Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Verifying Client Data" Tips.

Originally posted by [MyIS]Jeff
    Just as an FYI, it is a requirement of all ranked providers to have client verification turned on for all ranked servers. And yes, since 1.3 (and even in 1.22), client verification has been available for Linux. Basically a few files were missing in the linux install that were in the windows install.
    If EA would just sum up ALL those informations in the release patch notes...

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Jeff
      Just as an FYI, it is a requirement of all ranked providers to have client verification turned on for all ranked servers. And yes, since 1.3 (and even in 1.22), client verification has been available for Linux. Basically a few files were missing in the linux install that were in the windows install.
      I'm sure if someone were to take the time, they would probably open the md5 files and try deleting a few lines so that it isn't really checking anything but looks like it is running Pure Mode in the server browser.

Comment

Yep, all servers have next to them in the server browser, all of them, meaning that all servers verify data.

I think the guide needs to be updated for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooper
          If you REALLY want extra speed throw in some extra ram, create a ram drive. Copy across your bf2 files and link your profile across. Verifying then takes less than 1 second. The only problem is that you have to copy across the files everytime you boot windows.
          Can you please show how to create this ram drive for bf2? i wouldnt mind copying the files after every boot (which is only about 2 times a week). Thx in advance.

Comment

Use Super disk ram disk plus -> http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php

You shouldnt actually need to copy them across each time if you use the disk image option in the plus version.

A fresh install of bf2 + 1.3 patch = 1.92GB
            Your profile dir + cache dir = 70.5 mb or so.

So if you create a drive around the 2.1-2.2GB mark it should be large enough. Only ~1.3gb is actually needed for bf2 when its running. You can either copy the files over or do a fresh install. If you do a copy then your going to have to redirect your bf2 shortcuts. TO have your profile/cache dir inside the ram drive also you'll need to create ntfs junctions using something like winbolic (http://www.pearlmagik.com/winbolic/) and use it to redirect your profile/cache dir. ie. from my documents/Battlefield 2 -> r:\battlefield2_cachedir (r being your new drive).

You'll also have to play with shutting off pagefile etc to get windows to see all of the 4gb+ ram also.

Comment

hmm not as easy as i thought i only have 2 gigs so i cant do this. Thx for all the info though. I might buy a gigabite i-ram instead. After seeing this video you might agree http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...gabyte&pl=true

Comment

i defrag my pc every day but it only seem to a small effect on the loaidng times

Comment

[strike]Before buying the gigabyte i-ram realise that its limited to pci speeds![/strike] [edit] It's actually limited to sata speeds, so a ramdisk is still faster. Check the reviews of it. There is a bf2 related one aswell somewhere.

I am personally also limited to 2gb. Its a work mate of mine who has the 2gb ram drive. Same pc speed specs but regularlly gets 1/2 way across a map before I get in.

I'm trying some of his suggestions myself though.

With only 2gb ram you can also do a limited ram disk ie. only put certain highly used files there ie. objects_client.zip(624MB) etc. This is a lengthly task as windows doesn't support TRUE symbolic("winbolic")/hard links("fsutil hardlink create") across volumes (please let me know if you find a way around this tho!!!!). You can do one or the other but not both. In this situation what you need to do is ram drive the entire mods/bf2 dir then link all the other dirs back to real disk. You can get away with a 854MB ram disk this way.

ie.

[edit] found the link -> http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2480
                  iram = 20 seconds.
                  raptor = 25 seconds.

I've just done some testing of my own with my ram drive. If I had a faster cpu it would load faster again. objects_client.zip(624MB) can be read from disk in windows in 30 seconds (winrar test file option). Cpu load during this varies between 75% and 90% indicating that its not going flat out and IO is the bottleneck. If I read it from the ram disk it takes 18 seconds, cpu is 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooper
                    If you REALLY want extra speed throw in some extra ram, create a ram drive. Copy across your bf2 files and link your profile across. Verifying then takes less than 1 second. The only problem is that you have to copy across the files everytime you boot windows.
                    Yeah, will BF2 fit on 2 gigs?

PCI speeds isn't bad. The RAM is slower than PCI so the PCI is acutally being bottlenecked. It would make little difference if you pit it into a PCI-E x16.

Comment

Originally posted by dommafia
                      hmm not as easy as i thought i only have 2 gigs so i cant do this. Thx for all the info though. I might buy a gigabite i-ram instead. After seeing this video you might agree http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...gabyte&pl=true
                      Isn't windows booting all in how fast your HD is? Those are like Raptors.

Comment

I-Ram only uses a PCI slot for power. It transfers data via the SATA port.

Originally posted by coolbho3000
                        PCI speeds isn't bad. The RAM is slower than PCI so the PCI is acutally being bottlenecked. It would make little difference if you pit it into a PCI-E x16.
                        .. and RAM is leagues faster then anything using a PCI slot, even PCI-X or PCI-E.

Comment

Originally posted by coolbho3000
                          Yeah, will BF2 fit on 2 gigs?
                          Windows says my fresh 1.3 install is 1.92GB (2.00GB on disk).

Originally posted by caseman
                          I-Ram only uses a PCI slot for power. It transfers data via the SATA port.
                          opps. My mistake.

Comment

kingwhoo: Nice tips there about the logins. My account logins were damn slow I'll have to give it a go!

edit: That login fix works like a charm! About 2 seconds or maybe 1.5 rotations of the bf2 logo now!

Comment

Anyone knows how to make XP recognize all of your RAM?
                              I have 4GB installed, but only 3GB in windows...

Comment

Working...
                              X