a smoother performance and faster loading.

For people with 1Gb and above you'll see a performance increase by the game storing more objects in the RAM.

For people with below 1GB you won't see any difference in performance, you can't force more data into your RAM, the game should act the same as before.

The only circumstance in which this is bad is if the extra 200mb of RAM is being used because theres a memory leak (where memory locations are filled, used but then not released afterwards) But considering the reasonable increase in performance with the patch I'd say this isn't very likely.

Comment

I've noticed a massive fps increase, i can now play fine at 60fps. I don't get anymore of this frame stutter **** when i look into certain areas, and i can now play iron gator fine.

I've also played on my other pc which only has 512mb ram and bf2 only uses 420mb, as stated above with 512mb ram i didn't notice any performance increase or decrease. However on my main pc with 1.5gb it's alot better.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthgeek
                      Seriously, it uses 1.1 Terabytes?!?! Jeez time to upgrade!
                      Yar... lol

I was about to comment on that too. A gigabyte = 1000 MB!

study computing my arse! either that or they dont teach people very well these days.

Edit: So all in all, this 200,000 MB you are on about is more like 200 MB
                      Edit 2: lol. you meant KB.

Comment

I have 2x1 Yottabytes RAM so it runs just fine for me...

Comment

btw a YB = approx 1,000,000,000,000,000 gb i think

Comment

Argh. This upgrade... I've not changed any of my system specs since the version before 1.12. My PC could play that version all night without any problems. Then 1.12 came out and basically required me to reboot my machine each time I felt like playing. Apparently if my machine had been running (not even necessarily any memory/cpu intensive applications) for more than 1 hour, I had to reboot before I played. Here comes 1.2. Not only do I have to reboot before I play, but if I play for an extended amount of time on the same server (let's say like 3 rounds), the first and second rounds are quite smooth. By the time I'm playing in the 3rd round, my game starts to stutter... badly. I get "Connection Problems", stutters, missing sounds, and ultimately a crash to desktop. The crash to desktop wouldn't be so bad if it wouldn't knock my desktop resolution to 640x480 @ 8 colors. So I get to reboot again...

Specs:
                            AMD 64 x2 4800+
                            ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
                            2GB PC 3200 DDR
                            2x nVidia 7800GT in SLI
                            2x 74GB WD Raptors in RAID 0
                            running game at 1920x1200 (native resolution of my LCD) with 4x AA

So, why is it that the patch before 1.12 ran smooth as butter with the same settings and now so terribly with 1.2? Shouldn't my performance actually be "better" than what it used to be (according to what they advertised)?

Frustrated...

Comment

Originally posted by aLLyBOOM
                              btw a YB = approx 1,000,000,000,000,000 gb i think
                              And ironically, probably the point at which BF2 will run efficiently.

Comment

I did the same think, did the task manager while BF2 was running. When it was at the server menu list, it was using 153mb of ram. When in a 32 player game it was still only using about 854mb of ram. Was not even close to using half of the 2gb of ram I have on my system.

I think 1.2 uses less than 1.12, and I also got about a 10fps boost in game, used fraps before update, then after on same server, same numbers of players to test.

Comment

Working...
                                X