After 1.2 Patch, the game uses a lot more memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 1.2 Patch, the game uses a lot more memory

It is true. I didn't believe it first, but i tested it before posting here. Before the patch, when i did alt-tab, BF2.exe would use around 900,000 MB (which is a LOT less than what it uses while playing), now it uses 1,100,000 MB - 1,150,000. Thats like 200,000 MB of RAM more memory. Which is over 20% of memory useage increase. I guess fast loading times is the result of this, so its not a solution, its a workaround that DICE did. I never thought they would engineer the game engine for fast loading times anyways, and this proves my theory.

I tried this 5-6 times, i always got the same results.

So instead of all the bugs with team names, blackhawk, and every other thing, people need to talk about things like these more. If i were a programmer, and the program my team wrote had a 200,000 MB memory leak, i would not only got fired, but shot on sight.

Re: After 1.2 Patch, the game uses a lot more memory

Excellent find Maranello, You'd think the "performance gain" in the meshes would lead to less Ram Usage. Hope this gets fixed in the next patch to come.

Comment

Adding new unlocks was going to increase memory usage, but 200 megs seems like a lot for that.

Comment

Faster Load times great, still couldnt turn my graphics options up to high though and thats what counts, i now probably need another gig of ram just to combat the leakage from faster loading which is good but not really what we wanted or needed (especially if its a hack)

Comment

and I have 667 Mhz DDR2 ram. My system:

3.0 Ghz
          2 GB DDR2 667 Mhz
          7800 GT OC
          80 GB SATA

and I run the game at 1280 x 1024 high settings which is decent for this configuration.

I never thought they would increase those loading times with a week of work. Becuase it was never outlined in any of the interviews or community updates before. They started talking about it within the past 2 weeks of time.

There is no way you are gonna make the loading time 5x faster by fixing the meshes. They basically made it so that the game uses more memory for loading meshes. I am sure they did some optimization for meshes but they have to modify the game engine, core code, to achieve that.

So if you had 1 GB of RAM, you will have serious issues.

When i first loaded the map, it was normal, but then, when i loaded "other" maps, it was like 5 seconds (before it was 20-30 seconds), and i told myself
          "whoooah, these DICE dudes ARE geniuses *sigh*".

Comment

Originally posted by maranello
            So instead of all the bugs with team names, blackhawk, and every other thing, people need to talk about things like these more. If i were a programmer, and the program my team wrote had a 200,000 MB memory leak, i would not only got fired, but shot on sight.
            I couldn't agree more. That's one of the reasons I hate the patches, the performance issues are never addressed, and have been there since the release. The nametag bug I consider to be top of the list after oh I dunno, OPTIMIZING THE CODE, since it seems to be a serious flaw in how something is handled, especially if DICE has botched it since the demo, and still has absolutely no idea how to fix it. Something has to be seriously wrong there.

As far as the memory, I've noticed this as far as performance, the game does seem to chug along a bit slower, but then again, they've added so many useless checks and stuff for the people whining (multiple variables being ran from a .con file now to time your jumps, prones, etc. so you don't shoot after a jump, can't dolphin dive unless you have good rhythm, etc) it's no wonder so much memory is being used. A step backward in my opinion.

Comment

If this is how much extra memory the client side needs does that mean the server side needs more memory aswell. Ive noticed there are alot more laggy servers recently theres still some good 64 man servers but there are now many more that lag than used to. Since ive patched up ive been posative that the strain on the server side has been increased as only a couple of the servers i regulary visit still run ok the rest lag like hell. And its not just me ive asked around on the servers and there are alot more people noticing an increase in lag.

Comment

I have a similar set-up Maranello. Post patch I have started noticing juddering when the game gets graphically intense. Being close to an artillery strike is a favorite example. It does seem that 2Gb of ram is no longer enough to run the game.

Comment

Wierd.. My loading times are the same as before, and the game seems a little smoother, with no "lag" or stuttering...?

Comment

try joining different servers with different maps one after another, you will see what i am talking about if you do that 2-3 times.

Comment

oh no!
                      how ever will i be able to run all my hacks at the same time now!
                      *dies*

Seriously though, this is going to kill a lot of gamers out there.
                      With a ton of other background processes to run (which usually account from anywhere between 15-40% of actual RAM) it seems that 2 gigs of ram will go from more than enough to crap i gotta go out and spend another $100 to play a $50 game.
                      When I built my computer (specifically for gaming) I thought 2gigs would be more than sufficient, and mocked my friend who bought 4 gigs. Looks like I'll be springing for those extra two now.

Comment

Each patch is always undeniably worst than the previous one.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
                          Each patch is always undeniably worst than the previous one.
                          yeah seriously...
                          Who wants to help me build a full scale version of karkand and we can all run around with paintball guns?
                          that would be so sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by 18zulukiller
                            lol ive just looked at this thread again dosnt B=byte b=bit B=8*bit . Tut tut tut a computer science guy making a mistake like that.

lol I said 200,000 MB which means Mega Bytes, isnt that correct? Lol I am studying IA-32 Assembly and finite state machines (for people who have no idea about what that is, its Intel's microarchitecture) and i really dont wanna talk about computer science

Comment

Originally posted by maranello
                              lol I said 200,000 MB which means Mega Bytes, isnt that correct? Lol I am studying IA-32 Assembly and finite state machines (for people who have no idea about what that is, its Intel's microarchitecture) and i really dont wanna talk about computer science
                              lol i realized what i type after i posted it lol thats why i deleted the post.

EDIT: my coffee has'nt kicked in yet be warned kiddies dont go drinking lots of coffee in the morning or your body will actually start to need it in the A.M. or your brain wont work.

Comment

Working...
                              X